How to keep my air conditiong unit from corroding?

mondone

Whitecaps
Just googled the problem and there are many products that claim to give up to a years protection. Many products claim to dry without oily residue. I use Salt-X on my boat which when you let dry leaves a protective coating for a while. I also found different manufactures have special units that resist the salt air.

Rick
Cholla Bay
Are those splits that are special to resist salt air? Which manufacturers are they?

playaperro

El Pirata
Good point on the manufacturer, some of those products are very cheap and rust forms right away, Lg and Samsung make the best Mini's.

mondone,
I only know what I have read online with exception to Salt-X which works great on my boat. The articles made it clear that there were different grades availible from manufactures.

Rick
Cholla Bay

R

reportjones

Do you have any names for these protectants or direct me where to find info on them? I have searched the Internet and cant seem to find any.

Kenny

Do you have any names for these protectants or direct me where to find info on them? I have searched the Internet and cant seem to find any.
Found Salt X right off on ebay..I've made over 300 purchases on ebay, and I've never been burnt.
FreightTime left:17d 23h 8mSalt-X Regulator Cleaner, 1 Quart

Returns: Accepted within 7 days

Buy It Now$17.95
+$7.85 shippingTime left:9d 23h 31mSalt-X Regulator Cleaner, Gallon

Buy It Now$39.95
+$13.80 shippingTime left:9d 23h 32mSalt-X Regulator Cleaner, 8 Oz Pump Spray

You should be able to pick it up at West Marine, or any other marine supply store.

I use that or Salt Terminator to flush the jetskis when I ride down in Penasco (or any salt water).....also good to rinse the trailer or truck. I had my truck wheels lock on from the salt once, wouldn't even break loose with all lug nuts loosened. Sprayed some of that on for about 10 minutes....came off easily.

I don't know if it's much of a protectorant.

Kramer

Kramer,
How much was you cover, I just bought 2 at home depot for $28 each.
This heavy dual sided material, measured to fit with buttons to hold it down for $80 I do not have a standard size unit and could not use a one size fit all from Home Depot

aihre

Stay away from mini split units! Cheap materials, every brand uses the same cheap compressor inside, every brand is chinesse, it will rust in a couple of years in front on the beach! No parts for repairs, lots of leaks! We recomend american or even mexican units such as central units and split units! Don't use oils or other stuff on fins, reduces efficiency, clogs the air flow, the best u can do is wash the coil once a while and cover the unit when not in use! We offer the units service (recomended once a year) for 70 bucks, cleaning coils, checking terminals and freon pressure, and we have parts if something need to be replaced! Just PM me!

R

reportjones

Thank you Rick. That looks like goo stuff. Do you use it and I wonder how often you need to use it?

R

reportjones

Aihre, why not use oil? It shouldnt hurt efficiency just because it is a oily product. The only thing I think it could do is attract dirt which could clog the fins. If the fins are clean is should be okay with oil. Do you think?

Stay away from mini split units! Cheap materials, every brand uses the same cheap compressor inside, every brand is chinesse, it will rust in a couple of years in front on the beach! No parts for repairs, lots of leaks! We recomend american or even mexican units such as central units and split units! Don't use oils or other stuff on fins, reduces efficiency, clogs the air flow, the best u can do is wash the coil once a while and cover the unit when not in use! We offer the units service (recomended once a year) for 70 bucks, cleaning coils, checking terminals and freon pressure, and we have parts if something need to be replaced! Just PM me!

R

reportjones

I will get some and try it. I dont go to my rental condo much so I am afraid SaltX might rinse off the salt but will it protect it? I want to find something that will protect the aluminum coils for at least 6 months.

aihre

As you said oil attracts dirt and clogs the unit, reducing the efficiency on the unit, we've tried some other products that the same a/c company applies on the coils but it is expensive and it doesn't really makes the coil last much longer, any other product you apply on the coil such as "paint" or similar stuff reduces the heat transfer so does the efficiency, best you can do in my opinion is rinse the unit once in a while and cover it, that's just my 2 cents!