Internet and telephone

Kramer

I know this has been discussed but I can't find it on the site. I would like phone and internet service for my house. Any suggestions Really more interested in internet service but I think I need to also have phone right?

If you can get Telmex phone service to your house, you can get internet...I believe their lowest rate is around 380 pesos per month...which gives you a phone line and a 1meg internet line.

Roberto

If you can get Telmex phone service to your house, you can get internet...I believe their lowest rate is around 380 pesos per month...which gives you a phone line and a 1meg internet line.
Yes, that's the best deal if you can get a phone line.

once you have a phone line and internet connection you can choose between vonage and magic jack. we use both. the main differences: vonage does not require the computer be turned on, but with 1 extra virtual number and tax we pay around 41.00 per month. magic jack requires a running computer but is much cheaper at 20.00 per year. however, it does not have extra virtual numbers available. in both cases you can use any sort of phone to plug in.....old corded type up to multi-handset cordless. with both even a minor interruption of electricity will require rebooting, especially with vonage.

Jellyfish

I have a phone line that runs about $23 a month. My Neighbors have wireless internet my computer can see, but usually can not tap into because of the distance. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve my reception?? Router, intenna?

I have a phone line that runs about $23 a month. My Neighbors have wireless internet my computer can see, but usually can not tap into because of the distance. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve my reception?? Router, intenna?
An exterior antenna and or a wifi signal booster

Get a directional antenna...with a higher gain...maybe 7db should be enough. Also check your neighbors (that is, if they are willing to share) and see if they can put in an "n" wifi router. These have grater range then the g type that usualy comes with the Telmex modem.

Now, if they are not the sharing type, and you're just trying to piggy back on their internet, they may have it locked down and you may see it, but that's all you'll be able to do.

Jellyfish

They have given me the code and we are very good friends. The idea is to share the cost at this point. If I can get consistant reception I do not want to make the investment, I would just share their bill. At least until another house is built between us.

The first thing is to find out if they are using a wifi router in addition to the one that is part of the Telmex modem.....if not, I would recommend you pick up one (n type) and piggyback it on the modem, and use that for your signal.....that's what the person I'm "sharing" with is doing. They are not that expensive...on the order of $40-50. The built in ones ( part of the modem) usually don't have much range.

Something else to try is moving around in your house and seeing where the best reception is.....and also, if your friends are agreeable, move theirs closer to your house, and up higher if they have a second floor. The high gain directional antenna will work if you have some way of attaching it to your computer (to your wifi card). If you have a built in receiver (like on most laptops), you probably won't be able to.

In terms of range, I'm getting excellent reception from about 150 ft. on the one I'm sharing (separate wifi router).

Is the high gain antenna wireless or does it have to be plugged into the computer
Has to be plugged into the computer....to the wifi card (if desktop)....or if you're using a usb wifi adapter that has a removable antenna. If you can get to a Fry's Electronics store, check out what they have that may work with your particular computer/wifi adapter/card. You probably won't be able to get decent advice from the sales people there....but occasionally you do find a geek in there that knows his stuff. The advantage to shopping at Frys is if it don't work, return it!!!

There are a couple usb wifi adapters out there that advertise longer range, and are directional....try searching in google.....here is one
http://www.hfield.com/?gclid=CIq66NvF5KUCFSg1gwodfxLG0g I tried this one, but found the software that came with it flakey....and preferred to use Windows to control the wifi. It did seem to get more range, but then again, I did not have access to an "n" router or adapter, but was using a "g". Some of the"n" appear to be better.

Last edited:
About 6 months ago I had Telmex install phone line/internet to my house in Las Conchas. I used the modem they gave me to plug in my laptop and have Magic Jack, works great. I pay Telmex about $37/mo. for both phone/internet. Just last Friday I switched modems to one with wifi. $25. I now use my cell phone and can use the laptop all around the house. Works great!

Jellyfish

My friends say they are paying $52 a month. I wonder what the difference is? I have Magic Jack, but it is inconvenant to go to JJ's to use it.

Roberto

My friends say they are paying $52 a month. I wonder what the difference is? I have Magic Jack, but it is inconvenant to go to JJ's to use it.
Tel Mex has different plans at different prices. They probably have the higher bandwidth plan. I have the lower bandwidth plan and it works fine for Majic Jack and my computer needs but I do not use wireless and am the only user.

The $37-38 plan is a 1meg line (with around 256k upload....very slow)...the higher rate gives you a higher speed. I've used the 1 meg line for Magicjack, and it works fine...as long as the line is steady on the speed. I've had problems before at PDO before they did some upgrades using magicjack....the signal strength kept fluctuating.

If your a cheap skate like me...I'm telling you Google Voice is the way to go.

After paying Telmex $30 a month...I dont pay dime more for phone. Google Voice has a AZ phone number, it it does have some limitations. You have to dial and receive calls while gmail is open (there is a work around for this...but you have to buy a Linksys p2p adaptor and sign up for some other website)

dezracer....you still need in internet line.....I don't know that Telcel will give you one without a phone line....unless you go with one of their usb data/internet plans, which I believe are more than $37