Kayak Fishing

Az_Bo

I've received conflicting stories on the need to stop at customs to obtain a permit for my kayak. So what's the final verdict when going to Rocky Point? Permit/Customs declaration for temporary import of a kaya: Yes or No? I'm still reading on this forum about best place to launch and some practical advice for a novice saltwater kayak fisherman that's never launched from a sea shore.

Ocean is verry different from a lake. WAVES Waves come in sets of about 4 small and 4 large . Just wartch for a few min. and see what is happening. Then launch as the smal lones have started. As you are comming in do the same thing. The boat will want to go sideways as you move into the beach. Drag a paddle or back paddle to keep straight. REMEMBER to tie down everything so when you do go over you don't lose anything. I use a 10 ft inflatable pontoon and know these things from experience.
Not to good when you go over in the breaking wave is on top of you and the boat is on top with your head in the sand. And yes every body is watching.

I've received conflicting stories on the need to stop at customs to obtain a permit for my kayak. So what's the final verdict when going to Rocky Point? Permit/Customs declaration for temporary import of a kaya: Yes or No? I'm still reading on this forum about best place to launch and some practical advice for a novice saltwater kayak fisherman that's never launched from a sea shore.
Tucson Beach in Cholla Bay is a well protected place to launch, (weekends get real busy with locals there).
Even JJ's launch area is great but can get pretty busy on weekends.

Az_Bo

Tucson Beach in Cholla Bay is a well protected place to launch, (weekends get real busy with locals there).
Even JJ's launch area is great but can get pretty busy on weekends.
I'm actually going from Wednesday to Friday or possibly Saturday (October 12-14/15th). Thanks for tip on Cholla Bay.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

BO,

Avid Rocky Point kayaker here. I have NEVER purchased or heard anyone needing to purchase a TIP. I average 8 trips a year for a lot of years and have never been asked for one. I'm pretty certain the rule is, motor = TIP + FISHING LICENSE. I rarely use my kayak in Phoenix and because the AZ law does NOT require me to register my boat for use in the lakes, I dont even have the boat registered. Again, I have NEVER experienced any issues whatsoever.

There are a few places to put in around town but I recommend Cholla Bay. It would be the best place to get your feet wet, literally and figuratively. WIND is always going to be your biggest concern when kayak fishing in Rocky Point. Tide as well. I highly suggest eyeing the wind report for about 7 days leading up to your trip. The wind report changes 2 or 3 times a day and IMHO usually tends to be pretty accurate. I will list some websites below that you can rely on for the information you need to make an informed fishing decision when you're there. Again, this is why Cholla Bay would be perfect for a novice or anyone that has experience but not in saltwater. Wind tends to blow from the South this time of year for another month or so until the dreaded NORTHERLY's start in December. When the wind is out of the south Cholla Bay offers two perfectly protected launching areas as mentioned above. Tucson Beach and JJ's. JJ's being extremely easy to find and if you're unfamiliar with CB just ask someone in JJ's how to get to Tucson Beach (couple streets away .25 mile). Once again because these areas are protected from south wind they offer hassle free launching. No worries about tipping the yak here. As mentioned above these two areas are becoming more crowded later in the day or on Sundays especially. The launch in front of JJ's is somewhat commercial now so it is always accessible.

Cholla Bay offers some of the best fishing opportunity from a kayak in Rocky Point. If the wind is calm enough launch at Tucson Beach and paddle out and around the point to the south. Fishing the point is the best and can be rewarding but if the wind starts to blow I would recommend staying inside the point near Tucson Beach/Bay. Either way you can't go wrong with selecting Cholla Bay for your put IN/OUT. Some of the best fishing, protected from south wind and overall just an excellent place to kayak. When launching in Cholla Bay it is highly recommended to consult the TIDE CHARTS. Do NOT leave your vehicle below the high tide line while the tide is coming in. Sounds ridiculous but you'd be surprised how many people do it.

Wind Finder
- Wind less than 10mph = calm sea
- Wind 10-14mph = doable/use caution
- Wind 14 + mph = forget about it
- Wind out of the South = Cholla Bay launch only

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/bahia-la-choya

Tides 4 Fishing
- Check Hi/Lo tides and note time of day.
- Fish incoming tide/High Tide

http://www.tides4fishing.com/mx/sonora/puerto-penasco

ChollaBay4Life

Just got back from four more days of sun & fun....

Tried to do some fishing on Saturday 24 Sep. Took a 410 course out of the harbor for a thirty five mile run to where we got mucho nice Dodo's last month. We saw absolutely NOTHING. Not a fish, dolphin, whale, sea lion, frigate bird, tropic bird, tuna bird, booby or pelican. The Sargasso was all gone, blown south I guess. At 35 miles we came up on thirteen shrimpers in a right echelon formation heading south with each spread overlapping the boat in front by ten or twelve feet scraping the bottom clean.

We headed north for ten miles then took a course to Pelican Point. That 35 mile run was another wasteland with only a few flying fish to be seen. At the point the tide was running fast out of Bahia Adair, a dirty milky break on the north side of the reef and crystal clear water on the south side. We trolled the break with two deep diving spoon-billed plugs and had to quit due to non-stop Cabrilla hook-ups. We moved down along Cholla to the Gus Brown mansion and put the plugs back in. Got two nice sized Cochitos then got a hook-up that almost stopped the boat. I had 20 lb. mono on a Shimano level winder and the fish was ripping it off so fast that the reel was smoking. We couldn't turn so we backed down on him and started getting a few feet of line back on the reel. I usually don't fish with the boat in reverse but it was working. I finally got him up close enough to the boat to see an almost five foot White Sea Bass who looked me in the eye and said adios JJ. He took a run and bent two of the hooks on the rear trebel and the lure came shooting through the air back to the boat barely missing my cabesa.

This was almost the exact spot where I caught another hefty WSB last Thanksgiving day. Beginning to see a pattern here?

Sunday was too windy to get back out so we went 4-wheeling around the beaches on Adair Bay. More on that in another post.

JJ

Az_Bo

Thanks Jim and Joe for the information. I appreciate the URLs for the wind information. It will be put to good use! Hopefully the days I'm there won't be too windy.

I just thought about the area off the point south of Tuscon beach. Tide causes an extream water speed around the point. It could be a real problem if it caught you.

Bo,

I'll be down there Oct 9th - 15th and probably be fishing on the 11th and 13th (weather permitting). When we stay at the Sonoran Sun I just launch from Sandy Beach in front of the resort and hit the reef about 6/10 of mile out. If you are out that way and see a grey (Hobie calls it 'Dune') kayak out there, swing on over. There are a number of spots where you can get triggers and rock bass non-stop - not all of them are large, but it's pretty much non-stop action.

I've launched off the beach many times, and when there are waves, that first few yards can be pretty exciting going in and coming out. For some reason I find coming in the harder of the two. The key is keeping your yak in line with the waves -- especially in that first few feet, if the bottom of the boat touches the sand and you are sideways, the water just pushes you over. For me it is a matter of watching the waves for a few minutes, timing my entry and paddling like a banshee until I'm out past any breaking waves. For a less experienced friend, I wade in and help them launch, since i can keep them lined up and give them a shove in the right direction. Coming in, I keep up my speed so I'm able to steer, and then leap out of the boat as soon as the nose of the boat hit sand. If I linger, the next wave pivots my boat and I'm suddenly broadside to the waves and it's going over.

Great advice above, have a leash or bungee on everything. :)

T

JoseAz

That dismount can be exhilarating right!

I have a 12ft aluminum v-hull in las conchas. If there are waves on the way in I often turn around and face the boat into the waves 20 yards out. I'll drop my anchor and let out line until I'm shallow but just beyond where the waves are breaking. We jump out, carry coolers, rods, whatever might get loose on us to the beach. Then, standing in the water, we time the waves for a series of little guys. At the right moment, we whip the boat around, keep the nose pointed up and run it as high up on the beach as we can. The waves often give us a little push on the back side, but can also roll over the back. With a little luck we are on stable beach and can pull her up and out of the water.
With a little bad luck or poor execution, it can be a funny thing for the rest of the group to watch

Az_Bo

Good stuff guys, thanks for the tips on the timing of the waves. Sounds like I'll have to do a couple of launches and docks without any gear aboard the yak. I'll definitely be expecting a hiccup or two since this will be my first time out. Also, Fisherman2008, I'll be on the lookout for your Dune. I'm getting pumped about this!

Another thing to when going in is to remember that you can not fasater than the wave. As you start and feel the boat starting to turn reverse paddle or just drag an ore to re align the boat. Takes a little learning but if you do it on small surf you can figure it out without your head in the sand. I speak from experiance!

We will be down next week for the Winter and may be we can get together We stay in Plya De Oro space 50 tele 520 251-0656 e-mail [email protected]

Bill Hale

JoseAz

had the same problem with our SUP....knees were good but when trying to stand up, one full paddle and the SUP turned on a dime causing me to face plat over the front. trying to cal and do little paddles....