INSTALLING A MINI SPLIT HELP

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
Help with the installation of AUX mini split

Before you buy be sure to get a unit that will be OK to be imported into the USA You will be checked at the Border. Have your receipt ready as they will want to see it. No import problem. Limit of free USA import is $ 800.00 per person Refrigerant is R 410

We purchased ours at Muebeles Coloniales and the sales gal is great.

24000 btu, 2 ton unit there was about $ 450 dollars

I installed the AUX ASW - 24 B2 /FFRI 2 TON 240 VAC unit, cool only.

All went easy by using common sense. The reason I say that is the provided installation information is less than lacking.

Find the location that will provide a good flow of cold air across the room without obstructions. I kept my unit about 6 in. From the ceiling. Std 8 ft walls Before you hang the bracket determine stud locations so you have a good mounting. It is required to have each end top and bottom screwed in securely or the unit will not hold tightly to the wall. Do not remove the knock outs yet as you may not need to. Next is to determine where the power cord will be going and remove the knock out for it Second is determine where the drain tube will be going and if it will be going through the wall be sure to keep it on a down slope to drain properly. Determine the routing of the wires and high and low pressure copper tubes will be going and if through the wall cut the opening. Before you cut, determine any obstructions including wires, drain lines, gas lines, video, telephone and or anything else that may be located in the wall. Make the opening large enough that is easy to use. Also consider the radius of the tube bends and offset the holes as needed. When installing the high and low pressure line you will find them difficult to bend. In bending these tubes it is critical you do not kink a bend. Use two hands and make slow long radius bends. F not sure of how to do this seek help. Do not use a table edge or similar to bend over as you are more likely to kink. Push tubes and wire through the hole and carefully bend the tubes to allow connection to the inside unit. Hang the inside unit and support the bottom away from the wall to allow you to make the tube connections. These connections are critical. You must bend the ends so the face of the tube flanges are straight on the other tube. If you damage them they will leak and you will need to re flange. Most folks do not have flange tools that go to these sizes. AC guy and $$$.

The rest of the install is mostly easy. Again careful bending. Route the wires and tubes out to the outside unit and attach them.

Wiring One wire is marked 1, 2 plus a green yellow and inside the electrical cover plate is a block marked 1, 2 and 3 no problem. Attach wire 1 and 2 to corresponding terminals, green yellow with spade terminal goes under visible screw. This is the ground for the unit and is needed. The second wire is the number 3 and goes to the number 3 connection At this point the unit should start.

Special notes

USA purchased are typically wired different from Mexican import.

In Mexico the 240 vac goes into the inside , evap side and in USA it goes first to the outside, condenser side. NO BIG DEAL except if you need a tech for help. For some strange reason it confuses them.

Another, in my mind, quirk is the 240 must be wired in a correct leg direction. The reason for this is the way they use the 240 inside the condenser side relay, call to start run from the evap side. This is likely confusing to you but it is correct. If the unit is wired and installed correctly but does not start. reverse the 120 legs of the 240. If you installed an HVAC safety fuse box next to the condenser you can switch the wires there. If not swap the numbers 1and 2 inside the unit .

The condenser is pre charged with enough coolant to satisfy the needs of the lines and the evap side so you should not need extra coolant.

Best to pull a vacuum the system. When you uncap the evap. side it will expel an inert gas that is safe and has no purpose except the inside of the system dry. Be sure the 2 lines are clean and dry before install

Be to be sure to keep the insulation on the lines and tape, if needed, to be sure of full coverage. No exposed copper except at junctions.

Hopes this helps any who Bring a Mexican unit to the USA to install. Even if you need an HVAC guy to help you save a bunch of dollars

Bill Hale Woodspinner

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Thanks for the hints Bill.....I just had one installed in my house. This replaces one that has been continually used for 9 years yes 9 years. I bought a 2 ton heat and cool Mirage Brand. cost 9300 pesos at Coloniels Mueblas and my installer had it in for another 1900 pesos so for about 600.00 usd I have enough cooling and heating and very efficiently too for my downstairs in Peñasco. The ground floor has no hallways and is open plan and is about 1300 sq ft. It is more than enough! My father in law bought a 2 ton mini in the States and it cost him about 2,000.00 before installation.....big difference.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Russ, why was the install so much? (1600 pesos, OK not that much). My installs usually cost me 700 pesos, the last one was pretty involved but still only 800 pesos.
I gave him 1200 pesos because he had to hammer drill through 3 walls, install an outside bracket wall mount and install 9 feet of plastic duct covering all the tubing and wiring.
I just use the installers Muebles Coloniels sends out with the unit. They all have done a good job.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I usually have specialty request like having to channel the tubes in the concrete so that you don't see them. They have to create a channel in the exterior stucco and then bury the lines and then we stucco over them and paint, totally hidden install. I use a father and son team and they are trained not only in installing but they can troubleshoot any system. I don't mind paying 100 bux to have it done the way I want, plus they are there when I need them.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I usually have specialty request like having to channel the tubes in the concrete so that you don't see them. They have to create a channel in the exterior stucco and then bury the lines and then we stucco over them and paint, totally hidden install. I use a father and son team and they are trained not only in installing but they can troubleshoot any system. I don't mind paying 100 bux to have it done the way I want, plus they are there when I need them.
You have it dialed in and sounds like a great choice of installers. I covered my tubing since I had to run the lines along my bathroom ceiling. Because of the 12" tall bond beam in my house.
The duct cover kit was $80. Here's a pic of the plastic. I might contact you for their number if I have any problems. My oldest unit is 6 years old and still doing fine. I cover the condensing unit 90% of the time and only use it 40 days a year.

Attachments