La Pinta 11-13-11

Finally found another spare day for a day trip down to the beach. This time with the little Shore-Fisher in tow as well. Needless to say, I was a little late in getting out of the house, but no worries - I was a little concerned that 6 hours on the beach may be a little too long for a four-year-old anyway - particularly with the weather looking a little tricky...

Anyway, got away around 6 AM to the same sort of weather I had when I last went down in July. Wet!

IMG_2507.jpg IMG_2493.jpg

But who would have thunk that the first time I see rivers crossing the main road to Why, it is in the winter, not the monsoon. Most of the washes were just a case of slowing down somewhat, but this particular one I actually stopped and got out to check...

IMG_2506.jpg
I also realize that there is not only a playa in Willcox....

IMG_2504.jpg
Anyway, the border was quiet, and I cruised through Sonoyta, which was basically a series of rivers with a strip of blacktop between them. It was wet! But just as I started out of the other side of Sonoyta, the skies started clearing up.

IMG_2516.jpg
In my 12 years of going down to PP, I have never seen clouds over the mountains, but here they are.

IMG_2518.jpg
The main road down to PP was not too bad after the rain, but when I got past the Caborca turnoff, it got a little trickier. At the main 'river' crossing before La Pinta, they had the army out slowing down traffic. I'm not sure why they needed all of that firepower for traffic control, but I suppose they were prepared. Needless to say, photos would probably not have gone down well.... It looked like the worst of the actual rain had passed before I got there, but it shows you that these estuaries are actually that sometimes.

IMG_2520.jpg
As you can imagine, the dirt road down to the beach was a little cut-up, but there were no problems getting down and by the time we got to the water it was around 10 AM and the skies were clearing up nicely.

IMG_2522.jpg
I made a concious effort to minimize the amount of stuff I took this time.

IMG_2525.jpg
It all worked out pretty well except that I did forget my longnose pliers. But I can tell you that those circle hooks really do the job well, as I only had one fish that was difficult to unhook by hand.

The day turned out really nice, with the perfect match of sunny weather with cool temperatures and a warm sea. Junior was happy playing in the sea and sand, and also enjoyed filling my fish bucket with sand. I was a little worried when the larger pelicans seemed to take an interest in him, but all ended well.

IMG_2533.jpg IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2541.jpg

The fishing? Well, I fished mainly with shrimp bait, trotting along the bottom with a 1/2 oz weight in the current. I caught 2 Triggers, a Puffer, uncountable Bay Bass - including some decent 2-taco-sized ones that I would have fried up there and then if I had the gear. But in the end there was just one keeper, a 1-1/2 lb Shortfin Corvina below. He made some very nice fish cakes for the family Monday night.

IMG_2534.jpg

Ed

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Was this another day trip Ed? Love the shots, would also love to find out how to get out there to where you were!

A

azbeachboy

Even when the fishing sucks, La Pinta is a great place to spend the day!

It is the far (East) side of the La Pinta estuary. I'm sure somebody knows the mile marker number just west of the turnoff from the Caborca road onto the dirt road to the beach, but I don't. It was a day trip, from Tucson.

fish3.jpgfish1.jpgfish2.jpg

Roberto

I'll be going out Thanksgiving Day to explore the gold stamping mill some more and maybe even wet a line.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It is the far (East) side of the La Pinta estuary. I'm sure somebody knows the mile marker number just west of the turnoff from the Caborca road onto the dirt road to the beach, but I don't. It was a day trip, from Tucson.

View attachment 3671View attachment 3672View attachment 3670
If anyone is interested I own 5 (yes 5) lots on the main road leading into La Pinta and if someone wants one or all 5 and has some cash and is nice to me I may just title it over to the fortunate soul! 3 of the lots are contiguous (they touch) and 2 are separate and yes they have a clean title with all 88 ejidotarios signatures attached..... I have a deal!

Roberto

La PInta is a few miles south of the Mayan Palace. It is the second estuary going south from Penasco. Marua, then La Pinta.