How important is the expiration date on heartworm Rx?

Kea

I just found an old box of Tri-Heart Plus for dogs 26 - 50 lbs. But it shows an expiration date of Sept 2010. Should I throw them away or can any of the animal charities use them? (I can bring them down next month.)

In general, I take expiration dates with a small grain of salt. But this is two years old and a bit past my comfort zone. Just wanted to check with those "more in the know" as to how much leeway was in these dates. I know the expiration dates mean more for some products than for others.

joester

2 salty dawgs
from what I remember, those "pills" are sealed individually, correct? if still sealed, they shouild be fine.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
My most frequent fishing partner Trent is a clinical (hospital) Pharmacist, and he told me many times that the expiration dates on most non-antibiotic and non-steroidal commercial drugs are effectively meaningless.

The effectivelness of the active ingredient may have decreased by a microscopically miniscule amount over time, but if the tablets are sealed, then pay the expiration date little mind...

Kea

Sounds good. I considered asking my vet, but was sure they would say to throw them away. After all, they make a lot of money selling the meds.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
She said as long as they are individually sealed and have been kept between 40 and 80 degrees, they are fine. She also said for you to take them to the vet to whom you are going to donate them, tell him the history and let him or her decide....

Kea

Humm, well I can't verify the temperature. I found them in a cabinet in the RV. Not sure how long they've been there. But I'm pretty sure the temp got over 80 when the RV was in storage in Peñasco and / or Austin.

Thanks for checking. And I will disclose the history.

jerry

Should be good..my neighbor does his own vet stuff (you do that wheen you have 500 head of cattle,50 goats,10 dogs and 8 cats! he uses the stuff on himself too (not heartworm!) The animal antibiotics are high quality. Many people have valuable race horses, show dogs and cats and if their antibiotics were not quality the vets would get sued.

Doxycycline, tetracycline, oxytetracycline are available over the counter for live stock in farm supply stores.

Doxycycline is very good because it successfully fights the biowar/new/emerging/chronic diseases.

Like MRSA, Lyme, CFS, Gulf War Illness, MS, arthritis, diabetes, chrones, .

Kenny

I just recently went into our feed and seed up here in Prescott, Olsons, for some tetracycline powder for the Spooky cat and sometimes me, and found they weren't carrying it any longer. I thought I'd have to pay more at the fish store, but they've always had it in capsules there for ick and fin rot etc. I couldn't find it on the shelf so I asked the gal where it was. "Oh, we don't carry that anymore, people were using it on themselves". I said "well yeah, what do you think that they had one batch for animals and one for humans"?

jerry

I just recently went into our feed and seed up here in Prescott, Olsons, for some tetracycline powder for the Spooky cat and sometimes me, and found they weren't carrying it any longer. I thought I'd have to pay more at the fish store, but they've always had it in capsules there for ick and fin rot etc. I couldn't find it on the shelf so I asked the gal where it was. "Oh, we don't carry that anymore, people were using it on themselves". I said "well yeah, what do you think that they had one batch for animals and one for humans"?
The guy I built hidden doors for panic/2012 room installs in the Midwest stockpiles the animal meds in large amounts for his customers.