Is "Expat" a negative term??

richwi

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard that using the term "Expat" has a negative connotation? I used the word on another site and there were people who 'beat me up' over it. I have never heard anyone say the term is pejorative or negative in any way before. In fact, my daughter is a well know photographer in Europe and has a blog that uses the term Expat in it. It may be a case of someone being too zealous in their political correctness but I was just curious if anyone else thought the term was negative??

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
“Expatriate” is a term similar to, say, “propaganda.” They both can be used with a positive or negative connotation, depending upon context.

An expatriate can be merely someone residing in a foreign land, or alternatively, one who denounced or is in exile from their home land.

Propaganda can refer to intentionally disseminating information (with helpful intent), or disinformation (with evil intent).

So in both cases, the word alone does not influence the meaning or effect.

Bklynborn

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard that using the term "Expat" has a negative connotation? I used the word on another site and there were people who 'beat me up' over it. I have never heard anyone say the term is pejorative or negative in any way before. In fact, my daughter is a well know photographer in Europe and has a blog that uses the term Expat in it. It may be a case of someone being too zealous in their political correctness but I was just curious if anyone else thought the term was negative??
Not negative at all.Individuals life choices are solely up to them.If leaving your current situation.Whether it's leaving a state or in an expats case their home country.Makes them happy or benefits their quality of life and we'll being.Its their right or perogitive.No negativity applies.

Roberto

Well Known Member
In the world today everyone is offended by just about anything. It's the victim generation. Perpetual victimhood is the flavor of the day.
Haruumph! I take offense at those words. Meet me in the alley next to Gua Gua's and bring your friends ! Tonight at 9 !!