Is Mannys doing well, or in death spiral?

joanC

We hope Mannys prospers, and carries on.

It killed itself after 2008 by dramatically raising drink prices to make up for decreased revenue. Now I hear they've done it again, with basic mixed drinks like margaritas and Bloody Marys up to USD 10.00. All made with bottom shelf Mxcn booze.

Is this true? Correct my info, please.

If so, no business run by experienced people, looking to keeping the operation going, would raise prices 30 % or more. In most business studies this is a sign of a sinking ship...a last gasp effort to recover as much of their investment on the way down.

Running their business in Penasco, and hoping all the revenue gets to the business, is just a dream. 95 % of the gringos pay paper cash. With no controls, the shrinkage is likely 1/3.

richwi

Manny’s, like Wrecked and a number of other places is focused on the tourist dollar. Prices are based on what tourists are willing to pay and if you go to Manny’s on a weekend there doesn’t seem to be a lack of business. The folks running Manny’s run 5 popular restaurants in Penasco so clearly they know what they are doing. This would include cash control. I really don’t see Manny’s having any issues unless there is a drastic downturn on overall tourism.

joanC

A moderate crowd Friday, a great crowd Saturday and a very moderate crowd on Sundays of a long weekend does not a good business make. Their midweek business has been weak this summer compared to previously. We have experience in the food and wine business, but I'd like to hear an opinion from other bar owners.

Old55

Have not been their since June but they were doing a good business and manager was on the ball.

playaperro

El Pirata
With so many cameras and security I think that bar is up to date on keeping track of sales. Big tourist bar probably chasing off the retirement people taking up room. You might try their affordable bingo day.

richwi

I don't know why but I kept thinking about shrinkage. With each order from the bar or kitchen the server has to submit a receipt, then the food or drink is given to them. At the end of the customers visit the money given to the cashier needs to match the receipt totals and this is all reconciled daily. The bar tenders go through the cashier as well. Only if there is collusion going on would there be much shrinkage there. It is possible, however, for servers to over charge or return less change to the customers. Raising prices at Manny's Wrecked etc to me are simply a matter of marketplace economics. They are charging what the market will bare and tourists are willing to pay those prices. Good for the restaurants, bad for those of us who live here full time.