Local Food Shift movement...good for Mexico if it gets going..

Roberto

Along those lines I have thought a lot about how great it would be if there was a local gardening movement. Yes the soil is thin and saline but that can be worked on. Lots of organic material is needed. I talked to a friend about starting to compost soil out of the organic trash that is taken to the land fill. Thats a real waste. That trash is valuable to the environment. It's labor intensive work but the payoff would be good. The solid waste from the treatment plant could be used if treated properly.

Lots of people out of work and the stay at home moms could watch the kids and tend the garden. With the mild winter here you might get two harvest a year. No reason that everyone who had a little plot of dirt could not have a tomato plant or two, squash and chile is easy, cold crops broccoli, lechuga, radishes, carrots for the winter. I'm sure the city has open land that could be used for community gardens for those without land. All of the schools seem to have a large parcel of land and what a great thing to teach the children. Yeah water might be a a problem but my understanding is that there is a large underground aquifer nearby. It might take awhile to determine which particular variety would grow best but it would pay off big. By selecting the particular variety of plant a seed bank could be set up. Keep the GMO's out and let Cargil go elsewhere. Could set up a farmers market. Town I last lived in in NM harvests thousands of pounds of food for the food banks every year, all on donated use land and volunteer labor.

It's the kind of thing that the government should get behind. Makes perfect sense and helps the neediest. Isn't there an agriculture college down in Hermosillo? If Mr. Slim could make money doing it it would happen.

It makes so much sense it gives me a headache.

beachlover56

Stuck in the Midwest
I've been following "My Contagious Generosity" on Facebook, a group from Chandler doing just that - composting/gardening/growing vegetables for the locals of Penasco.