Highway 8 Report (July 1)

mis2810

Just wanted to give a short update about our trip down in case any lurkers are wondering what it was like. No problems at all. On the outside of Sonoyta, just before the "Buen Viaje" sign is a police checkpoint. The officer was very friendly, he asked if we had any beer in the car and I told him all I had was an energy drink - he said, "Don't you know those don't work?" LOL! He told us to have a nice trip and off we went.

About 10 miles before town a guy in a small pickup blew a tire in front of us. Turns out he was a Canadian transplant to Phoenix, and has a house in Las Conchas. He finished work earlier than expected and was going to surprise his family and friends by arriving on Thursday instead of Friday. I called the 066 emergency number for him (first time I ever had to use it) and it worked! I was happy to know that. They charge for a tow truck so my husband and I drove him into Las Conchas instead.

Lots of cars on the road (with AZ plates) when he had the blow out and nobody else stopped except for us. People suck. Well, not all people, but you know what I mean.

There was another police checkpoint just before getting into town and they just waved us through. All is normal and fine in town. We hit Pollo Lucas, the Corona agencia and Super Ley all before 11:00 p.m. Thursday night.

Other than the wind last night and this morning everything is perfect!

Kudos to you mis2810 It's sad that we only hear stories like yours of people helping people just because they can in this forum... seems to me that the negitive is the only thing that gets to make the front pages in the US news... I'll bet a dollar to a donut on any given day that there is a lot more good than bad or "evil" that goes on here in Rocky Point but the good just doesn't bring out that sensationalism as the the bad and negitive stories can, and therefore just goes on un-noticed...

F

funkaliciousbeachball

Good point, Seadweller. That's why plane crashes are news and millions of safely landed flights are not news.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
The police checkpoint is still at the exit of Sonoyta towards PP and for what I saw only checking mexican cars, I have to mention that the amount of cars going towards PP was very large mostly AZ licenses, a lot from TX, a few from CA and a few from other mexican states too, my guesstimate is about 3 AZ cars for every Sonora license.
Once in USA and in route 86 lots, I mean LOTS of cars from TX and the only reason for them to be in 86 is to go down to Why and then obviously to turn left to go to PP unless they turn right to go to Ajo!! :eek3:
This morning the weather was beautiful in PP and overcast all the way to Tucson, which made the trip cooler!!

mis2810

My sister drove down yesterday and yes, there was still the checkpoint on the outside of Sonoyta. They were stopped and her husband was asked for his driver's license. The police officer looked at it, said thank you and have a good trip - in English! They said the rest of the ride was the same as normal and totally uneventful.

She did say that it's pretty dead on Sandy Beach, but I figure that has more to do with the weather than anything else. She said it was GORGEOUS this morning, cloudy and not so hot, and was extremely happy to be there and said she was going to cry (again) when they had to leave on Monday.

I'm trying to get my plans firmed up for Labor Day - I should know tomorrow - fingers crossed!!!!

mis2810

Okay Chari! This time I'll definitely drop by to meet everyone! Can't wait! I just hope my husband can get Friday and Saturday off from work. If so, we're good to go! As Seadweller says, "Sea You Soon!"