Lobos Tips?

CBFinet

So it looks like I might get the chance to head down to Lobos from RP for a day trip on Tuesday. I've been searching the forum for more info and thought I would ask if anyone had some tips.

First off the directions look pretty straight forward following the Caborca Hwy 37 before turning off to head SW to Lobos. Google Maps is saying 4 1/2 hrs? I thought I read something about it being closer to 2 hrs. Does anyone know what to look for to catch the road SW to Lobos from the Hwy?

I'll be driving a 2wd SUV and taking my 13ft. Zodiac. From the pictures it looks fairly undeveloped so I would guess launching near the lighthouse would be okay. Any info here would be appreciated as I'll only have a day to fish and would like to maximize the time on the water.

I'll take any advice at this point from launch sites, fishing spots, where to eat, etc.

Thanks,
Chris

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Santo Tomas is 60 miles south of RP and Lobos is another 40 past ST. So you're looking at 100 miles one way from RP. Head out the Caborca highway, as you approach the big OVERPASS go under it and keep going south. DO NOT use the OVERPASS as this will take you inland towards Y Griega and eventually Caborca. You will see the signs for Santo Tomas and see the ejido on the right, keep going. You will now start to see signage for Desemboque and Puerto Lobos. Stay left at this juncture as going right will take you in to Desemboque. You will continue south another 35 to 40 miles and will see the signage for LOBOS. The turn off comes up quick but it is marked. Take the 2 or so mile dirt road into Lobos. Just north of the lighthouse you can launch on the beach or there is actually a paved ramp depending on tide/water level. I would suggest getting gas and absolutely FILLING UP to the brim at the gas station next to Las Conchas as this is the last station anywhere near where you're going. There are little snack shops in Lobos for coke and chips but I dont know about actual food food. Might consider taking food with you. Fish off of the points near the lighthouse and other points. Good luck and maybe someone else can add a few other things.

CBFinet

Santo Tomas is 60 miles south of RP and Lobos is another 40 past ST. So you're looking at 100 miles one way from RP. Head out the Caborca highway, as you approach the big OVERPASS go under it and keep going south. DO NOT use the OVERPASS as this will take you inland towards Y Griega and eventually Caborca. You will see the signs for Santo Tomas and see the ejido on the right, keep going. You will now start to see signage for Desemboque and Puerto Lobos. Stay left at this juncture as going right will take you in to Desemboque. You will continue south another 35 to 40 miles and will see the signage for LOBOS. The turn off comes up quick but it is marked. Take the 2 or so mile dirt road into Lobos. Just north of the lighthouse you can launch on the beach or there is actually a paved ramp depending on tide/water level. I would suggest getting gas and absolutely FILLING UP to the brim at the gas station next to Las Conchas as this is the last station anywhere near where you're going. There are little snack shops in Lobos for coke and chips but I dont know about actual food food. Might consider taking food with you. Fish off of the points near the lighthouse and other points. Good luck and maybe someone else can add a few other things.
Thanks Joe. That helps a lot. Any estimate of time to get there at a reasonable speed? I've heard the road can be a little rough.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Actually, there is a gas station at Ygriega so it is not a problem..... It took us probably 3 hours but we weren't going over 50 or 60 most of the way....

So it looks like I might get the chance to head down to Lobos from RP for a day trip on Tuesday. I've been searching the forum for more info and thought I would ask if anyone had some tips.

First off the directions look pretty straight forward following the Caborca Hwy 37 before turning off to head SW to Lobos. Google Maps is saying 4 1/2 hrs? I thought I read something about it being closer to 2 hrs. Does anyone know what to look for to catch the road SW to Lobos from the Hwy?

I'll be driving a 2wd SUV and taking my 13ft. Zodiac. From the pictures it looks fairly undeveloped so I would guess launching near the lighthouse would be okay. Any info here would be appreciated as I'll only have a day to fish and would like to maximize the time on the water.

I'll take any advice at this point from launch sites, fishing spots, where to eat, etc.

Thanks,
Chris
Check out some fishing info under the "yellow tail in Lobos" post here: http://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/yellowtail-catch-in-lobos.8769/ Caught lots of YT, skipjacks and bass on metal lures on fast retrieve at 150-200 ft. of depth.

The reason Google Maps says is 4.5 hours is that it wants to take you via Caborca. Apparently they and most GPS and mapping sites do not know about the coast route. The info by CBFinet is solid. It basically takes you off the main road to Caborca and on the direct route to Lobos. There are two (or is it three?) detours that take you on the side of the road. They are covered in gravel. Best thing to do is drive slow <40MPH and stay as far to the right as possible if you see oncoming traffic. Lots of pebbles being flung all over by people driving like madmen. Easy way to lose a windshield.

If you are launching a zodiac and don't need a ramp you can probably go from just about any beach. Water is shallow at a distance so try to catch the higher tides otherwise you may have to push a few hundred feet before you can get enough draft to go on the engine.

CBFinet

Did you mean info by Mexico Joe is solid? 'Cause I have no idea at this point.

Thanks for the tips on depth and metal lures. I've got some 3-4 oz jigs that I'm hoping will work to get down there. I may have one 8 oz but that's about as heavy as it gets. Should I get some more heavier ones?

It sounds like as long as I keep right and go under the overpass it should put me on track to Santo Tomas and eventually Lobos. I may have some help getting the boat (inflatable) in the water so I'll look for the ramp and go from there.

High tide is around 2:30 in RP so I'm assuming similar for Lobos. I figure leaving around 6am, boat in the water by 9:30 and hopefully a solid 6+ hours of fishing.

It sounds like the depth drops off a lot faster than in RP hence the bigger fish in close. If I get into them anyone that has offered advice is entitled to some fillets!

Thanks again,
Chris

Thanks for the tips on depth and metal lures. I've got some 3-4 oz jigs that I'm hoping will work to get down there. I may have one 8 oz but that's about as heavy as it gets. Should I get some more heavier ones?

It sounds like the depth drops off a lot faster than in RP hence the bigger fish in close. If I get into them anyone that has offered advice is entitled to some fillets!

Thanks again,
Chris
RE directions- Yes sorry got your and his name mixed up.

We were using three and four ounce Kastmasters. You probably won't need much heavier than that unless for some reason the current is really strong. We were about 3 miles west of Lobos. If you have a depth/fish finder just use it to find some structure, bait balls and try the fast retrieve. If the YT are asleep you can come in closer and use same technique and get some bass. We caught forty bass in two days.

I am hoping to try the same tactic on San Diego YT but my boat is acting up. Looks like it's time to rebuild the carb.

Kenny

Joe's directions were right on and he had in them two very important point's.
(1. as you approach the big OVERPASS go under it and keep going south. DO NOT use the OVERPASS as this will take you inland towards Y Griega and eventually Caborca.)...
( 2.You will now start to see signage for Desemboque and Puerto Lobos. Stay left at this juncture as going right will take you in to Desemboque.)
Sounds like you've got the idea about how to fish there and I'm sure you'll do fine, but don't forget to spit on your lure or bait.​

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

It sounds like as long as I keep right and go under the overpass it should put me on track to Santo Tomas and eventually Lobos. I may have some help getting the boat (inflatable) in the water so I'll look for the ramp and go from there.

High tide is around 2:30 in RP so I'm assuming similar for Lobos. I figure leaving around 6am, boat in the water by 9:30 and hopefully a solid 6+ hours of fishing.

Thanks again,
Chris
This is me in LOBOS 4 weeks ago, I can assure you that the directions are spot on and correct. I said there is no gas station anywhere close to you and from a logistics standpoint I stick by my word. Lady Jeeper is talking about a gas station that is exactly 30 MILES out of your way inland. Yes, Y Griega. This can be used if need be but like I said it is 30 miles completely in the wrong direction out of the way. Like I said, fill up in Las Conchas and do yourself a favor! If you absolutely need gas, Y Griega is the town before Caborca, when you see the signage to go to Caborca that would mean Y Griega also. Trust me, it isn't as confusing as it is sounding to you right now. When you get out there, if you have any pre knowledge you will be fine. There is signage and I believe it is sufficient. Leigh did tell me that there is gas in LOBOS but it is the 10 gallon drum in the guys house variety! LOL Have fun bro!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Also, TIDE will be about 1 hr earlier in LOBOS than RP because it is further south. Thank you! and Do work!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I did not know there was a short cut to Lobos. Is that a new road recently constructed? When I went last time, the people who led us went thru Ygriega......

Roberto

I did not know there was a short cut to Lobos. Is that a new road recently constructed? When I went last time, the people who led us went thru Ygriega......
You pick up the new coastal highway before the Y. It goes more directly down along the coast all the way to Liberdad.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh, that must be pretty! I'll have to pack a couple of cans of gas and go! I got only 200 mile range, if that, in my Jeep......Is this a new road?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Lobos is all beach launch in the bay east of the Lighthouse - If your zodiak can be pushed in by hand, then you will be fine. If you need to back it into the water on the trailer, then I wouldn't chance it with a 2wd... Arturo can launch you with his beach tractor, then park your trailer, and then re-trailer you at the end of day, for 30 bucks.

Jeff Boyd and I just returned from there - we towed our boats down and fished Lobos this past Saturday. Fishing was awesome, and it will still be on awesome Tuesday if the wind lets you get out.

Also, the new road is 90% done- there are still 2 sections that are washboard gravel, and the road into Lobos from the highway was also pretty bumpy, but we managed to tow two 7000+ boats/trailers in and out without major incident- I did lose one taillight... literally. The whole thing vibrated off the trailer and was donated to the Mexican desert somewhere....

jerry

If you are short on gas and hungry head farther south 25 miles to Libertad.There are a few restaurants,a good hardware store and a Pemex.The coastal highway trip is really pretty.Avoid driving at dark of course.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
One more tip about taking a boat down to Lobos- BRING YOUR REGISTRATION PAPERS.

There is a checkpoint just past the Mayan palace that may (or may not) ask to see your boat and/or truck registration.

and regarding gas - if you have a 250+ mile range with a full tank, then RP to Lobos and back should a snap - we towed down heavy (1/2 tank of gas in the boat, plus 200 pounds of ice on board) on Saturday morning running 75-80 on the paved sections (in giddy anticipation of bloody decks and slimey hands); and then towed back to RP at 65 pushing into a steady 20mph wind, and we still burned less than a full tank of diesel.

and if you get down there and realize you have burned more fuel than you expected to, they usually have gas at the small bodega near the beach lauch area, and will usually sell you 5 or 6 gallons, but it might cost you a kidney. Otherwise, take Jerry's advice and head down to Libertad to fill it up- Libertad is a lot closer to Lobos than Y Griega is

jerry

One more tip about taking a boat down to Lobos- BRING YOUR REGISTRATION PAPERS.

There is a checkpoint just past the Mayan palace that may (or may not) ask to see your boat and/or truck registration.

and regarding gas - if you have a 250+ mile range with a full tank, then RP to Lobos and back should a snap - we towed down heavy (1/2 tank of gas in the boat, plus 200 pounds of ice on board) on Saturday morning running 75-80 on the paved sections (in giddy anticipation of bloody decks and slimey hands); and then towed back to RP at 65 pushing into a steady 20mph wind, and we still burned less than a full tank of diesel.

and if you get down there and realize you have burned more fuel than you expected to, they usually have gas at the small bodega near the beach lauch area, and will usually sell you 5 or 6 gallons, but it might cost you a kidney. Otherwise, take Jerry's advice and head down to Libertad to fill it up- Libertad is a lot closer to Lobos than Y Griega is
Also north the beer store in Alvaro Obregon ( santo Tomas turnoff) a little fat guy will sell you gas ...house behind green metal gate

CBFinet

Well the start of this thread was my hopes of making it to Lobos last spring. Unfortunately I never made it as the schedule didn't allow and my last few trips down have been quick turnarounds.

I'm going tomorrow night with my wife and the dog, staying in RP for the night and then heading down to Lobos early Monday. We plan on camping Monday night down there so any suggestions for where to look for a spot are appreciated.

Any recent reports from Lobos? I just got a 15hp outboard to put on my zodiac and have gone through the motor pretty thoroughly so I feel comfortable getting out a few miles if the weather is decent.

It sounds like there's corvina to be had close to shore and then looking for ridges/rock piles out aways. I have a portable fish finder (transom mount so I have to take it up when moving at any speed).

Any suggestions for direction to head out of Lobos? I think Santa may be bringing me a handheld gps but for now it's just the fish finder and compass if needed.

I keep trying to get down there and it doesn't happen but with any luck I think it will this time. I will get pictures posted this time!

jerry

Cello Point south of Libertad is on my list to camp Boojum trees and rocks for fishing..I am going to camp there in Feb. If you are down come along...look for Quilta (sp) in lobos...he speaks some english and will be helpful....my friends own 10 acres on the beach North of the point...problem is the dump fronts it..but you could camp there...Peter Hartwig property...the crooked bastard.