Hermosillo to San Carlos Hwy Closed...

Read about it here: http://vivasancarlos.com/bulletin/index.html

They got the info via http://www.elimparcial.com/

Here's a quote from someone on the board:

"...it does not sound good. The international highway between Guaymas and Hermosillo was closed at 9am and is still closed as far as I can tell. The newspaper said they will announce when the highway is reopened.

The newspaper also said that some residents are being evacuated in Empalme, Guaymas, Ranchitos in San Carlos, and the fishing village La Manga outside San Carlos because of flooding. Many streets in Guaymas are blocked by water, mud, rocks, and even refrigerators, apparently. It also said that the main boulevard in San Carlos is impassable in spots because of flooding and that salt water has mixed with "sweet." Guaymas and Empalme are "incommunicado" by land, air, and sea, and they expect the rains to continue for at least the next six hours. If that happens, they believe they will break the 1948 record for rain. Many sectors are without electricity. They are afraid that the dam Punta de Agua near Empalme may overflow its banks. They are declaring 12 municipalities in Sonora disaster areas."

You think this is going to hit up near Penasco too? I'm leaving tomorrow morning...

as of 1:05 pm today (thursday) the sky is blue with some whispie clouds far down south... and a light wind...

Is it not headed your way?
Jim as of 3:15 today (thursday) the sky is blue there are thunder heads forming to the east and moving to the northeast of Rocky Point but as of this momment the skies are clear over Rocky Point...

there are still light to moderate winds...

jerry

Jimmy Stewart on KVOA 4 in Tucson should have his ass kicked.For the last 36 hours the idiot has been saying "this storm is like NASCAR it only goes left" Well this is a wide slow left that is wacking San Carlos with no warning from our "Allstar weather Team"

jerry

22 inches of rain!!!!!!

At the court at 16:00 this afternoon, they accumulated in Guaymas 566.8 millimeters of rain, while in the town of Empalme 277.7, Barron said Felix Martin.

The head of Meteorology, National Water Commission (Conagua), said the rainfall recorded in Guaymas mark a record for the entire state of Sonora.

He stressed that the highest figure on record is in Huatabampo, was in August 1972 when there was a rain of 466.5 mm.

The amount of rainfall is expected to continue increasing in the area of the state.

Yeah, I really don't understand the utter incompetence here, reading the NHC advisories that keep saying it's way over in Baja when it's just sitting on top of San Carlos in every satellite photo from the last 36 hours. Can they only handle ONE hurricane at a time?

"Heckuva' job, Brownie," is all I have to say.

if you look at the storm track and history, it's been pretty well stalled over the Gulf and Baja for almost 2 days now....almost directly across from Guaymas/San Carlos. I believe the wind flow is counter-clockwise, which means it's pulling all that moisture up from the south, and resulting in the extreme rains. I wasn't able to capture another image from the Wunderground.com site that shows it's meandering over the same area.

jerry

the houses on catch 22 beach have 2 feet of water in them...plus this from the sancarlos Forum Hook posted this on the Baja Nomads board from San Carlos about 2 am:

FINALLY back up after the last time but it wont last as we are inverting and need power for other things.

Radio reports indicate AT LEAST four boats aground inside Bahia San Carlos. One particularly desperate situation has a sailboat on rocks just below a 20 foot sea wall with the main mast banging against it. Bow pulpit gone. Owner, an elderly man with health problems is prostrate on the deck and cant move. Not sure how this is going to end as getting to him is difficult, to say the least.

Weather finally abating in the last half hour but since my last report at 2am, it was the worst of the storm so far and far worse than anything I have ever been in.

That is all. Laptop batts just about kaput. No decent dry place to run a genny right now.

But WE are alive................I am not hopeful for others in this area.

i assume things have gotten better since then but fear for some of my friends in low lying areas & out at La Manga. take care of yourselves; our thoughts are with you. and anyone who can, in between managing to survive and rebuild your life, please keep us posted.

to keep it in perspective, sounds like the towns in Mag Bay area got absolutely slammed....one report on nomads talks about 60-70% of homes in Lopez Mateos being destroyed. and Mulege likewise got hammered when it camped over em for a while....many reports of water 2-3' higher than post-John flooding
Last edited on Thu Sep 3rd, 2009 03:03 pm by barato