Kayak fishing 5/23-5/26/11

azfish

Mmmmm, as of last week the place was closed down. I seem to recall this was announced and discussed here on this forum with a reference to a news report. Had not paid for electricity or water and got shut off, despite the fact that there was a couple living there. They built one tower of a planned 3. I understand only 13 units were sold. The developer got tired of paying for all the unsold HOA's and just plain quit doing it. If you got deeep pckets you could probably score a good buy for the entire development.

I wish they would take down the huge billboard at Fremont and Benito Juarez announcing that they won an award and are open for sales.

Regarding a map, use Google Earth and you will see it all.
Im scared to down load it, to many viruses out there.

You can still drive past the hotel to get to the mouth where everyone kayaks?

rplarry

Im scared to down load it, to many viruses out there.

You can still drive past the hotel to get to the mouth where everyone kayaks?
You have to navigate a little sand road that runs towards the back part of the estuary and then go over the dune. Make sure you have very good 4-wheel drive if you are bringing your kayak out there by truck. Have seen so many vehicles stuck out there.

Regarding that actually fishing spot, it is actually not a lot different than other reef spots around Penasco right now such as below the lighthouse/next to Manny's, out by competition hill/cholla area, etc., even below the Melecon. There is lot of bait in the water right now and fish are being caught all over. Regarding that spot at the mouth of estuary, I have fished that reef a ton by kayak and with my waverunners. There have been good times and poor times, kind of like all fishing. However, there is nothing worse than paddling out all that way and coming up empty. Jmcdtucson had a great experience and that is awesome. I have had many days out there and gotten nothing. We were just in Penasco the week of May 20th and the fishing around the "Point" was incredible. So easy to get to and caught about 20 fish in about an hour & 15 minutes. Many were corvina running in schools. Bait fish were everywhere. Pretty 'easy' fishing.

Just tossing this info out as it can be hard work managing the 'getting out there', tide schedules, etc for a fishing location that may or may not replicate itself. It may be worth a try depending on how much time you have to fish, however it's not always a sure thing. Hope that helps. Good luck.

our condo is right by CEDO in las conchas. I have thought about making the kayak haul out there but if im catching fish right outside my spot then it i think twice about paddling all the way out to Morua. Might just do it for the view and the experience though. Im guessing 2 miles each way from CEDO are of Las Conchas but what do i know i just look at it on google maps. Ive thought about driving out the caborca way and coming back up that road to the condos on the other side and parking and unloading the kayak from there but i dont ahve 4x4 on my truck and dont really want to risk getting stuck out there. i have driven to the oyster shack though wihtout any issues if thats comparable im not sure.

It would probably be easier and shorter to go out to the Oyster Farm on Encanto (not the 2 off the Caborca highway)....looks like a shorter paddle from there, and you don't need 4wd to get to it.

Roberto

If you go out to the Encanto area and come in from that side of the Morua estuary, you won't need a 4x4, the road is all good. there is a good parking area at the end of the road.

If you go in from Las Conchas you will need a 4x4 that will do ok on the loose sand. At least soften up your tires. If other vehicles have been through there and have it all torn up it can be fun !

You won't get any viruses from Google Maps !!!

Roberto...I was out there (Encanto) the last trip down...how do you get out to the last bunch of houses?....there appeared to be a very soft road up from the main road along Encanto in the area of the oyster farm...but didn't want to risk it with my 2WD!!!

Roberto

The road out there off the Caborca highway is a wide, bladed road. First good road to the right after Y should be it. Road goes for a couple miles towards the sea, then turns right at the big dune along the sea. You actually go past the end of the peninsula when on the Caborca road, then back toward Penasco when you get down to the beach. Been awhile and they made some changes in the road but in general just keep on going. There are a couple of 'guard gates' unmanned that I went through, several 'developments' and houses and such. Go past the defunct Villa Cortez site. the road generally follows the estuary side of the peninsula and you can't see the ocean till you get near the end at that old Sportsman Club where the parking lot is. Estero is online, he knows how.

azfish

Got some good kayak fishing in from Playa Encanto while staying there last week.

Each morning I paddled about 2 miles to the reefs at the mouth of Morua Estuary. That is one beautiful spot. The tides cooperated with a rising tide each morning. The first reefs are exposed even with high tide, but submerged reefs continued seemingly as far out toward sea as I was willing to paddle. All seemed to hold fish. Even the little reefs right by our house had fish.

I caught quite a few Corvina (up to 23", my personal best, with several over 18").
Also several triggers, a 14" flounder, 15" pompano, and a ton of those little striped bass (sand bass? rock bass?).

At times I couldn't make a cast without getting a bite. Main method was trolled or cast rebel and rapala crankbaits. The best were the ones that run about 5-10 feet deep so they weren't getting caught on the rocks. Although a deeper runner got me my first trigger. A rapala suspending jerkbait was also productive. Color didn't seem to matter - used blue/silver, black/silver, and orange. Couldn't catch anything but rocks on the crocodile spoons but I didn't stick with those very long.

One time I reeled the lure in within 5 feet of the kayak and saw a corvina, several trigger, and a bunch of striped bass following the lure but not hitting it. I stopped the jerkbait, then twitched it once and the corvina grabbed it. Nice 20" fish.

Caught the flounder on the estuary side of the reef where it got sandy. Seems like I could've caught triggers all day in the shallow water above the submerged reef between two higher points of the reef.

I could've caught a thousand bass, sometimes two on one cast. Some were up to 13" and starting to put on a little weight but I didn't keep any. The two corvina I kept were delicious. Both were full of eggs.
The flounder was a little small so I threw it back.

The fish seemed hungrier earlier in the morning than they did around mid-day but I still caught fish all the time.

We had a great time. My son even had the patience to sit for the 30 minute kayak ride over to the reef. He loved it once there. We found oysters on the back side of the reef. I tried one - very good eating. Any one collect them? Is it legal?

Fun stuff for sure.

View attachment 3023
What size rapala's were you using?

4-1/2" Rapala Countdown, not jointed. Saltwater version. Blue on top, white on bottom.
I did best on 5" Rebel Fast-Tracs. These are jointed. Blue/silver, black/silver and orange all worked.

I think any minnow crankbait would've worked. The main thing was the running depth - if it runs too deep, you keep getting snagged. I don't know if there is any such thing as too shallow but I'm not sure.
The fast-tracs wanted to run about 7-10 feet deep which was perfect.