How to Legally Bring $ for Property Purchase

Roberto

Just to be clear, it is not illegal to bring more than $10,000 into Mexico from the US. You must declare on boths sides of the border if you have $10 K or more in cash or negotiable securities, like a check. I know of several instances when this occurred with no problems. How you citizenship will effect things I do not know. You say the total is just over $10K. If the seller agrees make a contract and make two or three payments. You don't have to do it all at one time. You could also get your withdrawl limit raised and take some out at a bank cajero. You could also purchase prepaid debit cards and bring some that way. Cash, cajero, debit cards, split it 3 ways, just not $10 K or more per trip or declare it. There is a NBA in Ajo if you deal with them. Do it soon because there are some changes coming about in how the money must change hands in a real estate transaction. Yes a Notorio must process the transfer of the property and determine any taxes due and check for ownership, but they will probably not want to touch the money, if they do Hacienda comes sniffing around. Buyer and seller sign when all is paid as agreed between them. Soon a requirement will prohibit cash transactions and the money will have to go through a Mex. bank and YES the bank will charge for it. Dee Brooks at Twin Dolphins will help is you need it.

Not sure about Safe Send but all other methods of money transfer have limitations on total amount per transfer and number of transfers over a time period, like a month.

Last edited:

Roberto

Thanks Jim. Interesting that the only qualifyer in that was 'at one time' Which sounds like at one crossing but no limits defined otherwise. So you could, according to this understanding, cross the border 5 times within one hour, carrying $9,000 each trip without notice required !! Makes no sense to me. Also does not address the question if it is per person or per vehicle, so you could have a van load of 10 people, each holding $9,000 and cross legally without notice??

playaperro

El Pirata
Thanks Jim. Interesting that the only qualifyer in that was 'at one time' Which sounds like at one crossing but no limits defined otherwise. So you could, according to this understanding, cross the border 5 times within one hour, carrying $9,000 each trip without notice required !! Makes no sense to me. Also does not address the question if it is per person or per vehicle, so you could have a van load of 10 people, each holding $9,000 and cross legally without notice??
No No No https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL0ppUG1wN2hs

mis2810

I'm sure they do that on purpose so that it's left to the officer's "discretion". That's why I wouldn't want to ever cross with even $9,999.99 in cash. Why would you open yourself up to the type of scrutiny, suspicion, interrogation, etc., that would inevitably come with declaring that you had that kind of cash with you.

Hell, I can't even cross with a "brown" in the car with me without getting questioned anymore!

Roberto

I like this part. Course there is probably some OTHER regulation applies to gold.

"Monetary instruments that are made payable to a named person but are not endorsed or which bear restrictive endorsements are not subject to reporting requirements, nor are credit cards with credit lines of over $10,000. Gold bullion is not a monetary instrument for purposes of this requirement. The requirement to report monetary instruments on a FinCEN 105 does not apply to imports of gold bullion."

garyd

You only have to declare if the total amount in your car exceeds $10,000 (includes everyone). I have never been asked how much I have just if I have more than $10K. Also guns

GV Jack

Snorin God
Has anyone ever had the stop them and search their wallets, etc to see if they were bringing in that much.

I'll never have to worry about that situation, but I'm just curious.