Increased Police patroling in Penasco

Roberto

Well Known Member
There is no doubt in my mind that I have seen an increase in appropriate policing activity in Penasco over the past few months.

I now see, virtually every day, at all hours of the day and night, police vehicles on what appears to be routine patrol in the Mirador at least. They are equipped with search lights on the ends of the light bar. The lights effectively illuminate the homes on either side of the street at night and often the flahing emergency lights are turned off. They patrol in a grid pattern.

The intrusion alarm at my home here failed and set off a few weeks ago and the police beat me there and I am only about 6 blocks away.

Today I was at the office on Fremont and a police truck pulled up and two officers came to the door to investigate a call from the alarm company, the alarm at the office is apparently faulty and malfunctioning. Very professional behavior on all counts. I'm impressed.:mexico::mexico:

How many of you up in AZ get that kind of service?
The police in the town in New Mexico I lived in refused to respond to alarms. Said it was a waste of time, too many false alarms. They parked on the highway and gave out tickets though ! Yeah Kenny, the land of entrapment.

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I was at Brothers Pizza and all in the sudden the doors burst opened cops with their guns drawn came rushing in and questioned the manager there, it turns out he set off the alarm by mistake - he said they were there in less than 2 minutes after his mistake, wow!

Jim

Well Known Member
We've had it happen at the Camel T Cantina too. We have panic alarm buttons at the bar and once the cleaning lady pushed one by accident. The other time one was accidentally pushed when the bartenders were very busy. Both times the cops showed up within minutes with guns and serious faces on. No problems though. Actually appologized for scaring some people.

Kenny

Well Known Member
roberto, where did you live in NM? If you don't want to publish it, write me on PM, if you feel like it.
A hot tea tot place right outside of Albuquerque, where a former PBR champion lives... And yes, I escaped the land of entrapment after 7 years of dodging driver's that rival the ones in PP; only their mean spirited in N.M., not just bad drivers.
3 guesses.

Last edited:

X-Coastie

Well Known Member
My encounters with the police have been positive and I have found them to be professional. I would rather deal with the PP/RP than the Phoenix P.D.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
Speaking of unusual police encounters, my son and I were pulled over in Ajo at 7.30 pm in the dark, the Sunday evening before last, while returning from a perfect five days in Penasco. The young sloppy looking sheriff's deputy asked such odd random questions that I wondered if he knew what he was doing or whether he was actually a real policeman. He said he had never been in Rocky Point and had me descibe what activities were available there, among other odd questions. After running both my son's and my driver's licences and finding nothing, he returned them to us explaining that we were stopped for having a sun faded licence plate and told us to have it replaced or face a fine next time of just under $200. Next morning I had a look at the plate and it looked just fine, like any other Az plate I had ever seen.

Any comments or similar experiences would be welcomed.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Speaking of unusual police encounters, my son and I were pulled over in Ajo at 7.30 pm in the dark, the Sunday evening before last, while returning from a perfect five days in Penasco. The young sloppy looking sheriff's deputy asked such odd random questions that I wondered if he knew what he was doing or whether he was actually a real policeman. He said he had never been in Rocky Point and had me descibe what activities were available there, among other odd questions. After running both my son's and my driver's licences and finding nothing, he returned them to us explaining that we were stopped for having a sun faded licence plate and told us to have it replaced or face a fine next time of just under $200. Next morning I had a look at the plate and it looked just fine, like any other Az plate I had ever seen.

Any comments or similar experiences would be welcomed.

Arizona the new south Sherriff P Coltrain at yer service

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I have heard somwhere, someone also making a comment about the police telling them about changing the lilcense plate because it was losing the background paint and if stopped again they will get a fine!! now, if the state prisions make the licenses for motor vehicles should'nt they be the ones paying the fines for doing such a bad job or using lower quality products, unless they being outsource to china!! where is this country going?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
When I was young and pretty and drove a Triumph Spitfire, I would get pulled over every time I went thru Ajo for some made up infraction by the same officer. He would talk to me for a half hour and beat around the bush trying to ask me out without asking me out because it was illegal. He never gave me a ticket. I even tried to go around on Mead Rd. but he figured it out and would wait for me between the high school and Why. One time it was dark south of town and I felt a little intimidated so I finally complained. I never saw him again. I have no idea what happened to him but I was greatly relieved. I got pulled over for speeding 4 or 5 years ago but managed to talk him out of it. I've heard strange stories in Ajo but since the stalking incidents I have had no issues except the speeding thing. I usually toe the speed limit line in Ajo.

Yes, I used to drive my Spitfire to Rocky Point in the dark by myself.......Breakdown danger and all!!! Oh to be young and crazy again! LOL!!!!

Last edited:

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
I have heard somwhere, someone also making a comment about the police telling them about changing the lilcense plate because it was losing the background paint and if stopped again they will get a fine!! now, if the state prisions make the licenses for motor vehicles should'nt they be the ones paying the fines for doing such a bad job or using lower quality products, unless they being outsource to china!! where is this country going?
That happened to me....I was heading down to Penasco late..after dark, and there were 2 sheriff's cars at the fork by the school just parked....one followed me out of town until I almost hit the 65mph sign...he was so close to my rear bumper that someone in the bed of the truck could have touched his front end....probably trying to intimidate me??? The excuse he used to pull me over was the license plate "thing"...said it had insufficient reflectivity!!! It was just an excuse to stick his head inside my vehicle....but my dog in the back seat startled him when he did!

Senor Pescado

Well Known Member
I agree with the Ajo comments - there are 4 sherriffs deputies on patrol in a town of a what - a couple thousand people maybe? I have been stopped twice - the first time - i was going around 31 passing the main square and pulled over for speeding - let me go with a warning. I know put the cruise on at 25 and go through. The second time, i touched a white line just before the main square and saw the oncoming police car - he whipped off his glasses as i passed him, he turned around and quickly pulled me over - his first words were "where are you in such hurry to go" - i told him i know i wasn't speeding because i had the cruise on and come through regularly - he then game me some speech about causing accidents and let me go - i saw him cut up through some side streets and then passed him as he had just pulled someone else over. I would hate to actually live in Ajo and have to deal with that daily.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I agree with the Ajo comments - there are 4 sherriffs deputies on patrol in a town of a what - a couple thousand people maybe? I have been stopped twice - the first time - i was going around 31 passing the main square and pulled over for speeding - let me go with a warning. I know put the cruise on at 25 and go through. The second time, i touched a white line just before the main square and saw the oncoming police car - he whipped off his glasses as i passed him, he turned around and quickly pulled me over - his first words were "where are you in such hurry to go" - i told him i know i wasn't speeding because i had the cruise on and come through regularly - he then game me some speech about causing accidents and let me go - i saw him cut up through some side streets and then passed him as he had just pulled someone else over. I would hate to actually live in Ajo and have to deal with that daily.
Funny thing is I lived there for a few years, a while ago, they leave the locals alone for the most part unless you "open container" it watching the tourist go by at Mikes (used to be Chevron) station.

janetandclint

Well Known Member
Hi Kenny, The only wild and mean drivers that I have seen in NM were in Albuquerque area. The rest of the state is very peaceful, well, actually, I can only speak for SW NM and western NM.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Albuquerque driver's are the worst

Hi Kenny, The only wild and mean drivers that I have seen in NM were in Albuquerque area. The rest of the state is very peaceful, well, actually, I can only speak for SW NM and western NM.
That's true for the most part, but Albuquerque driver's are the worst I've encountered, hands down.
You need to sign your post, or I could say, Hi janetandclint.:razz:

What, no guess about where Roberto lived?

Roberto

Well Known Member
I've never been stopped in Ajo, but I was robbed at their NAPA parts store.
Yeah Cord is not the cheapest around but I've been glad he's there several times. He will order parts and ship them down to me with one of his friends.

Ajo is definately a speed trap. No doubt about it. Also a training ground for people who want to get into one of the big departments so you got a lotta jerks and wannabes. They don't have a police force, they have a revenue source.

I lived in Corrales NM crom about 1978 to 2005.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Where the road meets 85 is where the 2 cops were sitting.....sometimes they sit over by the Vol Fire Dept.

jerry

Well Known Member
A guy i know was on the force and quit after learning the crew that owns the Sonoyta Plaza had pictures of all the cops,their families,the mom's picking the kids up at school...