Inshore fishing report 5-2

don

Yeah, in such a tiny boat, space is limited. So rods are out of the way, don't get damaged and we troll with several rods. We've trolled with as many as 4 rods (in the 14 footer), using different depth range lures. Not good for inexperienced fishermen though :eek: Oh yeah, lures HAVE got to be tuned to run straight. ;) We'll target sierra/corvina or dorado on the shallow runners (color/depth makes the difference) and groupers/pargos' on the deeper guys.

Hey don
I love the pole holders! Are they, all parts , glued together? What size drain pipe did you use? And last how did you mount them?
I need to do this in my inflatable.

don

Hi Bill!
I used 1.5 inch pvc. the pieces are glued into 4 sections. For instance the stern piece is one section, there are two longitudinal runners which attach to the front section. The four sections "slip fit" into the mating section. As you know, you can purchase pvc fittings either threaded or slip style. I used all slip fittings because eventually sand gets into the threaded fittings and you're screwed! If you want I'll take a few photos of the sections.

The sections fit tightly the below the curvature of the tube, and the tube pushes them onto the floor. The front section, fits around the tube, above and below the tube, so the tube holds that in as well. For instance you could pick up the boat just by lifting the pvc framework. In front of the "Front Section", the fuel tank, ice chest and anchor bucket (5 gal plastic pail)wedge the framework to the stern.

A length of mule tape from the stern section to the front section helps keeps things nice and tight.

BTW, make sure your rods fit the 1.5 " pvc!

The 14 foot boat rod holders are a bit more complicated if you want photos of those.

Last edited: