King Bed + Mattress: Buy or Bring???

I am headed down in a couple weeks and want to upgrade an old/broken queen bed to a king. I found this frame on Amazon for $209: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R6OX5IM/
And this mattress for $295: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005A4OMKA/

So they would be ~$500 total. I think there's a 15% tax at border so lets say $600. I would prefer to buy down there, but I'm doubtful about selection and price. (I want a clean basic frame like the one here) With the exchange rate so favorable, I think maybe I could get something cheap, but I remember looking at mattresses at Sam's Club earlier this year and it seemed like a total rip-off, even with the good fx rate . I've never been to Hacienda del Sol and not sure what their selection and pricing is like. Any feedback is appreciated!

Pic from Amazon:
KING_BED.jpg

+1 on Muebles Colonales, south of The Super Ley on Constitution about 1 block before Benito Juarez, next to a bus station. I didn't know the could get stuff from the USA. Thx

I purchased a Cal King inner spring pillow top mattress, ( they sell all sizes), in May for $360 delivered to my place in Cholla.
It is the equivalent of what they sell in Phx for $600. After I add a 2" memory foam topper ($75) it will be
a super comfortable bed (I like them semi soft). We did that with the 2 queen mattresses we bought from MC.
The $360 included the 2 pc box spring with 6" riser legs that they can sell separately for approx $60.
You could buy the base from Amazon and then buy a mattress from MC for less of a hassle by not trailering it down
and messing with customs, the base looks like a easier piece to hide coming down vs a mattress.
I used my Capitol one credit card to buy the bed, no foreign transaction fee
and got 18.5 for the exchange rate, MC was quoting 17 to 1, last May.

Last edited:

Kiter

+ 2 on Muebles. We just bought a mattress from them, and I sleep so well down there. Not quite sure if it is the mattress or lack of state-side stress.

marybna

I bought from then many years ago when I had a place at Spa. They told me I could order from a catalog and if I didn't like I could order something else.

Thanks guys for the feedback! I'd like to have it installed when I arrive in a 2 weeks so I'll try to contact them today to see how we could work things out to get something ordered in advance so it would be ready when we get there.

Thanks Gang for the advice, just got back from a week long stay and mission accomplished. Got a king size mattress from Muebles Coloniales for 3,200 pesos (~$165) plus free delivery! Didn't get the frame there since they were a bit pricey and for most frames you had to get the complete bedroom set (nightstands, dresser, etc). Went to Hacienda del Sol, and although it seems more high end than Coloniales, they had a frame that was almost identical to the one I mentioned in my original post (from Amazon). It was $298 plus $25 for delivery- they are wiser (from their point of view) and charge everything in dollars. So locked n loaded for ~$500 bucks, which is similar to what the Amazon price would've been, but with no import taxes/hassles, and no fuss delivery to condo. Not the greatest pic, but great end result:
CAMA.JPG
P.S. As Roberto cautioned, they indeed are differences between MEX and USA sizes, and did cause some confusion. I investigated in store and on-line and will try to report what I learned in a separate post. Thanks again. -Marty

Thanks Gang for the advice, just got back from a week long stay and mission accomplished. Got a king size mattress from Muebles Coloniales for 3,200 pesos (~$165) plus free delivery! Didn't get the frame there since they were a bit pricey and for most frames you had to get the complete bedroom set (nightstands, dresser, etc). Went to Hacienda del Sol, and although it seems more high end than Coloniales, they had a frame that was almost identical to the one I mentioned in my original post (from Amazon). It was $298 plus $25 for delivery- they are wiser (from their point of view) and charge everything in dollars. So locked n loaded for ~$500 bucks, which is similar to what the Amazon price would've been, but with no import taxes/hassles, and no fuss delivery to condo. Not the greatest pic, but great end result:
View attachment 7904
P.S. As Roberto cautioned, they indeed are differences between MEX and USA sizes, and did cause some confusion. I investigated in store and on-line and will try to report what I learned in a separate post. Thanks again. -Marty
Are they new or more like refurbished ? Sounds too cheap to be true?

Are they new or more like refurbished ? Sounds too cheap to be true?
At $165 that does seem pretty low,. In May, I bought a new middle grade Cal King pillow top they had with box spring it was $360 (6600 pesos)
got 18.5 -1 using a no fee CC.
Humm, maybe? because the peso is 19.4-1, when Buff Marty bought, so buying just my mattress would be $250 today,
sounds like he bought the one priced lower than what I got, a great deal and it looks nice.
I don't believe MC sells used furniture,
It seems like the Mexico beds are narrower, my Cal King is 70" vs 72" in the US.

Hey all! Everything was brand new, and as I said it was also great to have them delivered right to the condo. (as I mentioned, Coloniales had free shipping, Hacienda del Sol charged $25)

As far as pricing on the mattress, one important thing to note was that it was just the mattress, i.e. no boxspring, so that probably makes it cheaper. This was mostly due to the fact that the frame we got wasn't very "deep" so doesn't really need one, and also my wife and I both prefer beds being lower to the ground. (we also have 2 small kids which is also a consideration).

Also, we literally told them to show us the mattresses starting from the cheapest to the most expensive and that we'd pick the first one we liked. The first one we got was the Spring Air Bronce (Bronze) which was 3,200 pesos for king size. It is very firm, but my wife likes them that way, and I'm most indifferent, so we said "SOLD!"

The frame seems very sturdy and as I said the mattress is very firm, but that is OK for us. I will update in the future if anything significant happens over time. Thanks- Marty