Kayak fishing 5/23-5/26/11

Got some good kayak fishing in from Playa Encanto while staying there last week.

Each morning I paddled about 2 miles to the reefs at the mouth of Morua Estuary. That is one beautiful spot. The tides cooperated with a rising tide each morning. The first reefs are exposed even with high tide, but submerged reefs continued seemingly as far out toward sea as I was willing to paddle. All seemed to hold fish. Even the little reefs right by our house had fish.

I caught quite a few Corvina (up to 23", my personal best, with several over 18").
Also several triggers, a 14" flounder, 15" pompano, and a ton of those little striped bass (sand bass? rock bass?).

At times I couldn't make a cast without getting a bite. Main method was trolled or cast rebel and rapala crankbaits. The best were the ones that run about 5-10 feet deep so they weren't getting caught on the rocks. Although a deeper runner got me my first trigger. A rapala suspending jerkbait was also productive. Color didn't seem to matter - used blue/silver, black/silver, and orange. Couldn't catch anything but rocks on the crocodile spoons but I didn't stick with those very long.

One time I reeled the lure in within 5 feet of the kayak and saw a corvina, several trigger, and a bunch of striped bass following the lure but not hitting it. I stopped the jerkbait, then twitched it once and the corvina grabbed it. Nice 20" fish.

Caught the flounder on the estuary side of the reef where it got sandy. Seems like I could've caught triggers all day in the shallow water above the submerged reef between two higher points of the reef.

I could've caught a thousand bass, sometimes two on one cast. Some were up to 13" and starting to put on a little weight but I didn't keep any. The two corvina I kept were delicious. Both were full of eggs.
The flounder was a little small so I threw it back.

The fish seemed hungrier earlier in the morning than they did around mid-day but I still caught fish all the time.

We had a great time. My son even had the patience to sit for the 30 minute kayak ride over to the reef. He loved it once there. We found oysters on the back side of the reef. I tried one - very good eating. Any one collect them? Is it legal?

Fun stuff for sure.

P5260071.jpg

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Great trip! Glad the fish cooperated.

Technically, we gringos are prohibited from taking any shellfish. But, if you ate the evidence? Who's to know! I've "taste-tested" some fresh scallops pulled from a reef down near Punta Chivato. Now, if you were out there with a milk crate filling it with oysters, different story and any passing pangas would probably let you know about it.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Theres something fishy about this thread, no pics?! REALLY?! Starting to question the authenticity, especially when you say you could have caught a thousand...

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
That mouth of that estuary, is sometimes loaded with fish. I have even caught small grouper there, I'm sure he caught everything he said he did. Sometimes its nothing to catch and release a hundred or more fish around those rocks.

will be down 6/10 going to try to get from the end of las conchas side to the estuary if the weather plays nice on our kayak im guessing its a mile or mile 1/2. anyone know what the current water temp is out there? is it still pretty cold? looking at the 10 day its not getting over 85 degrees ....

we tried to drink at the bar in the resort in February and they said nothing was open to the public yet and you could only schedule tours of the place. they wouldnt let us drive past the security gate.

Roberto

Mmmmm, as of last week the place was closed down. I seem to recall this was announced and discussed here on this forum with a reference to a news report. Had not paid for electricity or water and got shut off, despite the fact that there was a couple living there. They built one tower of a planned 3. I understand only 13 units were sold. The developer got tired of paying for all the unsold HOA's and just plain quit doing it. If you got deeep pckets you could probably score a good buy for the entire development.

I wish they would take down the huge billboard at Fremont and Benito Juarez announcing that they won an award and are open for sales.

Regarding a map, use Google Earth and you will see it all.