Grouper Time! 2-24-2024

I went to rocky point for my birthday and I always book a fishing charter with the same guys for years but this trip was even more amazing! I’m showing pictures of the fish that we actually got in the boat we had several that broke off or rocked up and if you’ve never battled a big grouper let me say it wears you out they were hitting live bait and artificial lures and we also caught gold spots and trigger fish everyone got a grouper this trip and that was special!

Attachments

rplarry

I went to rocky point for my birthday and I always book a fishing charter with the same guys for years but this trip was even more amazing! I’m showing pictures of the fish that we actually got in the boat we had several that broke off or rocked up and if you’ve never battled a big grouper let me say it wears you out they were hitting live bait and artificial lures and we also caught gold spots and trigger fish everyone got a grouper this trip and that was special!
Good for you guys , congrats, what an epic trip !

weather and water looked pretty sweet as well

RV1

This is the lure we were using dropping it to the bottom and cranking it up several feet and repeat the fish was slamming it so hard you couldn’t relax while fishing it!
Where did you get the lures and what size?

joanC

Ever hear of conservation, and catch and release? There is no reason to land, and kill, that many fish. I'd say only men who feel inadequate in their lives would do something like this. The Ugly American is still around.

Ever hear of conservation, and catch and release? There is no reason to land, and kill, that many fish. I'd say only men who feel inadequate in their lives would do something like this. The Ugly American is still around.
You know nothing about me I’ve lived a life you could only dream about and nothing you could say to me would change that and the only reason I’m replying to you is because I have a minute but I be you have all the time in the world and this forum is about fishing and I think your on the wrong one your looking for the lonely don’t have a life or a women forum you have a great day this ugly inadequate American is going on a cruise

audsley

Scotfish, I have a question for you. How do you keep the trigger fish from biting the tails off your Mack Attack lure on every cast? I see the price on the 9.5 oz lure is $18.29 from Fishlab.

Those soft swim baits, including the smaller ones you get in a package of three under $2 apiece from Walmart, are indeed effective for getting strikes, but we only use them near shore or after dark when the triggers have stopped feeding. Since most of our fishing is during daylight, we stick with Rapalas and Yozuris for trolling and baited hooks for jigging. I can't afford to lose a lot of $18 lures, and I'm not after trigger fish.

AZRob

Great catch buddy. They all look great. Hope they taste good. Should grill and deep fry.

Scotfish, I have a question for you. How do you keep the trigger fish from biting the tails off your Mack Attack lure on every cast? I see the price on the 9.5 oz lure is $18.29 from Fishlab.

Those soft swim baits, including the smaller ones you get in a package of three under $2 apiece from Walmart, are indeed effective for getting strikes, but we only use them near shore or after dark when the triggers have stopped feeding. Since most of our fishing is during daylight, we stick with Rapalas and Yozuris for trolling and baited hooks for jigging. I can't afford to lose a lot of $18 lures, and I'm not after trigger fish.
Hello, audsley so the trigger fish didn’t seem interested in the big lures and we were catching the grouper in about 140 feet of water and the triggers we caught was much shallower and on pieces of squid.Those lures are expensive I’ve seen similar ones for much cheaper I will post what I find and I agree losing a $18 dollar lure isn’t cool at all.