Kayak fishing week of 6/4

Fished off Encanto and around Morua this week. Man, those were some crazy low tides. The reef at the entrance had a mile of exposed sand around it at low tide and I almost couldn't get the kayak there. I learned a valuable lesson about how fast the tide changes when I saw my kayak starting to catch the incoming tide even though I'd pulled it in 50 yards just a few minutes earlier. That was my fastest 1/4 mile sprint in years...

The fishing wasn't good compared to last year. This was not surprising due to timing of the tides (high tide in the early afternoon) and I also didn't have much fishing time due to sick kids.
But I caught a few decent corvina right near the beach house off Encanto. I went to the estuary, but didn't catch much but sand bass and the water was fairly low in the morning.

I then went out and tried to find the reef some one mentioned that is in 40 ft. of water a mile off the beach but I must not have gone far enough. I was in 43 feet of water at near low tide at what seemed to me to be over a mile but was getting pretty tired since I'd also paddled out to the estuary and my total distance that morning was 6 or 7 miles including some nasty headwinds coming back.

There was a neat little reef just 1/4 mile off shore from the beach house that held all the sand bass and triggers you could care to catch. It'd be a good place to take the kids.

My POS tachyon camera that is supposedly waterproof died on its first saltwater foray, but I did manage one picture. This was caught about 50 yards off the beach and was at most 18".

Attachments