Making the Move -- Need lots of info

Greetings All,

My small family is looking to relocate to RP in the near future. I have been there as a kid but my husband and I are looking for that big life adventure and our 7 year son is already planning.

We are renting a home in Las Conchas from a friend and plan to not plan. We stay as long as we can stand it.

Can any of you tell me just generally about family life in RP? Even the little things like groceries and such. Things that maybe you wished you would have known before the move.

What should we bring? The dog? Cash?

Should we home school or is there a decent school?

I am an open book and every little bit of advise is welcome!

Thanks! And maybe we will see you soon

El Gato

It is a wonderful place for kids and dogs. Your dog needs a visit to the vet before you cross the border, making sure that he is in good heath and all his shots up to date. Don't bother to bring his dog food as they no longer let it across the border but it is easy to obtain here at any of the stores. They probably will want to see his paperwork as you cross into Mexico and might even take his picture (the dog, not your son).

You also might want to pick up a visa - making sure it is good for 6 months. They can be helpful if you are setting up a bank account, putting in for a long term visa (the old FM3 or FM2), or buying a house.

Shopping has gotten better in Penasco. There is a Sam's Club (US membership card is good here or you can buy one here); the Bodega, which is connected to WalMart, Super Ley and Santa Fe. One of the things we had to get used to was not a lot of frozen dinners to pop in the over. You do find your self eating much better - utilizing all the fresh fruits and veggies. Another thing my husband had to adjust to was the difference in taste of things that use sugar - now he doesn't care for US products that have a lot of sugar. Had a Fanta in the States last summer and it was so bad we tossed it - they, along with Coke, are soooo much better here.

You'll find lots of suggestions on where to shop for things and great places to eat from people on this forum. They truly are a great bunch.

Learn Spanish - at least a little bit. You don't have to as most here speak some English or will find someone that does. But if you are trying to learn it everyone is more then willing to help with your 'lessons' - your son will probably pick it up very quickly.

Driving around town: watch for Alto (stop) signs in the middle of the road or in hard to spot places. Stop. Don't expect other people to stop. Also be aware that people stop in the middle of the road to talk to friends - this is acceptable and you should either wait patiently or go around them carefully, maybe even saying hello yourself. Watch for dogs, kids, vendors, etc. in the roads - they wander. You will get spoiled driving here as it is much more relaxed then in the US - unless it is a holiday weekend lol.

There are tons of places to explore and enjoy, including the new movie complex. The Mall has started looking for businesses to lease spaces and, of course, the biggie is that the Home Cruise Port should start ground breaking soon - or at least 'manana'.

Ah, manana! Be aware that manana doesn't necessarily mean 'tomorrow', as in "I'll be there manana." Manana can mean different lengths of time. So relax - if it is a beautiful beach day the repairman you are waiting on has probably taken his family to the beach - so you might as well take yours :)

You will also find a lot of friends here - like most of the town. It is like the beauty of the sea brings out the beauty of friendship. Penasco is changing, it continues to grow, but the welcome stays the same - warm and friendly.

Now I'll quit taking up all of your time and let people who know what they are talking about get a word in.

Oh, for insurance you can't go wrong if you get yours through Rosie - she isn't only an agent but she is a friend and always there for you.

Welcome to Penasco!

Roberto

I'm a full timer here and have been for 7 or 8 years. Have crossed the border north twice now in the past 3 years or so. You may already know all of this but, if you live in Los Consciousness or Unconscious as I call it, you will not mingle much with the locals. Except for the occasional vendor and or repair/maintenance folks. In fact the entire community will be like a ghost town during the week with a little activity on weekends. You may enjoy the beach and isolation and peacefulness but you will have to go into town for all your needs, including dining out.

If you have lots of 'favorite' american foods, odds are you will not find them here. Hope your son is not a picky eater ! You can always go to the IGA store up in Ajo but there are numerous and more than adequet shopping opportunities for day to day stuff, even a Sams Club. The shelves are stocked with Mexican tasts in mind and you will find lots of unfamiliar stuff on the shelves. For fresh veggies and fruits I personally like the markets you find around town, like the open market stand on Sinaloa. Sea food abounds and you can feast on shrimp every day. The fish market in the Malecon is a reasonable place to buy sea food and you will find everything from flounder to clams for sale. There are lots of little stands set up around town selling seafood but I avoid them as I have no idea how long the stuff has laid in those blue coolers. When in season vendors will approach your vehicle at stop lights with with asparagras and strawberries and local cheeses as well. Shopping here can be a fun adventure unless you are real picky.

Lots of dining out opportunities. Personally I avoid the little hot dog and taco stands along the street that have no sanitary facilities. You will find Mary's Coctaleria in the Malecon and eventually Joliys Cenaduria over by Super Ley as two of the most favorite local places to eat.

School for a 7 year old with no spanish might be a tough one. Best bet might be the private school there off Fremont behind Bryan's Sports Bar. Others have been mentioned here. I would plan on doing a significant amount of home schooling and there are internet sources to help you with that. My neighbor uses a program located up in Phoenix and likes it. Problems with home schooling is the lack of social activities. If he's a sports guy there are little league teams and soccer teams around.

For money I used the bank cajeros, just like up in the US. Yes they charge a little bit but what with direct deposit of income it's the only way that works for me. Local banking is not a good option. They pay no interest and charge for large deposits and the service is horrendous.

Sure, bring the dog, just be sure you get the vet certificate before you cross as they have been real picky about that on the Mex side for some reason. Once here, no one cares unless the dog poops in the neighbors lot!

This is not a 'formal' town in any way so you can leave the suits and sequin dresses elsewhere. Shorts and sandals suffice 99% of the time. A good sun hat is a good idea.

One thing is that Penasco is not really a Mexican town. It is too close to the border and too much impacted by tourism to be real Mexico. Some of the street vendors can be tiresome in their persistence. All in all the local people are warm, friendly and helpful.

Roberto

Ditto on the driving advice and watch the bicycles and pedestrians too, especially after dark!!! Stop signs are not where you expect them and are often hidden, so as suggested relax and enjoy the drive. I had the misfortune of driving in Tucson last week and that made me realize one of the things I do not miss about US cities.

Roberto and El Gato,

Thank you so much for you advise.....
We do plan to take advantage of the free living in our friends home in Las "Unconscious" but do plan to explora all we can as I will be working some on line but the boys will be free.
We all know a little spanish but plan to beef that up before the move. So I'm leaning towards the house school at least to start.
We can't wait to live the manana lifestyle. We get it a little here in New Mexico but we long for the sea and old mexico. ;)

thanks all!!!

oh I forgot to ask about tennis...anyone down there play? I think my boys could live without sugary drinks, frozen dinners and traffic jams but not sure they can go too long without tennis.

badfish

Relaxed driving my ars! We go often and not on big weekends. Like the others said, keep an yet out for Alto signs and the people who do not see them or care that they are there.

mermaid

Don't forget about your mail. I have a P.O. Box in Lukeville. I use Buritto Express a mail service in Penasco that runs to the border three times a week and then delivers to my house three times a week for a small monthly fee. Somewhere around $38 a month. Well worth it.

El Gato

Didn't realize you could get house delivery - we've used them for over 2 1/2 years and have always gotten great service ($30/mo) - they will also take outgoing mail up to Lukeville for posting, sell stamps, etc. They do charge duty on packages - I think it goes by size, maybe? Never quite figured out the system. A couple of times the 'duty' has been more then what I paid for the item.

But it is a great service to have available and well worth the price. I just have to get off the beach or out of the chair on the terrace and go pick it up - have to admit sometimes weeks go by - just doesn't seem that important here :)

garyd

I am now living in Cabo but can tell you I really miss PP and all the friends there. It is a great place to live and I can almost guarantee you will love it

Roberto

So are you all from the 505?
All of me was for over 30 years. I'm solo now aqui in Penasco toto el tiempo. Still have one son in the big turkey. Plan on bing there on June 13 for Sandia Pueblo's feast day to visit old friends. Did not miss for 20 years till I moved here. Worked at Isleta also.