Interview with Public Relations Officer at US Consulate

Manny Sanchez

Vir sapit qui pauca loqui
This came to me by Mel Fabregas today:

Dear fellow Rocky Point owners,

I don’t need to tell you that the latest US Consulate warning is creating waves. Not that much, but it has the potential to do so. After being part of this community, I have connected the dots for a few years and found that just before the busy season starts, all of a sudden, the United States (federal or state level) issues warnings that persuade tourists to stay home. I have wondered on many times if these warnings are at all bona fide.

The most recent warning came from the US Consulate in Nogales. After convening with other members of the community, many have contacted their respective sources in the US government as well as the Mexican government. This includes the Department of Homeland Security (Tony van Ravensway), as well as Attorney Generals.

While it is not unusual for the U.S. Consulate in Nogales, Sonora to release a travel advisory for parts of Mexico, the latest warrant, dated May 19, 2010, has left an entire community wondering where the Consulate gets its information.

Business leaders in Puerto Peñasco, known commonly as Rocky Point, met on Monday to discuss the backlash of calls and emails received as a result of the warning that specifically mentioned dangers on Highway 8, the road to this popular beach resort town.

According to the director of Mexico's Federal Highway Patrol, no incidents like those discussed in the warning have occurred. The AFI, which is like the American CIA, has also denied any knowledge of problems along Highway 8. Local police chief Erick Landagaray expressed surprise that the Consulate would issue a warning without so much as a thread of truth to it. The Attorneys General at the State as well as Federal level have also said there is no basis for the claims of violence on the road to Puerto Penasco.

Fausto Soto, Director of International Relations for the City of Puerto Penasco attended the meeting, where all agreed the highest priority should be in preparing travelers with the truth, regardless the economic effects on the city.

Nevertheless, in this case it seems the U.S. Consulate has violated their own policy not to rely solely on unsubstantiated rumors...and in this case, they got their facts very, very wrong, in the process harming an entire community, many of whom are Americans.

It would be naïve to think that the timing of this warning was accidental, coming as it did right before one of the biggest weekends for this resort community. That negative reports hit the media harder right before Spring Break or other important holidays for travelers is nothing new. What is new, however, is the participation of the U.S. Consulate's complicity in unnecessarily scaring the traveling public and causing harm to many American-owned businesses south of the border.

The hope in Puerto Peñasco is that those who know and love Rocky Point won't stay away or cancel their travels plans without first verifying the veracity of what they've heard, even if the rumors come with the stamp of the U.S. government.

With the above said, I

Here’s my 11-minute conversation/interview with Joseph Crook, Public Affairs Officer at the US Consulate in Tijuana. This office is responsible for warnings for Baja California and Sonora. Specifically, Mr. Crook is the person responsible for having issued the latest travel warning: http://www.manticoregroup.com/misc/USRP2.mp3

My summary from this conversation is that the US Consulate has not confirm their data. If it sounds important, they report it. Furthermore, the alleged killings did not occur on the road to Rocky Point. They occurred elsewhere in Mexico. He admits that this could be misleading to travelers. And he simply states that people should drive at night. He is not saying “Don’t go to Rocky Point.” Listen and find out.
New Public Affairs Officer
Tijuana, B. C., August 31, 2009. - The American Consulate General in Tijuana is pleased to announce the arrival of Joseph L. Crook as the new Public Affairs Officer in Tijuana. Mr. Crook will be serving in Tijuana for the next three years.
As Public Affairs Officer, Mr. Crook handles all media and cultural issues pertaining to the states of Baja, Baja Sur and Sonora.
Joseph Crook is a career Foreign Service Officer and previously served as Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, Cultural Affairs Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Tunis, Tunisia, and as Narcotics Affairs Officer at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz, Bolivia.
What can you do, you ask? If you care about Rocky Point and your investment, and are tired of the same trend happening again and again, let your voice be heard. Not only to the media, but directly to the source.

Feel free to contact Mr. Crook yourselves. His direct line is 011.52.664.622.7639

If he is not available, press zero and contact Lorena Blanco.

Or simply send an e-mail to him at: [email protected]

After my conversation with him, and hopefully your messages to him, they will think harder before they do this again. Apparently, anyone can simply call or show up at the US Consulate and report anything. Let’s not remain quiet any longer.

Very best wishes to all,

Mel Fabregas

S

Submarine

So I just have to ask, why does it take a message from some obscure consulate position that no one had ever heard of until a few days ago for this guy to issue a call to action?

I mean, I don't know, maybe the incredible body count would have made me get off my ASSA and start putting pressure on the Mexican Government to do more about the violence than just send their President to visit with Obama and show that he has absolutely no clue about American Federal and State laws regarding guns, immigration, etc.

But yeah, let's all get involved and take care of that evil information machine! And some people call Sarah Palin nuts!

V

VacationVanessa

Dude, you make it sound like all of Mexico looks like a scene from Zombieland... THE CARNAGE!!

zombies..jpg

S

Submarine

I haven't seen that yet, good flick?

Nah, the violence seems to be concentrated on the northern and southern borders; but there was some significant events in resort areas like Puerto Vallarta that were particularly disturbing. It's edging closer like what Jerry was referring to in Altar etc.

Roberto

I contact Mr. Crook and got the following response almost immediately:

Dear Correspondent,

Thank you for your inquiry. The warden message to which you are referring was issued by the U.S. Consulate in Nogales. Please direct any inquiries to them: [email protected]

Sincerely,

American Citizen Services
U.S. Consulate General, Tijuana

Roberto

This is an additional response to my message to Mr. Crook:

Thank you for your inquiry. We have received your e-mail and will make every effort to respond within two business days. If your e-mail requires action on the part of another entity, we will forward your inquiry to the appropriate Consulate General office or U.S. Government Agency. If you desire to speak to us by phone, please call us at 011-52-664-622-7400 and ask for the American Citizen Services Unit. Thank you.

P

Pete

I contact Mr. Crook and got the following response almost immediately:

Dear Correspondent,

Thank you for your inquiry. The warden message to which you are referring was issued by the U.S. Consulate in Nogales. Please direct any inquiries to them: [email protected]

Sincerely,

American Citizen Services
U.S. Consulate General, Tijuana
Good work....I sent out an email as well asking for an explanation

Unfortunately all the emails/phone calls are going to do squat for the damage that has been done to business over Memorial Day in Penasco....it will take some heavy "PROACTIVE" action.....tv interviews, newspaper interviews on front pages, etc.

I also responded with a question to them. May be that the destruction is done this time but it at lease let them know they are under a watchful eye and this may preclude future fraudulant reports. The public must be made aware of this.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Make sure we see the clip, Eduardo!
I just got of the phone with the reporter, unfortunatelly, since telemundo just started the local news in Tucson they do not have a website and there is no link to the segment we did yesterday about RP, which is pretty sad, I did mention that it was quite a coincidence that 2 or 3 weeks before any major holiday a warning always come up alerting not to travel to Mexico!!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I must say that both of the reporters I have spoken in the last couple of days, from different TV station, were aware of the fact that the warnings do come a couple of weeks prior to any holyday!! so somehow the media knows but on the other hand they do not mention it themselves when this warnings appear!!

V

VacationVanessa

Inka - The newstations pull the info off the AP wire and report it as presented. The reporter may get the picture but they don't provide their own observations as it would be slanting the news. They report just what they're given. That's why on theother thread it would be great for the AP to pick up the other press release. Maybe then the other side would get "formally" reported.