Major Fly Infestation

Cortez2

This last week and even today we have had a major fly infestation in Las Conchas so much so you can't even go outside without being swarmed with big black flies. I have read that Las Conchas HOA has donated 30 bags of lime for the dump, but this has hardly helped at all. If the City of Puerto Penasco wants tourism to continue to rise they must do something about this fly and dump problem.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
The flies were everywhere in PP this last weekend. I'm on the Mirador and they were everywhere.......

mondone

Whitecaps
Encanto was bad as well. Really put a damper on enjoying our patio, especially the days the wind was blowing from the north.

:hairout:

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Last year they where smoke bombing every afternoon at the Mayan. These are not your ordinary house fly but horseflies. They come in the afternoon when the winds die down to scrounge on dead carcasses on the beach. They have serrated teeth to cut through flesh. Dead whales and sea lions a favorite diet. What is eary is that you can be happily on the beach and hear a strange a slow hum which suddenly becomes a crescendo as they arrive to feast.

Cortez2

The major problem is the city dump. The fishermen dump tons of fish parts and guts in the dump and the flies feast on it. Roger Cliffton used to donate lime to cover these fish parts and stop the fly population. I think Roger is gone now and no one is keeping the lime campaign going. The city should address the problem just for the tourist traffic.

mondone

Whitecaps
The major problem is the city dump. The fishermen dump tons of fish parts and guts in the dump and the flies feast on it. Roger Cliffton used to donate lime to cover these fish parts and stop the fly population. I think Roger is gone now and no one is keeping the lime campaign going. The city should address the problem just for the tourist traffic.
Why aren't the fish parts being dumped back in the ocean instead of ending up in a dump?

Roberto

Well Known Member
I know the dump contributes to the problem but it is everywhere at times. I stopped on Highway 2, before the Agriculture/military stop, out in the middle of nowhere all desert, and the flies mobbed into the car. Ag inspector asked if we had any fruits or plants and I replied, "No, solo moskas".

gup

flies-

I've always felt that the flies were, at least in part, coming from what I called the "open
t*rd sewage farm" on the N. side of the road back in to town from Playa Encanto.
It"s the large tree foliage area and the area where you want close outside car vents, to ovoid the stench.

The city fathers saw fit to enclose the sewage plants in town!!!

Gup

falsent

I miss Duna's
It was really bad in Las Conchas...can anyone get with the board and get the lime spreading going again...if that is the problem...

Roberto

Well Known Member
This infestation seems to occur then go away. The regular fly problem here is just not that great. I wonder if it has to do with the big rain we had, somehow markedly increasing the survival rate of the eggs laid. BTW the usual life span is 20 to 30 days but the females are fertile almost immediately after leaving the maggot world and lay eggs in large numbers. We need an entomologist consult on this one.

Terry C

Well Known Member
I seen two flies (explicit) on my dash board on the way out. the other 150 in my truck were watching. :roll: