Looking For Match Light Fire Logs

Sonora

I have some lady friends coming down and are renting a house in Las Conchas that has wood fireplaces as their source of heat. Does anybody know if match light fire logs can be found anywhere in town or do they need to bring some down?

I know about the firewood sellers around town but where would they find small kindling to get it started?

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

Last edited:

mondone

Whitecaps
I would bring some down. The only places that I think may be a possibility is Sam's Club or Wal-Mart, but I don't know for sure.

There is a guy I believe named oscar with a green truck that sells wood, he delivers to us and he also provides some kindling. I am not sure but will see if I have his number not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonora

There is a guy I believe named oscar with a green truck that sells wood, he delivers to us and he also provides some kindling. I am not sure but will see if I have his number not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. His number would be appreciated! (What is the Spanish word for kindling?)

Thank you. His number would be appreciated! (What is the Spanish word for kindling?)
Spanish word for kindling- "Astillas", the word used most for the actual wood or sticks I've heard is "lena", I can't get this computer to do the squiggly line over the n so it's pronounced properly but it's supposed to be over the n. it would be [len-ya]

Last edited:

sryoder

Cortez Cruiser
I have some lady friends coming down and are renting a house in Las Conchas that has wood fireplaces as their source of heat. Does anybody know if match light fire logs can be found anywhere in town or do they need to bring some down?

I know about the firewood sellers around town but where would they find small kindling to get it started?

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.
If you bring a box to cart it off in, I have lots of small, kiln-dried scraps from various projects that make excellent kindling. No charge.

You can e-mail me at stephen.yoder(at)earthlink.net for directions, etc.

Landshark

I would take a couple of oil-filled radiator heaters. They heat very well and aren't too expensive to run. Used ones for sale on Craigslist for $30.
heater.jpg

Roberto

I would take a couple of oil-filled radiator heaters. They heat very well and aren't too expensive to run. Used ones for sale on Craigslist for $30.
View attachment 7704
Fireplaces are a terrible source of space heat unless designed with outside combustion air as they suck out air from inside the house through whatever openings, as the hot air and smoke go up the chimney. Since it is a rental cost is not a consideration. The oil filled ones work ok if you just never turn them off as they take forever to warm the air. I'd get a couple of forced air, toaster type heaters. They will warm up fast. I use one under a blanket, Japanese style, and that warms you up nice. I'd bring some extra comforters along for sure as it has been chilly here recently.