Is it still Advisable to go Rocky Point Mexico for vacation?

sbulmer

s bulmer
I heard there was mess between cops and drug dealears in mexico in the end of last month. But I had already planned and booked my reservation before this incidence take place. Is it still safe to go there? as i dont want to miss this chance (because rocky point is my and my wife's fev. place)

I've been living here for nearly 16 years and have always felt safe... like any where else you travel you just need to use your best judgement and stay away from places that could present a dangerous situation... "Cagada Pasa" Poop Happens... you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time in just about any town these days... if you're looking for trouble it will eventually find you...

GringoZona

Well Known Member
"I heard from this guy at work who knew someone who said..." is your worst possible source of information about pretty much anything, but especially in Mexico, and more specifically, Rocky Point. The drug violence you read about in the newspapers in the states occurs in areas nowhere near Puerto Penasco.

And yes, there were loads of marijuana that were seized in September, but they were at drop-ship locations in local neighborhoods or on the outskirts of town, with no gun battles in the streets or anything like that. It's the kind of stuff that can happen even in a nice section of Scottsdale. And actually, I never saw those minor drug-busts in the papers in the states, it was only folks on this board posting links to Mexican papers, so I'm not sure where you heard anything, or whether what you're referring to was from something that happened over a year ago. Or, again, it was just "a friend of a friend said" kind of situation.

The LAST thing the drug dealers in Mexico want is American tourists killed, thus starting a political movement to draw more US assistance in the battle against them. Heh, that, and/or hurt the economies in the tourist towns like Penasco where they invest in local businesses and resorts! ;)

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've been coming to Rocky Point for 46 years, 36 of which were as a single woman, most of the time. I have never been afraid to drive down alone and stay alone at my place. Just stay out of the bad areas and be watchful, just like you would at home, and you'll be fine.

El Gato

Well Known Member
Our 25 year old Granddaughter recently made the trip back to US driving by herself. Had no problems at all and felt perfectly safe the whole time. We live down here full time and have never felt in danger. People in town are really great about helping, etc.

This morning we were sitting out on the terrace drinking tea and looking at the most fantastic Sea of Cortez. People were walking on the beach. A group of people and their dogs were having a great time. Kids were laughing and running around. Weather is perfect this morning.

I wouldn't have wanted to miss it :)

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Ditto what everyone above has stated.....I "only" have about 26 years coming down...including with little kids. Go looking for trouble...you will find it....otherwise, come down, enjoy yourself.....it's still a lot cheaper...and safer....then going to CA.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I live here and have not been shot in a whole week! Seriously, the media loves to cover violence so that's all you will hear on the 'news'. It's quiet here. The surf is sloshing, the breeze is whispering, sea birds are calling, and the neighbor's dog barks occasionally. Oh yea and Pino my neighbor plays jazz on his patio sometimes. The biggest danger is the tourists driving their ATV's in a stupid manner.

GV Jack

Snorin God
I've got some old codgers, (isn't that what you called me, Jerry?) down here in Green Valley, who are always asking, "How can you go down there, it's so dangerous?"

I just laugh and tell them I only drive in daylight so I can dodge the bodies in the street. Then I show them my pictures of the beach, sunrises, etc and say, "You should try it."

You know, if you believe everything you read, you might end up thinking that the earth is round. It is flat, isn't it? It was when I was a kid!!!

playaperro

El Pirata
Born on the beach in Puerto Penasco

The only time I feel in danger here in Penasco is when I go in the boobar and someone
might make me out drag my nalgas out of there. Ya the pic is from 1956 I'm the one
in the engine compartment.

Attachments

playaperro

El Pirata
Is that pic really from 1956 in Penasco!?!? Do you have more? And where was it taken?
Penasco Scene, the pic is from nov. of 1956! Well I do have a few more, they were taken at a fishing camp south of penasco.Why don't you believe they are from that
era?

GringoZona

Well Known Member
Penasco Scene, the pic is from nov. of 1956! Well I do have a few more, they were taken at a fishing camp south of penasco.Why don't you believe they are from that era?
Hah, I believe you, it's just that it's rare to see tourist-type photos of Penasco that are so old. Most pics from that era are historical town/building shots without residents. Would LOVE to see more!