La Pinta 6/8

We were in RP 6/7 thru 6/10 and I fished the La Pinta estuary on the kayak on 6/8. I was going to last year's launch point - the panga launch accessed at about km post 32 on the Caborca road. But there are signs saying Prohibidad and something about the Federales.

I could see the pangeros were ignoring the signs, but being a foreigner, I decided to go to San Jorge to launch instead. It's not as nice to launch there since it's a quarter mile slog to the water and it's a bit of a paddle to the estuary

Regardless, I paddled over to the estuary and started trolling. Water depth in the estuary was consistently 15 feet at high tide. It was 20 feet in the channel on the Mayan palace side and 25 feet in the channel on the San Jorge side.

I caught about no Corvina this time. Tried trolling rebel minnows which has been productive in previous trips. Then tried casting crocodile spoons. Nothing. I finally caught a few small (10" or so) fish that may have been little cabrilla or spotted bay bass. These I caught using a crankbait in the channel on the San Jorge side.

It was a bit of a death march back as the wind switched direction and, after being in my face the whole way out, it decided to be in my face half of the way back too. This is not a good thing in an inflatable kayak.

During the rest of our trip the surf was too high to get out except for a few minutes on 6/9 in the evening. On 6/10 rocky point turned into windy point and it was completely hopeless with what I'd guess was at least 3 foot surf and 12-15 mph sustained winds.

So, the fishing sucked -- this was the first trip with no Corvina caught.
But the kayaking was memorable - it was the first time to go all the way across the estuary. Next time I want to forget the fishing once and just explore up the estuary.

Does any one know if the No Trespassing signs at KM 32 should be obeyed or what is going on there?

I just ignored them Memorial weekend. I was planning on pleading ignorance if caught. Lots of fishermen and pangas. They seemed cool with it.

The last time I was down there they had put two big posts up but no signes. Have they attached the fence to them? I can't imagine they will close it.

playaperro

El Pirata
I myself would would not cross fenced property line's, I don't do it on the USA side why would I risk it in the other side just asking for trouble, The pangas might have struck a deal with the property owner so they might have the right to be out there. Always ask first!

The posts are there, but no gate. The signs appear hand-written but are pretty big and there are two, one for each direction of traffic on the main road. I wonder if they have something in the works to protect the estuary area.

playaperro

El Pirata
Maybe the gate walked away, Most of the time they put a guard shack up and have an entry Fee...Beautiful Area...May be in time it will be up...Fish while you can!

dmcauley

The Mexican law reads that there must be public access every 400 meters whether there is a sign or not. I know no more!