In Speed Trap News...the mayor was shocked it occurs!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water. This is not the kind of news folks north of the border need to hear. Kiko needs to get ahead of this or the rebounding tourist business will be short lived.

My daughter went back to Phx today, she did the 25mph crawl through Sonyota at 4PM and had no problems.
But she was prepared with a No Mordida poster picture just in case. If that failed she would have given them
a really bad time and they probably would have let her go to find an easier mark.

Has anyone ever given the cops, in Sonoyta, a printed copy of license, registration & insurance?? Instead of the real thing!

So after you give them your paperwork and they try to shake you down. How do you get your stuff back when you tell them you want to go to the station?

MIRAMAR

We drive every other week through Sonoyta at 25 mph for the past 20 years, and haven't been followed or pulled over. We do see people speeding, and they get pulled over. Knock on wood!

We do the same and haven't been pulled over in Sonoyta yet. We do see lots of gringos and locals flying by and doing all kinds of crazy stuff.

Landshark

Same here and now I take the bypass on the north side of town and avoid all the congestion. Haven’t seen police presence there.

IN some of the larger Mexican cities a favorite place to pull over tourists is on the route to the airport-when they know you have to catch a flight. You go cannot with them to the polic station or courthouse because you will miss your flight so mordida is almost guaranteed. I once actually received just a warning from an officer who pulled me over in Sonoita which was a shocker.

I am wondering if someone should create an app that people document the details [officer, city, bribe.....] so if you do go to courthouse you could pull up say-65 cases of bribery on this particular officer already reported. The Mayors of Sonoita and Penasco absolutely need to address this problem and take immediate action because the police are definitely a detriment to tourism. The reputation of the police, stories blown out of proportion or true and first time experiences make wary Americanos highly reluctant to ever return. Plain and simple, with tourism likely the largest industry in the Northern sector the Mayors need to pull their heads out and take immediate action.

Last edited:

jerry

Same here and now I take the bypass on the north side of town and avoid all the congestion. Haven’t seen police presence there.
That is where they go after the Mexican travelers heading to Cali....see it in the facebook reports too

I'm curious, we have always taken Av 16 de Septiembre as a bit of a bypass to part of Sonoyta, but does anyone know if it's worthwhile to turn west right after the border and take Calle D to bypass Hwy 8 road between the border and the intersection of 8 and 2?

marybna

20 years ago I was told that if you stopped at the grocery store there and bought stuff, you would avoid being hassled by local cops. I did that for a few years. Everyone felt that locals weren't getting any tourist dollars.

jerry

I'm curious, we have always taken Av 16 de Septiembre as a bit of a bypass to part of Sonoyta, but does anyone know if it's worthwhile to turn west right after the border and take Calle D to bypass Hwy 8 road between the border and the intersection of 8 and 2?
Lot of stop and go....

jerry

Anybody hear anything more about the police kidnapping incident with the students in RP referenced above?
This came from the citizen journalist anti crime reporter in Sonoyta....he is pretty reliable.. the kids might have given dad a editted version of there part in this deal .