Merchandise into Mexico

azbillsfan12

I need to bring a new A/C unit for my RV to Rocky Point. What is the monetary limit before I have claim when crossing the border.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Can anybody confirm the $300 per person duty free limit increase? I thought it was still $75.
http://yucalandia.com/answers-to-common-questions/what-can-i-bring-into-mexico-mexican-customs-rules-the-article/#In which cases should I pay taxes
"Please note that as of Dec. 5, 2013, SAT/Aduana has issued new Duty Free limits for people entering Mexico by air and by land. The new year round limits are $500 US dollars per person entering Mexico by air, and $300 US dollars per person by land. Note that these are the year round limits."
"If you exceed this exemption, or if your family’s combined amount exceeds the combined exemption, you must pay duties and taxes. There is a flat 16% rate of duties and taxes, which is applied only to the amount exceeding the exemption (individual or combined). You must fill out a payment form, which is available at the Customs counter. If the value of the goods surpasses one thousand dollars (per family member) after subtracting the US$300 exemption, or if any of the goods is subject to non-tariff regulations or restrictions, you must hire the services of a customs broker."

apricot

Well Known Member
Clear as mud. In Jan, we are planning on bringing a new $400 chair down. It will just be the two of us. If we tell them that this is all we will be bringing down for 2015, we should be fine without having to pay the 16% tax since we should be able to bring down $600 worth of goods for an entire year....is that correct?

Roberto

Well Known Member
If you have a truck, just put it in the back and have someone sit in it while you cross !! Tell them it is part of the truck. :cool::cool:

JimMcG

Well Known Member
A few weeks ago two of us came down with an ac unit in the bed of an extended cab truck with a truck bed lid on it. As it happened we got the red light and were pulled over, whereupon a very serious Mexican official immediately lifted the truck bed lid, inspected the contents and came forward to have a look in the extended cab area after requesting that I open the door for him. He unzipped one bag and all he asked us was whether we had a place down there, without actually mentioning the ac unit. After that he waived us through with a " que vaya bien". This official seemed to be from a different team than the normal customs officials and may have been looking for something very specific which we obviously didn't have. We didn't hang around to find out and headed for the Penasco beaches.
Most recently we have been under the impression that we would be allowed a $75 crossing exemption per person although in past years it has been reportedly as high as $300. We are usually prepared to think on our feet depending who stops us and what the game appears to be at the time.

Last edited:

brokenwave

Well Known Member
The past 2 times I crossed with paint, some large dual pane windows and other assorted items I got the red light,
they looked at the items and I told them they were for my house in Cholla, they also said ok and passé.
Things have sure changed from 10-15 years ago when I had to always bring some extra $20's with me to
pay the Mordida.

apricot

Well Known Member
Most recently we have been under the impression that we would be allowed a $75 crossing exemption per person although in past years it has been reportedly as high as $300.
That was exactly my impression....that it had been as high as $300, but when it came down to it, they were only allowing $75.

mis2810

Well Known Member
I printed out that page for them that said $300 per person. We had about $450 worth of stuff in the car got the read light and showed them our receipts and the printout. No problem at all.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
This is what the Rocky Point Times is opining on the topic:

You are allowed to bring in $75.00 USD per person worth of new merchandise – this does not include your personal items such as clothing, toiletries, etc. If you have new merchandise in excess of $75 per person you will need to declare your items and pay the impuestos (taxes) before crossing into Mexico. You may import up to $1,000 USD in new merchandise per vehicle without the assistance of a Customs Broker. To declare items you are bringing into Mexico, turn left as you cross the border, just beyond the chainlink fence. Park in the designated spot and go into the Aduana Building in the middle of the two lanes. See Crossing the Border for more information on declaring merchandise. If your merchandise totals more than $1,000 USD per vehicle, you will need the assistance of a customs broker. Customs brokers are located on the Mexican side of the border. Park on the U.S. side and walk across to one of their offices. Customs Brokers in Sonoyta, Mex. Agencia Ibarrola (011-52-651) 512-1878 Aserco Imp. (011-52-651) 512-0009 MultiServicios Sinaloa (011-52-651) 512-1593 or 1599

apricot

Well Known Member
I printed out that page for them that said $300 per person. We had about $450 worth of stuff in the car got the read light and showed them our receipts and the printout. No problem at all.
Was this recently? There is so much conflicting information on this topic. I like your idea of printing out the page about $300/person. I think that's what we'll do too along with the receipt. Thanks for the idea.

mis2810

Well Known Member
This was 2 months ago. I'll see if I can find the paper, it's probably still in the glove compartment and I'll scan and post.

hammockpilot

I am building in Penasco, and despite information here and on official pages, I am still confused about what is really duty free. my concern is importing construction material such as doors and windows ( yes I know about local shopping) . I read that because of NAFTA , some goods are exempt. has anyone any experience with actually bringing similar items through at Sonoyta ( legally) . Taxes I'm pretty clear on and ok with, import duty is my concern.

Landshark

Well Known Member
The site I quoted said the increase to $300 when entering by land went into effect 12/5/13 or a little less than a year ago. Other sites are outdated. It appears the RP Times info is outdated.
The official Mexican Aduana site seems to be saying that the $75/$300 per person exemption depends upon whether Mexico is entered by land or sea/air.
http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2010/Descargas/DECLARACION_ADUANAS_INGLES_18102010.pdf
Jim, this info is from 2009/2010 and appears to be outdated as well.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
The site I quoted said the increase to $300 when entering by land went into effect 12/5/13 or a little less than a year ago. Other sites are outdated. It appears the RP Times info is outdated.

Jim, this info is from 2009/2010 and appears to be outdated as well.
I couldn't find a more recent, official Mexican government link to support that $300 'by land' claim. Did you find one?
The official link that the author referenced only brought us back to her article.