Hurricane Relief plea.

Roberto

A request for assistance has been circulating here. Drinking water, tarps for shade, Canned food, clothes, etc. for the people down south who have been pretty much wiped out by this storm. It has been devestating for the poorest of the poor as usual. The best and easiest solution is probably a cash donation to Cruz Roja, the Mexican Red Cross, who are heading up a relief effort. This seems to be a good organization, faily well run and responsive. If you try to bring 25 tarps or cases of water across without some prior approval of a donation and with all good intentions, you still may easily run up against the importation laws. You would if you were crossing into the US under similar circumstances. If you've got a social or religeous group up there that likes to help and are coming down maybe make a collection within the group and bring the cash down to donate. Just remember not more than $10,000 per person without declaring!! It needs to be soon also, from what I hear from family down there, things are desperate. The government is stepping in but we all know how that works out. The cartels will be kicking in also, probably faster than the Govt. I might go down next week but I always have a problem with Aduana when taking stuff out of the free zone. If you want to make a direct delivery, buy in Hermosillo they have all the discount stores there (not mentioning any names here for fear of...), and deliver the goods yourself. Best to go through Cruz Roja though.

Thanks, Roberto. Cruz Roja actually does a pretty good job in many ways; I always donate when coming across the border, and going through them in this relief effort is a good idea.

In Baja, Cruz Roja is working in conjunction with the Baja Bush Pilots to get relief into many outlying areas (CR asked, and BBP immediately agreed); they aren't afraid to ask for help when they need it.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I have checking accounts here and can receive donations and forward them directly for anyone who is interested I will post transfer details to anyone who is legitimately interested in doing so. It is a wire transfer to a stateside bank then to my bank so there is full accountancy involved.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I have gotten request for help that is needed NOW. there are hundreds if not thousands of people in San Carlos Guaymas Empalme Santa Clara that are without the basic needs for daily existence. We can help but we need to coordinate it quickly to lessen the impact on these people.

jerry

By Brian White - email

GUAYMAS, SONORA (KOLD) - The communities of Guaymas and Empalme are struggling to recover after the devastation of Hurricane Jimena.

Hurricane Jimena "stalled" over the two Sonoran towns for six hours, dumping more than 50 inches of rain in certain areas.

The destruction was such that officials do not expect running water to be restored in the area for two months, a press release from World Care detailed Wednesday.

More than 40,000 have been displaced by the hurricane.

Organizations from both the US and Mexico are joining together to help. Members from World Care, LULAC and PPEP Tech high schools are distributing neccesary supplies to those in need.

You can help if you'd like. There are plenty of needs for those who have been displaced.

Here's a list:

bottled water
canned goods, beans, rice, etc.
sleeping bags
tents
baby diapers
adult diapers
comforters
linens
flashlights
home cleaning supplies (brooms, shovels, rakes, picks, etc.)
first aid supplies (ointments for infections/rashes and anitspetics)
clothes
shoes (new)
If you have any of these supplies and would like to donate, World Care is asking that you drop them off at their offices. They are located at:

3538 E. Ellington Place (near 32nd Street and Alvernon)
You can also donate at any of the campuses of PPEP TEC Charter High School. Hours of operation are Monday - Friday from 8:00am - 5:00pm.

Celestino Fernández Learning Center
1840 E Benson Hwy
Tucson, AZ 85714

John David Arnold Learning Center
4140 W Ina Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85741

Victor Soltero Learning Center
8677 E Golf Links Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85730

Robles Junction Learning Center
10451 S Sasabe Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85736

Manuel Bojorquez Learning Center
203 Bisbee Road
Bisbee, AZ 85603

©2009 KOLD. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rew