Memorial day crowds

El Gato

The most crowded I've ever seen Sandy Beach - and it looked like everyone was having a really great time.

Rhino

Great to see us coming back so strong! We were supposed to be down but plans go altered at the last minute...too bad!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've been here since Friday but what with the Jeep, my potluck and boat ride yesterday I have yet to make it to the beach. How was the Mirador yesterday?

Friend just posted a pic on Facebook of the two-mile-long line from Sonoyta to the border as she's coming into Mexico. Stay an extra day, people! (Or at least until after sunset.)

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
We left town at 3:19 pm arrived at Sonoyta at 4:20pm and the line of cars was at the base of the Circle K/Pemex store across from El Sarape taco stand, about a 4 to 6 hour wait, they had all 5 lanes open, all and all it took us about 20 minutes to cross the line, like I said before, take the shuttle and your money is worth just avoiding long waites at the border!!
round trip ticket from Tucson to RP $150 or $80 on WEEKEND SPECIAL
Chilaquiles, delish breakfast at Cafe La Cita $5
burned gas while waiting at the border in your hot car for 5 hours $50
lost time at the border waiting to go to US $100
taking the shuttle and have no wait at the border PRICELESS!!

Rocky Point Rides

I heard on the radio (sol) this morning that during Memorial weekend RP had a 85% occupancy, 32K visitors approx. from AZ, CA, NM, TX, BC, CH, and Sinaloa, that spread approx. 1.3 million dollars I say pretty good for all the tourist related businesses!!!
I personally had an excellent day at the Biz Expo on Saturday, quite a few people there, hopefully there will be more events like that one coming to town!!!

Rocky Point Rides

$1.3 million/32k visitors=$40 per person. Seems a little lite.
Well, it does seem a little low, however I brought 3 people that where staying in there own house (Cholla), no room rental there and they did mention that they did ate and drunk at home more than in other occassions, however they had a group of almost 12 staying with them and went out drinking 2 nights out of 3 so they did left some money in the bars, am sure that Wreck at the reef got all their money at $3 per Tecate beer instead of El Caballero bar in the middle of town at $1 a beer for locals!!

One thing is for sure, no matter how you want to look at it or break it down there was a lot more people than last years Memorial day!!!