Margarita recipe argument thread

I should not even go here but what is your favorite margarita recipe? Also where and under what circumstances did you enjoy your best margarita?

My friend uses lime-aid in his marg mix and then serves his margs frozen and slushy- they are very dangerous!! My favorite margarita ever was quaffed in Alfonsina's bar at Gonzaga bay.

Estero

I should not even go here but what is your favorite margarita recipe? Also where and under what circumstances did you enjoy your best margarita?

My friend uses lime-aid in his marg mix and then serves his margs frozen and slushy- they are very dangerous!! My favorite margarita ever was quaffed in Alfonsina's bar at Gonzaga bay.
I too have had the margs many times at Alfonsina's. They always seemed like the best but my buddy swore it was only because we'd just spent hours on the moto's and were dusty and beat.

I too have had the margs many times at Alfonsina's. They always seemed like the best but my buddy swore it was only because we'd just spent hours on the moto's and were dusty and beat.
Same here. I think we had been on the bikes for 6 hours when we hit Alfonsina's . Started drinking a beer and a marg on the same order and ordered many times :)

A trip to RP and a bucket of margs coming in april. We make ours with 3 parts silver tequila 1 part triple sec or gran marnier and 4 parts sweet and sour. Either a lemon or a lime based sweet and sour is just fine. We use a silver tequila because the full tequila flavor comes through. Shaken hard like a martini on the rocks. Kosher salt on the rim. Feet in the sand on the mirador beach watching the sunset.

Only because it's 4 in the morning and I am sick and can't sleep I'll add some "fuel to the fire" by suggesting this. Assuming you use silver tequila, most people cannot taste the difference between and expensive tequila and an inexpensively priced tequila in a margarita, with a couple of exceptions. You notice I did not say "cheap" tequila (like margaritaville or something similar). This has been born out many time in taste tests.

The second exception is that you will taste a difference between mild/smooth tequila's like Milagro or Tres Generaciones and a tequila with more bite like Suaza or Avion.

Another strange thing I have noticed through repeated experimentation (for scientific purposes only) is that after 4 or 5 margaritas they all seem to taste the same no matter what ingrediants I use. I will continue to repeat this test for the sake of good science.

Since you're assuming silver, I don't know. While an earlier poster mentioned (preferred?) Silver, Reposado is generally recommended for margaritas, as most people look for "smoother" Reposado rather than "bity" Silver. Depending on proportion of tequila to other components, what those other components are, plus "most peoples' taste buds," a cheaper brand might not be detected. However, taste tests that I have conducted over the years among numerous guests proved that quality matters -- with Reposado, at least. That said, quality does not always go exactly according to cost.

My test kitchen has also amazingly proven that all versions taste just fine after the first. Keep up the noble cause.