La Cita Cafe

beachgirl

Well Known Member
We had breakfast there this morning....what a nice little place!! The lady that works there (she may be an owner) was delightful, the food was yummy, it's very clean and it's right around the corner from my favorite bakery!! (La Cubanita) We're pretty bland when it comes to breakfast...Bruce ordered bacon and eggs and I, chorizo and eggs. But it was wonderful and plentiful and.....she freshed squeezed our orange juice, which to me, makes all the difference in the world!!!!! While we were enjoying our breakfast, the driver of a very, very nice motorcoach parked across the street, came in, talked to the lady and left. (We couldn't tell if there were people on the coach or not, but it was obviously a tour bus). She proceeded to tell us that they heard how great her garlic shrimp and fish dishes are and how inexpensive they are, so they were planning on coming back with 40 people at 1:00 for lunch!!! That made her day!!! It's located on Cuahutemos, just off of Sonora. Try it!!!

beachgirl

Well Known Member
Speaking of La Cubanita, just can't get enough of that place. I said it was my favorite, but that's a little unfair....it's the only bakery I've been too!! But when something's that good, why go elsewhere???? (I did but a pan de casa at Bodega out of curiosity....it was good, but not bakery good, LOL!!)

El Gato

Well Known Member
Is this the same La Cita that used to be at the old port? Such wonderful memories of that place!!!! Especially the 25 cent big blue shrimp cocktail served in an old fashioned milk shake glass. Oh, I guess that does date me somewhat :)

What street is the bakery on?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh, the memories.... La Cita cafe in Old Port with mama Lupita, RIP. These are her kids. They reopened last year in this new location. I remember La Cita in the 70's. Best air conditioning in town! The food was beyond yummy, too! We used to go in there and eat a long meal just to get cooled off. That's when I had a tumble down cabin in Choya with no A/C. They were always so nice...didn't complain about us college kids staying 3 hours.......I guess I'm dating myself too, El Gato! LOL! What a great time we had then..........

beachgirl

Well Known Member
The bakery is on the corner of Sonora and Cuahutemos.....the people that work there (owners I'm assuming) are so nice and everything is soooo yummy!!!

beachgirl

Well Known Member
We decided to try tacos at a couple of different places in Old Port. We always go to Asadero Guss (it is on a side street, but you can sit upstairs and still see the fish market), because Bruce eats only carne asada tacos (BORING!!) and I eat any kind of tacos...........and they have the best of both, IMHO LOL!! So we tried Linda Vista and Iguana Banana. At Linda Vista, the carne asada tacos were standard, not too fatty but the fish tacos were more breading than fish. I ended up picking the breading off trying to find fish........not good. They did, however, come with cabbage. At Iguana Banana, the carne asada tacos were rather fatty, but the fish tacos were how I like them from time to time......not breaded at all. But they came with tomatoes and guacamole, no cabbage. I don't know about anyone else, but I like my tacos with cabbage. I think we'll stick with Asadero Guss as our favorite for now (did I mention that their tacos come with the condiment tray full of veggies and salsas, which the other two places don't!!!).......but we will try other places next time as well!!!! BTW, so disappointed that our favorite taco stand/restaurant in the Mirador area wasn't opened at all while we were here. It's the place that had the banner out front that just said "TACOS y BURRITOS" but I did see that Letty had her stand open over Memorial weekend....her tacos are great as well!! Can't wait to get back in three weeks!!!!

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Julie, have you try Tacos Brisas? in the southwest corner in Sinaloa and Melchor Ocampo, you will be surprise, no fish, meat and best "tripa" in town!! try their green chili con carne YUMM!! and for best fish tacos you should check Mary's YUMM2!!
And for a good birria, I like the Vaca Chenta!!

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
I'll have to try La Cita again- it was the first place I had a Mexican Shrimp Cocktail in the late 70's (served in the sundae glass), and I was hooked. I can't stand American shrimp cocktails, but Mexican- yum. I was sad to see them move from Old Port.

Braden_909

Design & Marketing Gringo
My favorites:

Carne Asada tacos: Vaca Chenta (kind of over-run with americans now)
Pork Tacos: Viva Mexico in Old Port
Birria: La Perlita taco stand on Simon Morua, near josefa dominguez (BEST BIRRIA/TORTILLERIA IN TOWN. It makes the birria at Vaca Chenta look like a joke!)
Fish Tacos: Viva Mexico in Old Port
Posole: Cenaduria Loly behind Coppel

beachgirl

Well Known Member
Eduardo, we haven't tried Brisas yet.....it was on our list, but we didn't make it. Definitely will be checking them out in a couple of weeks. Everything I've had at Mary's is good.........can't beat her place!!!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Julie,
Brisas is the bomb. Get a Sonoran papa but only get one to split. They are huge! And yummylicilious!!!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
They take a humongo potato and bake it, then scrape out the potato from the skin and mix it with carne asada, onions and 6 pounds of cheese and some other stuff and put it back in the potato skin and broil it until the cheese is melted and ooey gooey.......Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!! It's also 7 bucks but more than enough for 2 and well worth it!

Last edited:

rplarry

Well Known Member
They take a humongo potato and bake it, then scrape out the potato from the skin and mix it with carne asada, onions and 6 pounds of cheese and some other stuff and put it back in the potato skin and broil it until the cheese is melted and ooey gooey.......Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!! It's also 7 bucks but more than enough for 2 and well worth it!
Don't forget the fresh green chile strips on this dish as well!

This is definitely one of the best meals for just 'pure grub' in all of Rocky Point. By the way, at Tacos Brisas, the owner (Gama) calls this dish "Papas Rellenos". It is $7 as stated prior, yet it is probably the equivalent of 4-5 tacos in carne alone. It is huge. Then all the fixins' and tortillas they give you with this makes it a great deal. As ladyjeeper said, can be split by 2 or can make a couple meals for 1 person. Another great choice at Tacos Brisas are the "Caramello Tacos". Generous carne asada taco with that 'gooey' and flavorful white cheese. Good, good stuff...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, the green chiles were the "other stuff' that I couldn't remember at the time. "Gettin' old ain't for sissies!" LOL!

RPLarry, are the tacos dorados or soft? Do they have table cream to go with?

Braden_909

Design & Marketing Gringo
what times are they open?

Not sure. Also not sure if they produce flower tortillas but I much prefer corn with my birria. I know they are always open on mornings during weekdays. Birria is more of a morning until noon thing.

mondone

Whitecaps
I AM SO THERE! Any days that they are closed? Hours of operation?