Help finding lodging next weekend (6/24)

B

blackrose1973

So I think I'm down to a really good deal at the Sonoran Sun or a more expensive condo at Las Palomas. The second one seems like a much nicer place, but it's significantly more money.

Any advice on these two resorts? Some of the reviews on the Sonoran Sun make it sound a little grimey...

mis2810

I think in order of "niceness" as far as the Sonoran Resorts go, it would be:

1. Sonoran Sky
2. Sonoran Sea/Sun
3. Sonoran Spa

But none of them are "grimey". The Spa is the oldest and has the least luxurious of pools, with the Sky being the nicest. But any of these are better than Las Gaviotas. The only reason I could ever see staying at Las Gaviotas is the proximity to the Malecon and if that were my criteria I'd rather stay at the Peñasco del Sol hotel. JMHO.

I think in order of "niceness" as far as the Sonoran Resorts go, it would be:

1. Sonoran Sky
2. Sonoran Sea/Sun
3. Sonoran Spa

But none of them are "grimey". The Spa is the oldest and has the least luxurious of pools, with the Sky being the nicest. But any of these are better than Las Gaviotas. The only reason I could ever see staying at Las Gaviotas is the proximity to the Malecon and if that were my criteria I'd rather stay at the Peñasco del Sol hotel. JMHO.
Isn't that the reverse order of when they were built, with the Spa being the oldest? I have friends who own at both the Spa dna Sea, and both locations are very nice. The Sea has a swim up bar...and both locations have nice, well maintained pool areas (and hot tubs).

I believe Las Gaviotas are the oldest condos in Penasco...it was around before the Princessa was built, and when Penasco del Sol was Plazas Glorias (before the remodel). We looked at a 2 BR there back around 1989/1990 or so...that was going for under $100K.

Last edited:

mis2810

Isn't that the reverse order of when they were built, with the Spa being the oldest? I have friends who own at both the Spa dna Sea, and both locations are very nice. I believe Las Gaviotas are the oldest condos in Penasco...it was around before the Princessa was built, and when Penasco del Sol was Plazas Glorias (before the remodel). We looked at a 2 BR there back around 1989/1990 or so...that was going for under $100K.
Yes, that is the reverse order. That's part of why I think the Spa is the least nice of all of them. I stayed there last year and it's definitely showing signs of old. For the same price or a bit more, I'd rather be at the Sea/Sky.

Many of the properties are rent controlled, but also regularly have very different furnishings or floor plans. I would try to use as many resources (VRBO being a really good one) as you find, that give pictures of the furnishings, and descriptions of the "extra owner provided amenities" to get the best value. Some have great beds, other offer water toys and boogie boards for the Kids, still others have coffee or more stocked kitchens provided. Because of the rent control, I would also beware of truly "special deals", nearly every facility we visited had bracelets to identify "proper" rentals and the headaches you may encounter are not worth the potential savings. Have a great time we certainly did on out trip last weekend.

B

blackrose1973

Thanks again to everyone here for the advice, VRBO is definitely a good resource - I'll remember that in the future.

I think I'm settled on the Sonoran Sky for this trip, I can't wait to come down and check it out!

Now to find the best vendor for our trip to Bird Island... :veg: