HEAD ON COLLISION

F

FIESTAFROG

Im sure a few of you got stuck in the 6 hour delay going to RP Friday. For those that didnt know, There was a head on just south of Why at around 1pm......road re-opened at 8pm!!! The line was 8 miles long waiting to get into RP going into Mexico! I got to the line at 8:30 and crossed into Mexico at 10:45

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
FIESTAFROG said:
Im sure a few of you got stuck in the 6 hour delay going to RP Friday. For those that didnt know, There was a head on just south of Why at around 1pm......road re-opened at 8pm!!! The line was 8 miles long waiting to get into RP going into Mexico! I got to the line at 8:30 and crossed into Mexico at 10:45
Yep, most of us were stuck in it.

We hit it around 2-3 and were in front of the line, traffic started moving at 9

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
I am so gald I left earlier....crossed the border about 12:30....

Yeah...you always get some idiots crossing on the double lines....can't wait a couple minutes to get a straight stretch where you can see. I've done my share of hopping a long line of traffic...it's always white knuckle time!!!

I can't understand the process the police use in AZ when there is an accident, particularly on a limited access highway.....they shut everything down for several hours.......to "investigate"! I've seen that happen on I-17, 87 up to Payson, even I-10 in Phoenix. This is the only state I've lived in that they operate that way. If there are police on the scene, and the victims are beyond help or are getting assistance....get the traffic moving in some fashion....traffic cones, use the shoulder, alternate each direction of traffic, police actually directing the traffic, etc. But then again, the Pima county sheriff and his deputies that operate in the Ajo/Why area are probably only experienced in giving out speeding tickets! Sorry for the rant....just a pet peeve for me.....

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
What I hate are the construction zones! There's no warning, no signs, no nothing! Sat. morning I was cruising along about 62 miles an hour when I came upon the new BLACK pavement about 8 miles south of Sonoyta. There was a raised up ridge about 2/3 of the way across my lane which threw the Jeep around a little. (It's lifted and some hazards affect it differently) It got my attention. Also, there were surveyors with no warning. Just a guy standing in the middle of the road waving a bandana!!! Crazy. Then, coming back Sunday night in the dark.....No lines, no markers, no reflective barrels on that same section. It was extremely difficult to tell where the road ended and the desert began. And of course I get my doors blown off by an 18 wheeler passing me in the middle of the thing! You'd think after 42 years I'd be used to it but it's sooo dangerous to the motorists and the workers! Sorry for the rant but that's my pet peeve!

C

cactusamigo

The lack of advance warning of highway maintenance is typical of all of Mexico. Mexican highway 8 is close to U.S. standards in construction and markings. The highway between Penasco and Caborca is typical of most high traffic commercial arteries. Missing centerline for long stretches and virtually non-existent side markers. Poor markings are the cause of many highway deaths at night. You would think that Mexico would care more about the safety of its own people.

A

AZ Miguel

When a crash has a fatality involved it becomes a crime scene and must be investigated. The roads are shut down because drivers are not concerned about the emergency responders that are on scene and have caused additional injuries\deaths. Although most drivers do slow down while driving through an accident scene, it's the ones that don't that caused the policy to stop all traffic. When you have limited visibility due to fire and smoke and a vehicle rushes inches past you it causes your ass to suck your chonies tight. :eek3:

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
AZ Miguel said:
When a crash has a fatality involved it becomes a crime scene and must be investigated. The roads are shut down because drivers are not concerned about the emergency responders that are on scene and have caused additional injuries\deaths. Although most drivers do slow down while driving through an accident scene, it's the ones that don't that caused the policy to stop all traffic. When you have limited visibility due to fire and smoke and a vehicle rushes inches past you it causes your ass to suck your chonies tight. :eek3:
My point was that I've lived in several other states, and AZ is the only one that shuts down the entire highway(sometimes in both directions) to "investigate" the accident..... a sign of the capabilities of the drivers or the police??????.....or both????

F

FIESTAFROG

I have searched everywhere and cant find any information on this accident!

A

azbeachboy

The crash happened at mile post 64 in a no passing zone. We were at mile post 61 for four hours. The area is a hill with a blind spot. It looked like the people passing were going to R.P. and passed in a no passing zone. Border Patrol told us three people were dead and two helecopters took the rest away. We say three ambulances leaving with no light on and at a slow speed. It was very sad...Then on the Mexican side of the border we were passed twice on curves and double yellow lines... f@&*ken Idiots....

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
azbeachboy said:
The crash happened at mile post 64 in a no passing zone. We were at mile post 61 for four hours. The area is a hill with a blind spot. It looked like the people passing were going to R.P. and passed in a no passing zone. Border Patrol told us three people were dead and two helecopters took the rest away. We say three ambulances leaving with no light on and at a slow speed. It was very sad...Then on the Mexican side of the border we were passed twice on curves and double yellow lines... f@&*ken Idiots....
Damn, I think we were right next to each other.

I was wondering if any of the forum guys were nearby, we could have partied!

F

FIESTAFROG

Chuck, I was right behind you. I probably passed you lol Toyota truck licence plate says "MEXIKO"