Jet Purple Airlines - Scottsdale to Penasco

El Gato

The other day a press release was posted on our forum for proposed flights from Scottsdale to Penasco. In my normal busybody way I tried contacting Jet Purple to see if I could find out more information. Cody, their PR Director, returned my call. He seems to be an extremely nice person, knows Penasco and loves visiting here. He said that they are putting the logistics together and will keep us updated as he can.

The feeling I received was that they are interested in full flights as well as happy & relaxed passengers. Since they would be flying out of Scottsdale airport there would not be the long lines, waits and security check ins. It would be more like the old days when your check in didn't take longer then your flight time!

Fifteen minute check in, 45 minute flight and you are at the beach sipping on a cold Corona or frosty umbrella drink. It will leave no reason for not coming more often - rather then staying in Phoenix through muggy monsoon weather. I know, we get the sticky August weather here but it is sooo much easier to take when you are watching (or laying in) our beautiful Sea of Cortez.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
I wonder what the price point will be. for a private plane that seats 10-15, I can see the price closer to $700 per person. I have flown to vegas on a few occasions on a similar type of plane and the cost was around this price point. We also need to remember the international flights have higher federal fees. I would not be surprised if this flight takes place only during peak weekends (ex. holidays).

playaperro

El Pirata
Not Familiar with Scottsdale Air Park, been to the harley dealer near there a few times. Is it an International Airport? AeroMex flew out out Tucson for longest time and one day just cancelled everything and shut its doors.

I'm guessing costs for a small jet with 15 passengers is 800-900 a passenger to fly from Scottsdale to Penasco. I expect to see those 25 passenger turboprops mostly.

AZ ROB

You can fly from Scottsdale to Puerto Penasco but the return trip you still have to stop at the first airport of entry to go thru customs. More than likely that would be Tucson.. that would make the trip back 2 hours longer due to time at customs.

El Gato

You can fly from Scottsdale to Puerto Penasco but the return trip you still have to stop at the first airport of entry to go thru customs. More than likely that would be Tucson.. that would make the trip back 2 hours longer due to time at customs.
I was reading an AZCentral report of a few years ago where Scottsdale Airport did have clearance for flights from Mexico to come and go without stopping at Sky Harbor, etc. Of course things could have changed since 2011 when the article was written. Couldn't find anything more up to date.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We had a group fly out of Penasco and they did their customs check in at Tucson and they said it took about 30 minutes, they were very happy. There was 9 of them in the plane too!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Russ, where was their final destination?
Some lived in New York, some in SoCal so they flew from here to Tucson, then to deer valley airport which isn't an Intl Airport then to Sky Harbor for their final flight. They said it was better than driving 4 hours. It probably took them 2.5 hours total with shuttles to the airport, they were happy. The private flight from Deer Valley can be had for about 4000.00 dollars split 9 ways its not too bad. The guys from New York don't have cars so driving was not an option, they don't drive in NY either so taxis and planes are their only transportation. We will see more of this in the future.

A good airport twould be gateway in mesa to have flights to rp as allegiant, spirut and horizon have flights there from smaller airports. Vegas is a connection there. They have a customs building there but no international flights.

DeniseAck

I'm guessing costs for a small jet with 15 passengers is 800-900 a passenger to fly from Scottsdale to Penasco. I expect to see those 25 passenger turboprops mostly.
800-900 DOLLARS per person? Each way? Holy Cow!!! Way out of my league!

Last year, we flew from NYC to PHX for about $225 each round trip,

Fare: (in points): 22,500 x 2 = 45,000
Taxes & Fees:
$10.00

Rented a car in PHX for a week for about $200, unlimited miles, plus Mexican insurance $150. $800 total transportation cost. The taxes to fly to PHX cost us $10 RT and internationally are over $100 (RT Cancun)
US International Departure Tax (US)$16.70
US September 11th Security Fee (AY)$7.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)$7.50
USDA APHIS Fee (XA)$5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY)$7.00
US Customs Fee (YC)$5.50
Mexican Airport Departure Tax (XD)$21.03
Mexican Tourist Tax (UK)$22.85
US International Arrival Tax (US)$16.70

It took about 1.5 hrs to get our luggage, pass through customs, and recheck our luggage. Then wait for the connecting flight. I'd rather drive 3.5 hours plus a 15 minute border check any day. The flying shot a whole day on each end and cost over $600 each. Ugh!

Next year, we're coming back out to PP!

El Gato

Last I heard they were planning on keeping the costs very reasonable in order to fill the plane - hope they stick to that concept.

800-900 DOLLARS per person? Each way? Holy Cow!!! Way out of my league!

Last year, we flew from NYC to PHX for about $225 each round trip,

Fare: (in points): 22,500 x 2 = 45,000
Taxes & Fees:
$10.00

Rented a car in PHX for a week for about $200, unlimited miles, plus Mexican insurance $150. $800 total transportation cost. The taxes to fly to PHX cost us $10 RT and internationally are over $100 (RT Cancun)
US International Departure Tax (US)$16.70
US September 11th Security Fee (AY)$7.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)$7.50
USDA APHIS Fee (XA)$5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY)$7.00
US Customs Fee (YC)$5.50
Mexican Airport Departure Tax (XD)$21.03
Mexican Tourist Tax (UK)$22.85
US International Arrival Tax (US)$16.70

It took about 1.5 hrs to get our luggage, pass through customs, and recheck our luggage. Then wait for the connecting flight. I'd rather drive 3.5 hours plus a 15 minute border check any day. The flying shot a whole day on each end and cost over $600 each. Ugh!

Next year, we're coming back out to PP!