I need fishing gear delivered to a kid at La Choya. I am in San Diego

Hey everyone! We just got back from our trip to PP (6/9 to 6/17) and we had a great time fishing and hanging out. While shore fishing at La Choya a ten year old (or so) local kid was hanging around watching me and he finally accepted my offer to try casting a few times with my gear. You should have seen the smile on his face just from getting to try this out. My wife spoke to his father who has a Pina Colada and Fresh Coconut cart he parks on the rocks just east of JJs. He told my wife his son wants to learn how to fish but he does not know how to teach him and, of course, can't afford the equipment. That got me thinking and once I got back I started rounding up some equipment and it looks like I will have a rod and reel and tackle put together in a few days. All I need is someone to deliver it. If you are going to be in San Diego area, or if you are in San Diego and heading down maybe you could help out and deliver this. I promise it is not a large amount of stuff and will only take up minimal space. I'd deliver it myself but my wife would probably figure out I am not doing this just out of charitable motives and I might be doing it just so I could go fishing again.

azfish

Why dont you get a hold of the owner of JJ's and ask him if you could mail the stuff to his place and if he could give it to the young man.

Landshark

Why dont you get a hold of the owner of JJ's and ask him if you could mail the stuff to his place and if he could give it to the young man.
You could UPS or FedEx it to someone that has plans to head down. I'll be going, but not for another 6 weeks or so. Be glad to take it down then.

Where in San Diego are you? I'm North County coastal and headed down either Friday or Saturday.
I am in Pine Valley. Probably on your way or I can arrange a meet. I am still gathering some of the stuff up so hopefully I will have all this together by Friday.

You could UPS or FedEx it to someone that has plans to head down. I'll be going, but not for another 6 weeks or so. Be glad to take it down then.
Where are you located? If I don't find someone before then I may ask you for your generous help. I prefer not to UPS this since it is just going to add to the cost of what it is a low budget project.

Landshark

Where are you located? If I don't find someone before then I may ask you for your generous help. I prefer not to UPS this since it is just going to add to the cost of what it is a low budget project.
I'm in Tempe. I don't think it would cost much to ship it here. If you package it in one of those cardboard shipping tubes, I'll pay the shipping cost. Doing things to help kids is always worthwhile.

I'm in Tempe. I don't think it would cost much to ship it here. If you package it in one of those cardboard shipping tubes, I'll pay the shipping cost. Doing things to help kids is always worthwhile.
OK. If I can get this put together I will get in touch. Someone near me is going Friday so maybe I can get this done before they leave and then the problem is solved. Thanks for offering to pitch in!

Estero

Yes Pine Valley is on the way. I'll be driving down on Saturday and can meet you on the way. Send me an email jim at penascohandyman dot com

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hey everyone! We just got back from our trip to PP (6/9 to 6/17) and we had a great time fishing and hanging out. While shore fishing at La Choya a ten year old (or so) local kid was hanging around watching me and he finally accepted my offer to try casting a few times with my gear. You should have seen the smile on his face just from getting to try this out. My wife spoke to his father who has a Pina Colada and Fresh Coconut cart he parks on the rocks just east of JJs. He told my wife his son wants to learn how to fish but he does not know how to teach him and, of course, can't afford the equipment. That got me thinking and once I got back I started rounding up some equipment and it looks like I will have a rod and reel and tackle put together in a few days. All I need is someone to deliver it. If you are going to be in San Diego area, or if you are in San Diego and heading down maybe you could help out and deliver this. I promise it is not a large amount of stuff and will only take up minimal space. I'd deliver it myself but my wife would probably figure out I am not doing this just out of charitable motives and I might be doing it just so I could go fishing again.

SMH Yea someones going fishing and its not a ten year old boy lol

TLCNATE are you fishing with a sabiki ? Cause you just got a triple hookup! Lol these forum members must love the taste of metal in their mouths! Hook Line Sinker

Such cinicysm!

SMH Yea someones going fishing and its not a ten year old boy lol

TLCNATE are you fishing with a sabiki ? Cause you just got a triple hookup! Lol these forum members must love the taste of metal in their mouths! Hook Line Sinker
I got a small bit of tackle and rod and reel put together and someone has been kind enough to take it down there so I guess I can't use it as an excuse to go myself. Stuff should be on the way tomorrow!

You wouldn't say that when you see the gear got! Yuck, Yuck! It is just a small rig with 12-15# mono and a few lures, sinkers, and hooks. Sothing to get started and provide entertainment and maybe learn to catch a 80# grouper one of these days

azfish

You wouldn't say that when you see the gear got! Yuck, Yuck! It is just a small rig with 12-15# mono and a few lures, sinkers, and hooks. Sothing to get started and provide entertainment and maybe learn to catch a 80# grouper one of these days
you didnt send him one of those San Diego rigs?
bud tall boy can 50' of mono, a hook or two with a spark plug sinker.

Roberto

you didnt send him one of those San Diego rigs?
bud tall boy can 50' of mono, a hook or two with a spark plug sinker.

I bought down a nice little spinnig outfit for an 8 year old who lived in Kino. He loved to fish and I thought he would really enjoy it. He tried to learn to cast, with my help, but gave up and went back to his tried and true coke can wrapped with line !! He caught fish that way too.

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Catch anymore Mexicans crossing the border lately?!

Thanks to those of you who offered to help with this "project." "Estero" lives north of my location. He is driving down tomorrow and he is picking up the stuff from me for delivery.

Gear delivered by estero!

Thanks to those of you who offered to help with this "project." "Estero" lives north of my location. He is driving down tomorrow and he is picking up the stuff from me for delivery.
I got an email from estero who finally located the coconut stand owned by the kid's father. They move about some and he found them at the Malecon which seems to be their weekday location. Anyway, gear delivered and he said super nice people and he ended up hanging out chatting for an hour. Maybe someone should tell the kid about this web site so he can post some pics of his first fish! Thanks to everyone who offered to help.