Looking for a ride from Tucson to RP

sryoder

Cortez Cruiser
Hey compadres. We are currently in Bisbee, AZ in our little Toyota Dolphin motorhome. We just bought a house here and think the motorhome would be more useful here than back at our trailer in Puerto Peñasco. Don't really want to drive the MH back down to PP to get my pickup and then have to drive both rigs back to Bisbee. SO, I'm looking for a ride from Bisbee or Sierra Vista or Tucson to Rocky Point sometime in the next couple of weeks. I think there's a shuttle of some kind that can get me to the Tucson airport from here. With enough advance notice, I can arrange to meet you wherever you like, I think. I'll happily pay for gas. If there's anyone out there who can help me out, just message me. We don't need to make this a whole discussion on the forum. Thanks folks.
-Steve

jerry

Hey compadres. We are currently in Bisbee, AZ in our little Toyota Dolphin motorhome. We just bought a house here and think the motorhome would be more useful here than back at our trailer in Puerto Peñasco. Don't really want to drive the MH back down to PP to get my pickup and then have to drive both rigs back to Bisbee. SO, I'm looking for a ride from Bisbee or Sierra Vista or Tucson to Rocky Point sometime in the next couple of weeks. I think there's a shuttle of some kind that can get me to the Tucson airport from here. With enough advance notice, I can arrange to meet you wherever you like, I think. I'll happily pay for gas. If there's anyone out there who can help me out, just message me. We don't need to make this a whole discussion on the forum. Thanks folks.
-Steve

sryoder

Cortez Cruiser
I am going sometime soon maybe 7 days...in Bowie so we can meetup.
That would work out perfectly for me. Let me know a day or so ahead so I can figure out how to get to a good place to meet. My email is stephendotyoderatearthlinkdotnet.

jerry

Have you gone the Naco-Imuris route yet...I never have but hear the road is complete...problem is you never know until you see it

sryoder

Cortez Cruiser
Jerry,
I'm particularly interested in the Naco-Imuris route because we have a boat in San Carlos that we are going to put up for sale soon and I need to transport several pickup loads of stuff from the boat to our house in Bisbee. If the Naco route is a good one, it may save time versus going through Nogales.

FWIW, I followed the route on Google Earth and it looks like viable road the whole way.

-Steve

sryoder

Cortez Cruiser
This is the second or third time I have gotten a ride from a posting on this forum. Jerry was a great traveling companion and went so far as to actually pick me up in Bisbee, saving me the logistics of trying to get to Tucson or Phoenix. For those who may be wondering, we drove the Naco to Imuris route. The road was good all the way and the scenery going through the mountains was spectacular. Be aware, though, that the road is quite steep in places and very windy with no shoulders. I wouldn't take my little Toyota motorhome on it. Lots of truck traffic and we even happened o a truck that had apparently taken a "curva peligroso" a bit too fast and fell off the road and was hanging on the top of a very long downslope. We happened on it probably only a few minutes after it happened. There were several folks trying to help and probably trying to get the driver out. I suspect that traffic got snarled up shortly after we passed as lots of trucks were doing up from Imuris and presumably there were just as many coming from Agua Prieta behind us. And no shoulder to divert traffic to. So, like I say, pretty drive but I don't think I'll make it my regular route.

And once again, Thanks Jerry.

jerry

Great ride...we had a fun time.Thanks to Steve for helping me put the Penthouse for sale signs too and his buddy from Desemboque for the tip that the free road back from Altar to Magdalena was in good shape...saved some time and 150 peso's in tollsFB_IMG_1441150782773.jpg

JimMcG

If highway 43 was passable it would take you to south Nogales also. What were the free highway numbers from Altar to Magdalena?

sryoder

Cortez Cruiser
If highway 43 was passable it would take you to south Nogales also. What were the free highway numbers from Altar to Magdalena?
Jerry would be the better one to answer this since he came back that way and I didn't. But, on my Guia Roji road atlas, it looks like the highway from Altar north is SON84. The road that turns off it and takes you through Tubutama and ends in Magdalena is not numbered in the atlas.

JimMcG

Jerry would be the better one to answer this since he came back that way and I didn't. But, on my Guia Roji road atlas, it looks like the highway from Altar north is SON84. The road that turns off it and takes you through Tubutama and ends in Magdalena is not numbered in the atlas.
Thanks.
Different maps are slightly different from each other but the 'carreterra a Tubutama' from Magdalena looks like a continuation of the highway 64 from the southeast and joins highway 43 north at Tubutama where it carries both 43 and 64 highway designations. I would be curious if this road is good all the way to Nogales.

Last edited: