Market indicators

Roberto

Have had two confirmable reports directly from people involved in construction in AZ that things are turning around quickly. Both had nice properties offered for sale in Penasco at killer prices and both have taken them off the market because business in AZ is very good for them and they no longer are desperate for money.

This might mean that real estate prices in Penasco will start to increase soon. Good time to buy one of Jerry's lots in Santo Thomas or even better, buy my house Hacienda Nuevo Leon !!!!

Roberto

More indications that the market is moving. I know personally of three recent sales of properties that would have been high dollar beachfront in the fast times that have sold for 1/2 to 1/3 of top price all were purchased by investors intending to invest big dollars immediately into renovation with an eye to investment. These are serious, experienced investors, not flaky dreamers.

Last edited:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
New home construction in Az is picking up because the resale market is a complete fiasco.

Willing buyers are making full price offers on homes, only to have the appraisal come back too low, killing the entire deal.

Cash deals are just about the only ones guaranteed to make it to escrow.

My wife and I have placed in excess of 5 offers on houses we WANTED to own and move into over the past year, only to have the appraiser come in and ****-can the whole deal.

So, we bought a lot, and are building our own house.

Our builder says the same thing you are saying about business picking up, but my mother (the real estate broker) says the resale market is still one giant cluster-foobar.

playaperro

El Pirata
The only ones buying are major investor's with over 500 homes in their port, cash, so many that the bottom of the barrel in gone. They will hold on to them for 5 to 7 years and then will see what happens.

Terry C

Investors, ( real estate investment trusts ) with big bucks are paying above prices with cash and they are renting them out. Scouts are getting them before a real buyer can even see a house. The new trend for a few years and then they will sell them.

Roberto

Our builder says the same thing you are saying about business picking up, but my mother (the real estate broker) says the resale market is still one giant cluster-foobar.
Do you or she, think that is becaude of the refi problems or the appraisal? Maybe they are the same? BTW, we are experiencing the same flip, high appraisal, lower sale price. Does no kill the sale here because there is no financing to speak of but the seller's Cap Gains are high.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Do you or she, think that is becaude of the refi problems or the appraisal? Maybe they are the same? BTW, we are experiencing the same flip, high appraisal, lower sale price. Does no kill the sale here because there is no financing to speak of but the seller's Cap Gains are high.

She thinks it's the appraisers. She has choice words regarding her assessment of their competence.

wprsly

Indicator....Rockypoint Dan is trying to move a unit in Privada for $349,000. That is not a sign of a robust market, is it?

ben21

I've followed listings in RP for the last 2 years now and everything I see continues to show that the market is still bouncing around the bottom. Once Phoenix is back to normal, RP will follow w/ steady (3-6%) appreciation.

Phoenix has seen big gains in the last year, but as mentioned above, this is due to huge out of state investors. Once normal people can buy and the market becomes regular, then the natural transition is for people to start looking into vacation homes.

I have heard this before, and I do think the market is bouncing, there are more investors here in Rocky Point, people are selling cheaper, but only the people with the big pockets are the ones taking advantage of this, the rich get richer kind of deal. But I do hope for those that we work on the Rental/Real Estate (Rocky Point Rentals - Rocky Point Mexico Vacation Rental - Puerto Penasco Home Rentals by the way) that everything changes for the better.

More and more Rocky Point is getting tourism from different locations not only USA, but I think Rocky Point still depends from the US so we also have to wait to see and what happens with the election.

mis2810

I have heard this before, and I do think the market is bouncing, there are more investors here in Rocky Point, people are selling cheaper, but only the people with the big pockets are the ones taking advantage of this, the rich get richer kind of deal. But I do hope for those that we work on the Rental/Real Estate (Rocky Point Rentals - Rocky Point Mexico Vacation Rental - Puerto Penasco Home Rentals by the way) that everything changes for the better.

More and more Rocky Point is getting tourism from different locations not only USA, but I think Rocky Point still depends from the US so we also have to wait to see and what happens with the election.
I don't see how the results of the election would change anything? The economic collapse started under Bush, the fear of Mexico grew under Obama (the media's fault, not Obama's). If Mitt Romney wins do you think people will feel more comfortable spending money? Or less afraid to cross the border? Highly doubtful.

Well I am not trying to make this a political Argument, and I am not even in favor of any candidate because I am Mexican. The only thing I know is what I have read about Romney foreign policies he wants to open more Nafta, this could have a bad impact on Rocky Point but also there could also be a lot of more money flowing but sometimes only big companies benefit from globalization and this not help the fair trade. But don't believe me I barely speak english.

azfish

I predict that the banks are going to do the same thing they did back in 05 and we will see another crash or double dip.

jerry

I talked with a guy that owns 20 properties in Penasco...he is now doing great on rental income but thinks small timers...one to five .. Just can't make a buck long term..
Advice...from San Carlos Forum
Ok...Illegal??? Or just plain stupid??? Both!!!

The hoops to jump through to legally rent out a casa are costly and encombering. Most who rent out are doing it illegally and the others are nonexistant.

The Risks of Buying Investment Property in Mexico

Suggest reading the whole thing before purchasing rental property.

The Risks of Buying Investment Property in Mexico

With its stunning beauty, warm climate, friendly people, and low prices, it is very tempting to buy real estate in Mexico. We know it is risky, but it is hard to know exactly what the risks are and how to avoid them. I have bought five condos now in Mexico and have learned something new on each deal. Americans are accustomed to a high level of legal protection for transfer of title but this does not exist to such an extent in Mexico.
There are number of common risks areas to look out for and the following list is my no means exhaustive.

The agents are not licensed or bonded. Many agents, though members of the local MLS, do not know the market very well. Some do not know or even care if properties they are selling have title problems. If you send a down payment to an agent, the agent could disappear with your money. This has happened before. Even if it is a U.S. name franchise, if there is a problem, they will likely claim it is a different entity in Mexico.

Escrow agents are not bonded. It has been known for Escrow agents to empty out their escrow account and flee.

You are well advised to use a U.S. escrow. Fidelity Title in New York and Stewart Title in Houston offer escrow services. They will hold your money in a U.S. account until funds are to be disbursed based on the terms of your offer. Many Mexican escrow agents or real estate agents have U.S. accounts, but they can easily transfer funds into associated Mexican accounts.
A large percentage of the properties have title problems. You need to get title insurance. Even if you ask for title insurance and pay for it, you might not ever receive a policy. It is possible for a seller to sell a "promise to make a promise" and you'd never know you are getting a property with title problems. The escrow agents are recommended by the real estate agents, and have every incentive to make sure your cash gets disbursed.

The closing process is complicated and expensive. Foreigners buying near the coast or border have to obtain a foreign investment permit, and are required to hold title through a bank trust Fideicomiso.

There is an annual fee for the services of the trustee, about $300-500 per year.The amount of the annual fee is set in your trust documents so make sure your closing agent shops around. There is a big transfer tax. Expect to pay at least US$7,000 in closing fees which is non recoverable when you sell.
If you have any title problems it can take years to get it cleared. Make sure you hire an attorney to help you get clean title. Ask the seller if they have U.S. title insurance and if they have their Fideicomiso.

If the seller doesn't have a Fideicomiso, there is a reason why, usually some title problem. If the seller has a Fideicomiso, that is not a guarantee that they have clean title.

Don’t underreport transfer values. People used to under-report values so the seller could pay less capital gains tax, and buyer could pay less transfer tax. But the government has caught on.

If you do this, or allow the seller to do this, you will find yourself liable for the seller's capital gains. If the seller doesn't pay their capital gains, for any reason, you have to pay it. So you have to modify the contract to state that the seller doesn't get any money until they pay their capital gains taxes. You need an attorney to do that for you.

There is a rich history of re-socializing property. Watch out for Ejidos (communal farming land). In case of any dispute, the agrarian judge always rules in favor of the Ejido. In the Puenta Banda story in Ensenada, there were rumors of corruption, maps being redrawn, etc.

If you stay 183 days, you are a Mexican resident for tax purposes and subject to Mexican income tax on your worldwide income.
If you do have income in Mexico, you are supposed to pay estimated taxes every month. It is a nuisance, and the tax hurts your cash flow. You don’t get the deductions you get in the U.S. Tax is based on gross rent.

Mexican tax laws change all the time. Capital gains taxes weren’t too bad if you were a resident for a couple of years before you sold. But that exemption is no longer there. Capital gains taxes are huge. Your capital gains taxes go down the longer you own a place.

Now that you have a foreign trust, you have to file special documents with the IRS that no accountant knows about, forms 3520 and 3520A. If you don't do it in time (and it isn't the normal tax deadline),the penalties can be drastic.

It is hard to get money out of Mexico. One way I've figured out to do it is via an ATM card. Bank drafts are too expensive. Their mail system is too slow and not trustworthy. But there is no problem getting money from the U.S. to Mexico using Western Union.

To open a Mexican bank account, you first need an FM3 visa and a Mexican light bill. You can get the FM3 (365 day visa) from a Mexican consulate with three month's of bank statements showing above some amount (around $1000) deposited each month. You also need photos without glasses, and you need to pay in cash. You also technically need the FM3 to own real estate in Mexico. And if you are going to rent out your property, you need a “lucrativo” FM3 which has additional requirements (hire a lawyer to help you upgrade your FM3). The FM3 makes it easier to enter Mexico (you can use the Mexican citizen line) but more difficult to leave (you have to get permission to reenter from immigration at the airport, and they will ask you what you have been doing in Mexico).

You have to repeat the FM3 process when you arrive in Mexico and register with local immigration. You basically need the same documents all over again.

You have to renew your visa in the exact same town year after year. There is a lot of corruption in the Immigration department. The easiest way to renew a visa is to hire a lawyer and pay them a fee to help you renew the visa.

To get the utilities changed to your name (which you need to do to open a bank account), you need a full copy of your trust documents and the photo page of your FM3 and an old light bill from the previous owner (or at least their name or the address).

If you want to actually use the condo yourself, you will need to find a manager who is willing to do short term rentals. Good managers can be hard to find.

You have to bargain. Asking price is not necessarily close to true market value. There are MLS "sold" books but the agents do not report any data. You could hire an escrow agent to search public records for neighboring properties, but you will have to pay for the service. You will have to convert pesos into dollars using the exchange rate in place at the time. Also, many values are underreported. Make low offers and be patient. You'd be surprised. A lot of owners want out badly for whatever reason (e.g., high condo association fees, inherited property).

Standard real estate commission is 10%. There are big savings to be made by avoiding properties that are on the MLS. But you need the advice of someone who knows the market. And you need a lawyer.

Be aware that it can be hard to sell in Mexico. Because agents often set the asking price too high, pendencies can be long.

Make other owners, property managers, and condo association managers your first source of information. Don't waste your time with agents who don’t know the comps(use agents with lots of experience). The managers can sometimes help you find a condo at a reduced commission. The real estate agents are not legal experts and will not guarantee you clean title. Other owners will give you candid advice and can be found on VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner.

Don’t use a short “offer to purchase” form supplied by a real estate agent. Those typically only protect commissions. Get a lawyer to draft a “pro-buyer” offer for you. Make sure to address that U.S. escrow will be used, that the recorded value will be the actual contract value, that no funds will be disbursed until your attorney is satisfied with the commitment for title insurance, that no funds will be disbursed to the seller until capital gains taxes have been paid, and that unit will be sold as shown, with no furniture removed.

Edited to remove duplicate language.

Last edited on Sat Jan 26th, 2013 04:12 pm by bartmanaz