Good Morning---What's Happening

S

Submarine

I slept with my windows open all night, have for the last month. Too bad you can't do that at the beach!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It is a wonderful morning with the exception that the head waiter at Marys had a stroke this morning and died. It is very sad for all concerned.

Roberto

Quien Es?

Are you referring to Pancho's (the owner) brother, or his son? Cisco, who now works the Mary's Fish Market was the only waiter there for a long time, all the rest were meseras. Pancho's son came back from Mexicali maybe 4 years ago, then his brother started working there shortly after.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I slept with my windows open all night, have for the last month. Too bad you can't do that at the beach!
Sorry to contradict your almost perfect statement Sub, but I do have to say I slept with all my windows open all night a block away from the beach!! and I am getting out of here so I can plop by rear in the sand and sigh!!!! wait for the sunset!! :eek3:

PS: i will make a nice drink to take with me!! over and out!!!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I guess I should have read that closer. We have had our windows open at night for ...lets see he said last month and a month is 30 days ave, I 'll say 32 days and that will make me king of subject....

We have had our windows open for the last 32 days and we LOVE it too bad you cant do that wherever you are???????:stir: I just wanted to use the stirring pot thingy once to see what its like to be rude!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
It is a wonderful morning with the exception that the head waiter at Marys had a stroke this morning and died. It is very sad for all concerned.
Sorry, I did not even went passed Subs comment, now I read the whole thing, was that the rather large guy, maybe in his mid to late thirties?

S

Submarine

I guess I should have read that closer. We have had our windows open at night for ...lets see he said last month and a month is 30 days ave, I 'll say 32 days and that will make me king of subject....

We have had our windows open for the last 32 days and we LOVE it too bad you cant do that wherever you are??????? I just wanted to use the stirring pot thingy once to see what its like to be rude!
04-29-2010 12:19 PM #2

mexicoruss

Join Date Jun 2009 Location Puerto Penasco, Sonora Mexico Posts 217

I guess I will be the first to post my opinion.

I live in central part of Penasco. I live in an open neighborhood not a secure gated community. I have been here for a long while and I take normal precautions so as not to lose my valuables. I think that no matter where you are you should take these precautions. I lock my car or park in a garage when I go to the States, I lock it here too. Same ole same ole. I have not been broken into and I have never had a car stolen. I also know all of my neighbors in my hood so I guess that is part of it too.

If I was renting a house in Las Conchas which I do from time to time, I certainly would take the same precautions as I would if I rented anywhere else eithere here in Mexico or in the States.

Cars and trucks get stolen everyday somewhere, anywhere. There is a strong market for this type of activity, it is not limited to a certain geographic area. Houses get broken into all the time too, and it too is not limited to a specific geographic area.

So go to Gramps house have a good time but lock the doors and lock the truck.
Gee, someone's credibility just went out with the tide...
ned-flanders..jpg

jerry

Rates of violent crime are on the rise in Mexico, but they remain lower than in the not-so-distant past -- and lower than today's violence in other Latin American countries of comparable size and wealth.

First, Mexico's murder rate has fallen sharply from a decade ago. The National Public Security System reports that in 2008, the most recent year with available data, 12 people per 100,000 were the victims of murder. In 1997, the number was 17. In the late 1980s, the murder rate hovered near 20, according to the National Statistics and Geographic Institute.

Second, drug-related murders are focused almost entirely in the northern and western states where cartel activity is concentrated. Murder rates among citizens not involved in the drug trade continue to decline.

Finally, here's a bit of regional perspective. Mexico's 2008 murder rate of 12 per 100,000 is less than half the most recent (2006) reported rates for Brazil (25). Colombia's murder rate has fallen dramatically thanks to President Alvaro Uribe's investment in security, but in 2009 the rate was still at 35. In Venezuela in 2008, the murder rate reached 58, a number that appears to be rising. Only Argentina, with 5.3 murders per 100,000 people in 2007, suffers from less deadly violence among the wealthier Latin American countries. The FBI puts the US murder rate at 5.4.

Foreign investors and business people also fear the risk of kidnapping in Mexico. Here again, the numbers put the problem in context. Kidnappings in Mexico have fallen from 1.1 per 100,000 people in 1997 to 0.8 in 2008 -- though the number may be increasing again. As for the regional comparison, though reliable data is hard to come by given that some victims choose not to report it, kidnapping rates in Venezuela have increased dramatically in recent years to an estimated 2.4 per 100,000 people. Colombia's rate has declined dramatically in recent years, from a high of 8.9 in 2000 to just 0.5 in 2009.

Violent crime, particularly involving the drug trade, is a serious problem for Mexico and the country's people. But context is crucial for issues so easily sensationalized.

jerry

From FP:
Rates of violent crime are on the rise in Mexico, but they remain lower than in the not-so-distant past -- and lower than today's violence in other Latin American countries of comparable size and wealth.

First, Mexico's murder rate has fallen sharply from a decade ago. The National Public Security System reports that in 2008, the most recent year with available data, 12 people per 100,000 were the victims of murder. In 1997, the number was 17. In the late 1980s, the murder rate hovered near 20, according to the National Statistics and Geographic Institute.

Second, drug-related murders are focused almost entirely in the northern and western states where cartel activity is concentrated. Murder rates among citizens not involved in the drug trade continue to decline.

Finally, here's a bit of regional perspective. Mexico's 2008 murder rate of 12 per 100,000 is less than half the most recent (2006) reported rates for Brazil (25). Colombia's murder rate has fallen dramatically thanks to President Alvaro Uribe's investment in security, but in 2009 the rate was still at 35. In Venezuela in 2008, the murder rate reached 58, a number that appears to be rising. Only Argentina, with 5.3 murders per 100,000 people in 2007, suffers from less deadly violence among the wealthier Latin American countries. The FBI puts the US murder rate at 5.4.

Foreign investors and business people also fear the risk of kidnapping in Mexico. Here again, the numbers put the problem in context. Kidnappings in Mexico have fallen from 1.1 per 100,000 people in 1997 to 0.8 in 2008 -- though the number may be increasing again. As for the regional comparison, though reliable data is hard to come by given that some victims choose not to report it, kidnapping rates in Venezuela have increased dramatically in recent years to an estimated 2.4 per 100,000 people. Colombia's rate has declined dramatically in recent years, from a high of 8.9 in 2000 to just 0.5 in 2009.

Violent crime, particularly involving the drug trade, is a serious problem for Mexico and the country's people. But context is crucial for issues so easily sensationalized.

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
How so my friend?

Doors locked....windows open....(the windows are secured with screens) Fresh air coming in all night.

Last edited:
S

Submarine

Oooh, screens. Wow. I'll pass that idea on to Sheriff Joe!

ned-flanders-pho&#1.jpg

Ever have one of those conversations with someone who ends every sentence by attributing everything to God? Yeah.

S

Submarine

From FP:

Why is the NPSS slacking on processing 2009 data? Maybe something to hide? Not a very comforting report nonetheless. Keep in mind that 2008 stats were gathered from Jun 07-Jun 08, so they should have processed 2009 data by now. I found this report interesting:
http://www.prominix.com/sblock/admin/images/Mexico%20Crime%20Stats.pdf note the date on charts as 4/12/09.

Unreported crime is high in Mexico. According to the 2009 Mexican Crime Report, unreported crime rate is near 85%. This varies from crime to crime and state to state. Homicide and car theft have the lowest percentage with practically no unreported crime rate, on the other hand, rape and kidnapping have the highest rate with 95%. This compares to New Zealand's overall 40%, USA 48%, Canada 52% and Japan 61%.
Now that's really scary.

S

Submarine

No security bars on all the windows???? :stir:

Hey I don't have bars on my windows either Joe, not even an alarm system. I do, however, have 4 vicious guard cats. As long as you come through that window after you recently ate a tuna sandwich, your ass is grass.