heart guard medicine for dog

RP Life

Well Known Member
Do I need a prescription down here to get a refil for my dog?
I have never purchased heart guard medicine. I have purchased medicated eye drops, antibiotics, and other medications for my pets that would normally require a prescription in the U.S. and none of the pharmacy's asked for a prescription here. I would go to a pharmacy and ask. If they want a prescription then go to the next pharmacy and usually they just sell it to you.

If you are not able to fill it without a prescription then I recommend both of these vets: It is always good to have a vet before your pet needs one. They probably would only charge 200 pesos or less for a vet visit. You could then purchase heart guard at their location from then on without needing to see the vet. (I would call and ask, they are very helpful and nice at both locations)

1. Dr . Ataulfo Leon Felix
Servicios Médicos Veterinarios
www.facebook.com/semevetmx/?rf=254930878022841
The receptionist speaks English along with another vet and techs. The price is a little more, but reasonable.

2. Dr. Adrian Sixto
Clínica Veterinaria

www.facebook.com/pages/category/Veterinarian/Dr-Adrian-Sixto-Cl%C3%ADnica-Veterinaria-109058613986745/
Dr Sixto, the receptionist and tech all speak English. Their prices are very good.

Another option if you are living here full time is to order on MercadoLibre.com.mx. They do have it available. The downside is you can't pick how you want it to ship. So If you get DHL you are good if you get FEDEX then that is another story. Fedex seems to come here only once a month or less, they love to say they tried to deliver, but no one home when that is not the case, and have lost packages or have taken 8 weeks or more to deliver. Never had a problem with DHL and is on time. Not sure how your Spanish is...They do call to deliver and the first few times you may need to give directions if you are in a hard to find area.

Last edited:

marybna

Well Known Member
I always take my dog down with me. I am glad to have this information about a vet. I printed out and put it in my file.
thank you

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Do I need a prescription down here to get a refil for my dog?
If you can find it in town NOBODY is going to be asking for a prescription! LOL What are we talking about here?! You can get every controlled substance known to man in a Mexico farmacia. I can't recall one time needing anything more than some AMERICAN GREENBACKS!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
If you can find it in town NOBODY is going to be asking for a prescription! LOL What are we talking about here?! You can get every controlled substance known to man in a Mexico farmacia. I can't recall one time needing anything more than some AMERICAN GREENBACKS!
Pain killers are hard to get, some times Anti-biotics. But if you know the right places $$ are the key

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Completely untrue. Opioids are actually harder to get legally in Mexico than in the US, which is also getting harder and harder due to the abusers.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Completely untrue. Opioids are actually harder to get legally in Mexico than in the US, which is also getting harder and harder due to the abusers.
I disagree. It's not even close. Until I can walk into Walgreens 2 streets over and pull out cash and buy pain medication on the spot you're incorrect.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Furthermore, Tramadol, a class 4 controlled substance which does very well for moderate pain is OTC in Mexico. Way harder to even get that in the US with insurance and going to see a doctor. The patient is now a liability when it comes to pain medication. Unless you're a baby boomer... Then the doctor gives you anything you want.