how can i register my car in AZ living in Cabo

garyd

My car registration expires in September and I went on line to see if i could renew but it said I needed an emissions test. Does anyone know how I can register my car in AZ or any US State without having to bring it back to do so?

Terry C

Emissions tests are required. I don't know if there are any extentions you can do. Check on the ServiceArizona web site and see if there is a form to fill out for an extention. Some people used to register their vechile in Ajo and have a Lukeville PO box. I heard Emissions are not required there.

garyd

Emissions tests are required. I don't know if there are any extentions you can do. Check on the ServiceArizona web site and see if there is a form to fill out for an extention. Some people used to register their vechile in Ajo and have a Lukeville PO box. I heard Emissions are not required there.
Long way from Cabo to drive but thanks for the feedback

ddez

There is a out of state exemption form you can fill out I did one for my son once. Check the servicearizon I think that's where I got the form. After one year it was easier to change his address to my home address in Pinal County we do not have emissions test hope this helps

garyd

There is a out of state exemption form you can fill out I did one for my son once. Check the servicearizon I think that's where I got the form. After one year it was easier to change his address to my home address in Pinal County we do not have emissions test hope this helps
Thanks, I will check it out. Gary

garyd

I looked online but couldn't find anything

jerry

Gary if you had address in say Cochise county the test is waved....I know a guy that could rent you a place...till the mail came

ddez

the form is on servicearizona.com look on the right hand side under adeq emissions will take you to another page then go halfway down the page you will find the form I have a form but cant attach it for some reason

garyd

the form is on servicearizona.com look on the right hand side under adeq emissions will take you to another page then go halfway down the page you will find the form I have a form but cant attach it for some reason
I got it. Thanks so much. Gary

Roberto

That exwmption form also relieves you of the requirement to have US insurance, can be a nice savings too.

garyd

That exwmption form also relieves you of the requirement to have US insurance, can be a nice savings too.
Im a little concerned where it talks about getting a Law Enforcement official to sign off on it. that could be challenging

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Depending on how long you plan to be a resident in Mexico, depending on how old your car is, and depending on your immigration status, you may choose to import your car into Mexico. In Sonora 2 different plates are available. Mexico Fronteriza and Mexico National. For cars 6 years old and newer you can only obtain a Fronteriza plate which allows you to drive in the Northern part of mainland Mexico, if you want to drive past Caborca you will need a temporary stamp for your car ($40.00) If your car is older than 6 years then you can import it as a National giving you access to the entire country of Mexico. As I have imported both of my vehicles and one of them twice.....I think as a Mexican resident it is the way to go, some will say "hey it's too expensive, or it's not "really" necessary to import" but for us we plan on being here until we die so it made sense to us.

Roberto

Im a little concerned where it talks about getting a Law Enforcement official to sign off on it. that could be challenging
I filed the for for a truck I owned and do not recall having to have anyone sign off. Just signed certifying the vehicle would not be driven on the public highways.

Depending on how long you plan to be a resident in Mexico, depending on how old your car is, and depending on your immigration status, you may choose to import your car into Mexico. In Sonora 2 different plates are available. Mexico Fronteriza and Mexico National. For cars 6 years old and newer you can only obtain a Fronteriza plate which allows you to drive in the Northern part of mainland Mexico, if you want to drive past Caborca you will need a temporary stamp for your car ($40.00) If your car is older than 6 years then you can import it as a National giving you access to the entire country of Mexico. As I have imported both of my vehicles and one of them twice.....I think as a Mexican resident it is the way to go, some will say "hey it's too expensive, or it's not "really" necessary to import" but for us we plan on being here until we die so it made sense to us.
I have a car that's over 6 yrs old with US Plates. You mentioned it could be imported if you have resident status in Mexico. Do you still pay a import duty if you are a resident, if so what % is it?
Thanks

garyd

I filed the for for a truck I owned and do not recall having to have anyone sign off. Just signed certifying the vehicle would not be driven on the public highways.
The form I saw said it had to be signed off by a law enforcement official.