Homeland Security is finally telling the truth!

J

Jamie75

Check out this article. Too bad it's a day late and a dollar short! There is no doubt the current economic situation isn't helping Penasco tourism, but I don't think it's the reason RP hotels and condos were receiving 20 cancellations a day two weeks ago.(I was told this by Chili and Saul at JC'S on 13th).

Pass this along if you love Penasco! ;)

http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=9996673

The Homeland Security Department's attache to Mexico says the violence in Mexico is not as dangerous to tourists as has been portrayed.

Speaking to a House subcommittee on Thursday, Alonzo Pena said the violence is in isolated areas of the country and only affects the people involved in criminal activity.

He said the violence is not affecting U.S. citizens visiting Mexico.

Earlier this month, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives warned college students on spring breaks not to travel to parts of northern Mexico because it was too dangerous.

In February, the State Department advised travelers to avoid areas of prostitution and drug-dealing in Mexico.

You think this will get anywhere near the kind of air time all the "Danger! Danger, Will Robinson" stuff has been getting? As you say, a day late and a dollar short, I'm afraid. Just this morning MSNBC, Fox and CNN were full of the story that Mexico is now considered the 3rd most serious threat against the US's national security. I think it will mostly be reporting (I use that term lightly) as usual.

I also think that Americans who can't even find their own state on a map aren't likely to make any distinctions about where all the violence is taking place in Mexico and judge accordingly. It's sad and very VERY frustrating.

I need a half gallon of Tin Roof Sundae ice cream, please. Just one spoon.

J

Jamie75

You are so right La Huerita. The damage is done and it will take much more than this little article that is receiving NO air time for tourism to recover. I was just at lunch and luckily CNN had a headline(could hear what was being said..)but it said US: Mexico is not a threat. So basically the media is just having complete hayday with this whole situation..it's ridiculous.

I agree...I will take a 1/2 gallon of the tin roof as well... :cry:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, sheeple!!!!
When one of my acquaintances heard I was going to Rocky Point last week, he said,"it's been nice knowin' ya." I said what are you talking about as I had always thought he was level headed and then he started spewing all that crap they are feeding us. I said, "there is no more problem now than there has been for the last 20 years. If you stay away from the drug areas etc., you'll be fine." He said, you don't know, you are not the state dept. blah blah blah. I'm sorry but I laughed in his face and said, I'm better than the state dept., I've been going there for 42 years.....

I'll take Bunny Tracks

B

bahiatrader

Times haven't changed that much. As I said in an earlier thread, Mexico always gets bad press. Good news doesn't sell. I can remember people saying I was crazy going to Mexico in the 60s. Talk about primitive! The Mexican culture is warm. I never felt comfortable with hugging a man before I went to Mexico. Now I take it as a gesture of true sincere frienship. I had students hug me when I was teaching in Tampico, and I returned the hug with the same sincerity. In the US, I'd be up against Children's Services on sex charges.
The crime and violence is just as much of a problem for the people of Mexico as it is for the Norte Americanos. Cities in Mexico are pretty much the same as in the US or anywhere in the world. If you stay out of certain areas, you're not apt to have any problems. If you do have a problem, ask a Mexican and they will probably help you. It's part of the culture.

:mexico: What really chaps my hide is today I heard that they are no longer going to use the term ENEMY COMBATANT....

It must be so much easier to just go ahead and choke off a major part of the economy for us here in RP and the rest of MX... and forget about the people that are trying to kill everyone in the U.S.

It's like it's an offset for all the money the illegals were earning and sending home to support their families by working jobs no one in the U.S. would do anyway :usa:

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ The latest word from south of Tucson is that, ~~~ about 1/2 the way from the border, (Lukeville ) to PP
that mountain range, where that little shrine is, where those 2-killings took place a few yrs. ago, ~~~ that there are shots being fired at the cars &
RV's, ~~~ from the hill tops, ~~~ You must be kidding me, ~~~

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Puh-leeze!
No, not even, no way, no how!!!!!!

B

bahiatrader

The only way I can see to solve the economic problem in Puerto Peñasco is to spend some of the new influx of gringo money on some good advertizing, showing what a safe, good time can be had in Rocky Point. There's no damn conspiracy to do Rocky Point in. The media picks up on a minor point and blows it out of proportion so they can sell advertizing. The rumor mongering press just has to be outdone by good advertising. If nobody in Rocky Point wants to spend a little money to get some business, they need to go under. Hire some good professionals to put on an advertizing campaign. Good advertizing is the only way you're going to overcome the stigma. There's still lots of opportunity in Puerto Peñasco, but it ain't just gonna fall in your laps. People need to know it's a good place to go. Quit your damn negative whining and do something about it or go under.

S

Submarine

Maybe it's all a conspiracy to get condo owners to default so they can be bought up at bargain prices by land barons and then resold during the next boom time.
I think this might be a job for Steven Seagal or Jean-claude Van Damme. Too bad they are both over the hill now, you're all screwed!