Home port update

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
A formal announcement, with a commitment from at least one cruise operator, is expected sometime in February, with construction to commence in March or April. Two 330 meter platforms will accommodate ships capable of carrying 4000 passengers, plus 2500 crew. Projected completion date is January, 2015

mis2810

Costa Concordia wreck: What we know a week later - CSMonitor.com something to look forward too.....So how will this impact condo owners that don't rent? It seems like a bit of a nightmare to me...the circus comes to town and never leaves
That's the downside. I've been thinking about the typical cruise ship passenger and all that comes with them. Think of all the bars and restaurants that will open in the desert. For the local economy its great - for trying to keep the tranquility of what we have it's not the best case scenario. I would hope that they would try to control growth in a beneficial way. I've been on one cruise in my life 20 years ago and never wanted to go again. Trapped on a ship with gluttenous Americans isn't my idea of a good time. Getting off the ship in St. Martin was an physical assault of of vendors, hawkers, menus in your face, duty free jewelry, alcohol, designer bags and perfume. I hope PP never becomes that. But, I realize how hypocritical I sound, when I think of people like LadyJeeper and El Gato, who miss the "real" PP of the past.

Roberto

Remember this will be a departure location, not a stop on the tour. I think the best impact will be for jobs for locals, both construction and operations. Seems to me that departures would be scheduled to accomodate drivers from AZ and Cali and not require overnight land stay in Penasco prior to departure. That would add significantly to the cost of the cruise for the vacationers. Will not hurt local shopping but my guess is that it will not be a huge boost in those areas of the local economy. Bet they will save the cash for stops in Cabo or where ever. Probably will be a lot of tour busses doing transport as well. Should expose the town to new clientele though.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I for one think if it is properly implemented that it will be a positive booster. I know for a fact that it will add local shuttle jobs and tour vans just for quick excursions into town which even though it will bring competition to that arena will be a great thing for us at Penasco Recreation as it will add legitimacy to what we do to the local government.

beachlover56

Stuck in the Midwest
Seems to me likely that the airport would finally get utilized - there would be regular commercial flights from different American cities coming and going.

garyd

What I see as the biggest impact for PP is it will expose us to people who would have never thought of coming here. Since they will be coming to board a ship they will not even have us in mind but after seeing us they may want to come back to vacation. Even though a home port will bring some money and jobs to PP I see it more as a marketing tool IF we make PP a little better than it is today. IMHO

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
What I see as the biggest impact for PP is it will expose us to people who would have never thought of coming here. Since they will be coming to board a ship they will not even have us in mind but after seeing us they may want to come back to vacation. Even though a home port will bring some money and jobs to PP I see it more as a marketing tool IF we make PP a little better than it is today. IMHO

Time to clean up Sonoyta and all of the rusted out chain-link fencing and trash around the resorts and in town!

Dry Heat, It is Pic #12 from the new photos of the Home Port: Puerto Penasco Home Port | Facebook
Puerto Penasco Home Port post, that was posted by Jim R. If that is going to happen to our area and I hope it is a mistake, better sell before everything becomes worth a whole lot less and time to look at some other places in Mexico to vacation. Bottom line is the RP we all love will become a money well for those who own the well if that does happen.

jerry

2 for 1 drink tokes For every bag of cruise ship garbage collected in front of the pigeon coops at my soon to open restaurant in santo Tomas...60 miles away from this giant project .

Jim Bob

User is currently banned
2 for 1 drink tokes For every bag of cruise ship garbage collected in front of the pigeon coops at my soon to open restaurant in santo Tomas...60 miles away from this giant project .
If I may ask sir, what is referenced thee with here with the term if I may be so blunt as to inquire of the meaning of "pigeon coops" thereby being no such reference in the given Czechoslovakian trait pronouns, if thee must perform a research of said inquire there is no time table as such placed on thee,