Leave your guns at home

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
A man and wife were arrested yesterday in Sonoyta for forgetting they had a loaded gun under the seat. Always know where your guns are and if you are coming to Mexico they should be home locked up, not under your seat. This will be an expensive and long term lesson for them. They had kids in the car but they were released to friends in another car travelling with them.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Good. Anyone stupid enough to enter Mexico with a firearm deserves the justice they get. As the saying goes, I bet they won't do that again.

JayT

Thank you, Russ, for sharing the story. It's a good reminder to triple-check our vehicles and luggage to make absolutely sure you're clean going into Mexico. I can't imagine how quickly things turn really bad for someone who forgot about their loaded gun. And, there are a few reminder signs heading south just before the border. I think one says, "Guns not allowed in Mexico" and I recall the red electronic signs flashing reminders about over $10k cash and guns in Mexico. I wonder how many guns have been buried by southbound tourists in the desert just north of the border? Jail is a very different and more shocking experience without HVAC, meals, sanitation, cots, etc. that you may expect in the US. I've heard a few similar stories of people being released after a few days and lots of money changing hands, stripped of vehicle, phones, wallet, passports, etc. Not sure how that all works and never want to find out. Brutal.

audsley

Well Known Member
I can't imagine how anyone could forget having a loaded gun in their vehicle, but a round or two of ammunition is an easy mistake to make. There are so many nooks and crannies under the seats and in storage areas that you can miss one or two when unpacking after a hunt or a trap shoot. A friend looking for his lost car keys once found two shotgun shells under a passenger seat in my truck. He was not pleased with me. Another time I discovered I'd left a box of .22 CB shorts in my camera bag.

The lesson: The time to search your vehicle or bags for things that need to be OUT is when you return home from the outing you took them for. It's not when you're preparing to go to Mexico and have tons of things to do and might be in too big a hurry to search the dark, tight places thoroughly.

I don't know how the Mexican authorities would react to a couple of No. 8 shells or some low velocity .22 shorts, but I don't aim to find out.

richwi

Well Known Member
Why do I suspect that the gun wasn't "forgotten"? My speculation is that they knew they had the gun in the car and had probably taken it to Penasco before without issues and happened to get searched this time. I could be 100% wrong but it seems so very unlikely someone would "forget" they had a gun in the car. If they really did forget a gun was in their car they probably shouldn't be carrying one in the first place.

cholla

Well Known Member
I have bought a bag of ziplocks in Gila Bend and buried a gun in the desert on the way down. Picked it up coming back, no problems.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Just recently we had the red light and the agent made both of us get out of the car and he searched the entire front seat area. Under the seats etc. Never happened before in dozens and dozens of visits.

richwi

Well Known Member
We live in Penasco and go back to AZ a couple times a month typically. Every once in a great while we get searched.