IRS Seizing Passports soon

JimMcG

What about having to help pay for the maintenance and staffing of the guard shack and the maintenance of the roads? Doesn't seem like they would be able to get out of that. But I guess since the HOA wasn't established when they purchased their property, they were legally able to get out of it. Doesn't seem fair though.
Because a grandfathered owner doesn't want to be subjected to Hoa special assessments to pay for failed boondoggles, or be dragged into long drawn out Mexican lawsuits, doesn't mean that they are unwilling to pay for security services and road grading.

JimMcG

In theory HOA's can do that, but I've rarely ever seen it done. Your best bet is to have a good HOA board of directors and make sure that they keep on these delinquent owners because if they let it go too long, it's hard for the owner to get caught up.
I have seen it done quite successfully in SanCarlos very recently. Some Hoas are competent and some are a financial disaster.

ernesto

This isn't about what you can or cannot get away with. It's about being a good neighbor. The dues at Las Conchas are $100 a month, if you enjoy the roads and security that that fee provides, do the right thing and help support it, we'd have alot more breakins without it. The condos on Sandy beach is another story. I think the HOA dues are exhorbitant. Paying your dues is a bit like the thread on the Border postings about not cutting in line. Like they tried to teach you in grade school: play nice , do the right thing and no cheating. Some never got that.

apricot

I have seen it done quite successfully in SanCarlos very recently. Some Hoas are competent and some are a financial disaster.
Good to know. Agree with you about some HOA's being competent and others not so. My experience is that very few owners either do not go over the financial stuff or don't understand it. It's important to go to the annual meetings and ask questions if there is something you do not understand about the budget or financials. Being an HOA board member is a very time consuming job. And a thankless one as well. It is difficult to find people willing to step up and be a board member. But I recommend everybody do it at least once. You learn a lot about how an HOA is run.

apricot

This isn't about what you can or cannot get away with. It's about being a good neighbor. The dues at Las Conchas are $100 a month, if you enjoy the roads and security that that fee provides, do the right thing and help support it, we'd have alot more breakins without it. The condos on Sandy beach is another story. I think the HOA dues are exhorbitant. Paying your dues is a bit like the thread on the Border postings about not cutting in line. Like they tried to teach you in grade school: play nice , do the right thing and no cheating. Some never got that.
I used think the same thing about the high HOA dues for the condos on Sandy Beach. But then when I broke it down and compared it to what we pay in the US, it seemed comparable. Those HOA dues on Sandy Beach include water, sewer, trash pickup, 24-hour security guards, internet, cable TV, and maintenace/repair/replacement of exterior components. We have a lot of very nice amenities to enjoy (swimming pools, hot tubs, gym, playground, charcoal grills, etc). Some resorts seem to keep the dues under control better than others. Puerta Privada is the best with keeping their dues low, but they don't have to deal with renters. If I had to do it over again, I would purchase there.

Landshark

There is a thread here on this forum 'Hoas in Puerto Penasco' in which you participated, dated July 18 2013 on the topic. With everyone weighing in with inaccurate assumptions it became a bit misleading.
Note that Gov Brewer owned a detached house and not a condominium which legally made all the difference.
Thanks Jim, I am familiar with that thread but it didn't mention the fact that the Brewers were challenging a newly formed HOA which is an obvious game changer. I thought you must have found that info elsewhere. Still curious about some basic Mexican HOA legalities such as are Mexican Nationals really exempt and the verbiage on the voluntary/mandatory thing.

JimMcG

Thanks Jim, I am familiar with that thread but it didn't mention the fact that the Brewers were challenging a newly formed HOA which is an obvious game changer. I thought you must have found that info elsewhere. Still curious about some basic Mexican HOA legalities such as are Mexican Nationals really exempt and the verbiage on the voluntary/mandatory thing.
Mexican Nationals are no more exempt than non nationals. The same rules apply. Hoas, dues, liens and foreclosing on delinquent accounts is substantively the same as in the US.

Landshark

Good stuff, thanks. To clarify, we have paid our HOA membership fees for over 15 yrs and have no intention of stopping. We appreciate the efforts and positive results from our HOA.

Terry C

It's people like Landshark that make HOA's work here in Playa Encanto. With collections this year I was able to approve two new quads for the guards, a newer tractor to grade the Interior roads, the main road coming is graded every 15 days. We also have street signs that we have never had before. We have rights to a piece of property that we will make into a covered meeting place. Without owners paying their fees, this would of never of happened.
We provide 24/7 security and trash pick up two times a week
HOA's need paying members to make all this work.