I know it's been covered but:

jerry

So I'm buying some medicine for my old cowboy brother in laws breathing problems (quit smoking everyone) and wanted to clear up a crossing issue.If it's a non scheduled drug can i cross it for him without a prescription.He just can't handle the travel

Jerry....there has been a change in the law in Mexico...many of the drugs (antibiotics, etc.) that you were able to buy over the counter without a prescription now require a prescription....BUT....I was still able to buy stuff last trip down without one (I guess the pharmacies aren't following the law???)

Kenny

I bought some antibiotics after the new law went into effect at that little pharmacy that sprang up almost across the street from Mary's.

M

makettle

well crap....think I'll do it anyways
Yes, Jerry. Just do it. I have never had the border folks check my own personal medicines; so try tucking it in with your stuff, and the best to your bro-in-law.

Jim

The pharmacies can sell out thier old stock without a prescription. It is when they replenish it that they have to report what they sold and abide by the new law. A freind wanted some antibiotics this last trip up and I hit 3 pharmacies before finding one with unregulated stock.

Kenny

The pharmacies can sell out thier old stock without a prescription. It is when they replenish it that they have to report what they sold and abide by the new law. A freind wanted some antibiotics this last trip up and I hit 3 pharmacies before finding one with unregulated stock.
Hi Jim, that explains why it was easy for me to get some. It was shorty after the law went into effect when I bought mine..

JimMcG

Last trip down, the pharmacy would have sold me everything I wanted, except antibiotics without a prescription, and since I didn't need any, I did not test it any farther.

I guess I better pick up some more antibiotics the next trip down....the stuff I get is not the common stuff (like pencillin/amoxicillin)....so hopefully they'll still have some from the old stock.

There is always the Sante Fe Clinic....used to be able to get a prescription for about $25.....

Sam's Club will fill a generic amoxicillin prescription for $4.
That's the point....it requires a prescription!

I occasionally get bad sinus attacks.....I've been prescribed a specific antibiotic when I do....

To get the prescription, I have to make an appointment to see the doctor....usually a couple of days later, during which time I will suffer with headaches and toothaches, and possibly the sinus attack will progress into a bad infection....then I have to take time off from work, and sit around the waiting room for a couple of hours (doctors are usually not on schedule!)....getting exposed to who knows what from others in the waiting room....then I have to convince the doctor that I have a sinus attack, and need a prescription, and convince that same doctor that the common amoxicillin will not take care of my ailment....then if I've been successful, I get the prescription, pay my $20 (or higher copayment)...that is , if the doctor has not decided to require additional tests to cover his butt...then I head to the pharmacy to fill it.

The joys of the medical "industry"!!!

I prefer to have a supply of that antibiotic handy sitting around at home...and take it when I feel the sinus attack coming on, and avoid all of the above!!!

RANT ended!!!!

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
That's the point....it requires a prescription!

I occasionally get bad sinus attacks.....I've been prescribed a specific antibiotic when I do....

To get the prescription, I have to make an appointment to see the doctor....usually a couple of days later, during which time I will suffer with headaches and toothaches, and possibly the sinus attack will progress into a bad infection....then I have to take time off from work, and sit around the waiting room for a couple of hours (doctors are usually not on schedule!)....getting exposed to who knows what from others in the waiting room....then I have to convince the doctor that I have a sinus attack, and need a prescription, and convince that same doctor that the common amoxicillin will not take care of my ailment....then if I've been successful, I get the prescription, pay my $20 (or higher copayment)...that is , if the doctor has not decided to require additional tests to cover his butt...then I head to the pharmacy to fill it.

The joys of the medical "industry"!!!

I prefer to have a supply of that antibiotic handy sitting around at home...and take it when I feel the sinus attack coming on, and avoid all of the above!!!

RANT ended!!!!
BWAHAHAHAHA!! I had nearly an identical rant published in the New Times in 1996 in response to buying drugs over the border. You can read it here. Way ahead of ya, Joe!! :rofl:

I've always been "behind the times" Stuart....

Will have to try your medication of choice if/when mine stops working (augmentin).

jerry

In January the "doughnut hole" closes for seniors...until then medicine that was costing him 42 bucks a month now costs 260 a month and he needs another kind too...It's a real drag seeing a guy who was a top 10 professional rodeo bulldogger in the 60's in San Diego and could dunk a basketball at 40 have to take a break after walking 20 steps.....