HOA impact fee

marybna

My HOA is thinking bout doubling our impact fee for renters. I know what the other resorts on Sandy Beach charge their renters Another owner wrote that other HOAs are planning to raise their impact fees too. I have not heard of one other resort charging as much as $20 a day for a 2 bedroom. Has anyone else heard anything?

I wish my association would triple their fees for those who rent. Nothing but trouble with renters, in my experience over the past 15 years.

El Gato

For those that don't use their units as rental income - it is hard to ask them to pick up the extra costs in their HOA dues that renters cause. There are a lot of hidden costs that people don't think about - not to mention that someone who rents usually isn't aware of the need to conserve water, electricity, etc. I've heard from those that rent and have have hot tubs that they are constantly repairing them because renters abuse them - not to mention hiking the electrical bill sky high. I've also heard of the problem that renters will crank up the a/c and then open all the doors. If they do this to the unit they are using you know they normally aren't concerned about the common areas. And usually if a unit is rented out they will often have the maximum number of people allowed - and in some cases, over the maximum allowed. This all puts a strain on the HOA resources.

As our kids rent their unit out I am well aware of the need to make as much as possible and have it rented as often as possible. But I still think they need to pick up the additional costs this causes everyone by impact fees. My feeling is that all the resorts should have fair and reasonable impact fees so that those that are making money are not asking the other homeowners to shoulder some of the extra costs incurred by renters.

Landshark

My feeling is that all the resorts should have fair and reasonable impact fees so that those that are making money are not asking the other homeowners to shoulder some of the extra costs incurred by renters.
Completely agree, and should include HOA's in subdivisions as well. Just good common sense.

marybna

I believe that if someone sees anyone doing damage the resort they should report it. My unit iis used less than 8 days a month. Many units are used fulltime. An owner that lives there fulltime said she did not like paying for my guest to use the pools. That is why there is Privada.

Jslknl

I wish my association would triple their fees for those who rent. Nothing but trouble with renters, in my experience over the past 15 years.
It is a shame actually. We are awesome renters. We rent at Sonoran sun for the same person and I clean before I leave and all of us treat the unit as if it were our things. I hope that our owner loves us. I strip the bed before I leave and have everything clean including dishes! We love where we stay and come about 8-10 times a year. Hope our owner likes us as much!

El Gato

I bet all owners (and HOAs) wish their renters were like you. Probably most are - as they say, it only takes one or two bad apples to spoil it for everyone.

And I'm willing to bet that the owner of the unit you rent is delighted to have you.

mis2810

It is a shame actually. We are awesome renters. We rent at Sonoran sun for the same person and I clean before I leave and all of us treat the unit as if it were our things. I hope that our owner loves us. I strip the bed before I leave and have everything clean including dishes! We love where we stay and come about 8-10 times a year. Hope our owner likes us as much!
That's what I do too. I wash all our dirty clothes before we come home anyway so I throw the sheets and towels in too. All garbage is taken out, dishes clean and put away and counters wiped down. I'd be embarrassed to leave a dirty condo!

I would have been extremely happy to have renters like you when I rented my house. After one year I decided it was not worth the expense and issues caused by inconsiderate renters. To top it off, my property managers at that time told me I was expected too much from the renters. He told me renters come here to have a good time and let their hair down. I rented for almost 12 years before I bought and although we had good times, we were always aware of taking care of the property.

mis2810

It's one thing to let your hair down, it's another thing to abuse someone's property. That is unacceptable. Seriously - even if I had a guest with me that drank to much and got sick - I would never leave it like that. I'd clean it up! Or make the puker clean it up! I hope my good karma helps me if I own a condo that's in the rental pool. Are there any resorts that charge damage deposits? I would think if someone had $75-$100 at stake they'd be more likely to care. My big thing is going to be kill switches on the doors for the A/C.

marybna

I have had 4 places over time at RP. My first was at Sonoran Spa . four years I had no damage done. Renters were were great. My last place is Bella. 10 years. I have to replace glass and some plates but nothing major. I have had the same beach towels for 5 years. Yes they are faded. My boggie board finally disappeared. CDs and DVDs seem to last. Maybe because I have 1 bedroom I am luckier. I did have a magic stolen. I emailed them, they turned it off and sent me a new one.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
For comparison purposes, Las Palomas has a 3% impact fee that goes to the HOA (this amount is based on the rental rate). 2% or so in addition is collected from the renter for impact to the unit (ie. damage under $50 or so, light bulb replacements, remotes, 2-3 year linen replacement, batteries). I believe the total collected from the renter is 7.9% of the rental rate (another 2% or so is for lodging taxes). As an example a rate of $200 per night will generate an extra $15.80 (HOA impact fee, taxes and owner impact on their unit).