Interesting border crossing incident

dwig222

Well Known Member
We drove up from Rocky Point this morning after a wonderful week. When we got to the customs booth the guard went to the front of our car and reached under it like he was looking for something attached to the underbelly. He kept standing back up and reaching under it until he finally got on his knees and was looking under it. It scared me to death because I though someone had attached a bag of drugs or something under my vehicle and he could see it. Then they pulled the dog out from the little building and he immediately signaled that there was drugs under our car. The two guards smiled and said "good job" to the dog. I was freaking out until he finally told us it is a training exercise for the dog. They plant something under your car and see if the dog finds it. He said he was pretty sure we didn't fill the profile of someone smuggling drugs so they tried it on our car. I don't know if it was actually drugs in the container, but I was so happy they didn't find my 4 big bottles of tequila and 36lbs of large shrimp! I don't even think he looked at our passports.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
Someone posted a similar experience recently also. I hope they didn't leave any residue underneath that could be detected later on.

dwig222

Well Known Member
No, it looked like the top part of a wooden broom handle. Just a tube looking thing with something in the middle of it. It was about a foot long.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
It would be nice if they told you first.... That would scare me to death!
Agreed!!!
That is a crappy way to end a nice week in RP.
Who knows!?!?! Someone could easily use your car as a mule and then catch up to you after you cross the boarder and retrieve their package. I'm sure it's happened already.

azdiva

Well Known Member
This is something I have been thinking about. With the US budget cuts and increased danger of smuggling suitcase nukes or other terrorist
tactics. Why should everyone be thinking that they could cross in their vehicles in perpetuity. Some border crossings could be ultimately closed
to motor vehicles and only pedestrian crossings allowed. The smaller crossings do not justify the amount of security and scrutiny that the much
larger stations employ. I could see that vehicle crossings be only made at Nogales, San Luis, Mexicali or Tijuana. Get ready for this.

TICO-T

Well Known Member
This is something I have been thinking about. With the US budget cuts and increased danger of smuggling suitcase nukes or other terrorist
tactics. Why should everyone be thinking that they could cross in their vehicles in perpetuity. Some border crossings could be ultimately closed
to motor vehicles and only pedestrian crossings allowed. The smaller crossings do not justify the amount of security and scrutiny that the much
larger stations employ. I could see that vehicle crossings be only made at Nogales, San Luis, Mexicali or Tijuana. Get ready for this.
This would destroy Rocky Point. It will never happen.

HILL BOY

Well Known Member
If it keeps our country safe I don!t care what security measures we take or the time it may take to cross back into USA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
With greatest respect for Border Patrol officers, but with a nod to DHS administration, border security has been little more than window dressing. So I wouldn't worry about that.

jjtaulbs

We had a long wait when we left in July and they asked us if we would participate in a training exercise with the dogs before they did anything. We were happy to oblige and thought it was very cool!

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
We had a long wait when we left in July and they asked us if we would participate in a training exercise with the dogs before they did anything. We were happy to oblige and thought it was very cool!
Yes.... Asking first would prob be a good idea.

JPK_AZ

This (having illegal items unknowingly smuggled in your property) is definitely a scary threat that we are vulnerable to as we travel in Mexico. I wonder how you would even defend yourself against the legal aspect of this.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
It would truly suck. You would have no way of knowing someone had planted them and how could you prove your innocence.