Mexicali to Rocky Point

Hi there-

We will be traveling from the Mexicali Airport to Rocky Point next month. I would like to know the best, fastest and safest way to get there.

Your advice will be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks a lot!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Mexical east 1 hour 15 minutes to San Luis 5 miles east of San Luis on Highway 2 turn South to El Golfo Santa Clara on a well marked and very nice toll road (94 pesos or about 8.00 usd. in 40 minutes turn left at the only "t" you will come to and head toward El Golfo. Before you get to El golfo turn left at the "T" that takes you to Puerto Penasco. 1 hour 40 minutes later you will see the condos of Sandy Beach ahead of youyou will make a quik left then a quick right on a brand new road which takes you directly to Sandy Beach resorts area. From Sandy beach you will be able to venture into the town pretty easy, enjoy the ride it is beautiful.

garyd

Mexical east 1 hour 15 minutes to San Luis 5 miles east of San Luis on Highway 2 turn South to El Golfo Santa Clara on a well marked and very nice toll road (94 pesos or about 8.00 usd. in 40 minutes turn left at the only "t" you will come to and head toward El Golfo. Before you get to El golfo turn left at the "T" that takes you to Puerto Penasco. 1 hour 40 minutes later you will see the condos of Sandy Beach ahead of youyou will make a quik left then a quick right on a brand new road which takes you directly to Sandy Beach resorts area. From Sandy beach you will be able to venture into the town pretty easy, enjoy the ride it is beautiful.
Do you have to go thru San Luis or can yo head south East and pick up the Hi Way that way?

I never go though San Luis. It takes too much time. I go south on Hwy 5 toward San Felipe, East on Hwy 4 and south again on Hwy 3 to El Golfo. Hwy 4 is a rual road but is a nice drive. Roads are not well marked so you need a map or TOM TOM. I head for Rocky Point once a month. I come home through Lukeville because of no wait time at the border. It's longer but I don't have the wait time at the Federal check point or the boarder.

Rick
Cholla Bay.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I never go though San Luis. It takes too much time. I go south on Hwy 5 toward San Felipe, East on Hwy 4 and south again on Hwy 3 to El Golfo. Hwy 4 is a rual road but is a nice drive. Roads are not well marked so you need a map or TOM TOM. I head for Rocky Point once a month. I come home through Lukeville because of no wait time at the border. It's longer but I don't have the wait time at the Federal check point or the boarder.

Rick
Cholla Bay.
Yeah thats a good way Rick, but I am a seasoned traveler and get lost going that way. I find mt way through but I was answering a question for a first timer going through this way. Almost impossible to lose your way. No problems just solutions!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Mexical east 1 hour 15 minutes to San Luis 5 miles east of San Luis on Highway 2 turn South to El Golfo Santa Clara on a well marked and very nice toll road (94 pesos or about 8.00 usd. in 40 minutes turn left at the only "t" you will come to and head toward El Golfo. Before you get to El golfo turn left at the "T" that takes you to Puerto Penasco. 1 hour 40 minutes later you will see the condos of Sandy Beach ahead of you, you will stay straight on a brand new road which takes you directly to Sandy Beach resorts area. From Sandy beach you will be able to venture into the town pretty easy, enjoy the ride it is beautiful.
I edited the turn left the right part. It is a straight shot from the el Golfo road to the Sandy Beach resorts

garyd

Rick
Cholla Bay.
What is TOM TOM?

TOM TOM is my navigation system. Mine was pretty accurate down in Mexico. I have also printed out a google map which makes it pretty clear.

Rick
Cholla Bay

diegoxx

Pinto:
Do you cross in Tecate and by-pass Mexicali as well? Took 5/4/3 once but crossed in Mexicali. Concur on route back to SD. Went El Golfo route last Sunday and had 50 minutes at military checkpoint and 2 hrs at Calexico East. Sucked ass. BTW all my interactions with policia have been between San Luis and El Golfo but of course speed was a factor.

diegoxx,
I cross in Mexicali. It's better than crossing in Yuma. Like I said earlier I cross back into the US through Lukeville. It's longer but I am always moving and I know pretty close to what time I will arrive home.

Rick
Cholla Bay

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
According to the federale that pulled me over between San Luis and El Golfo for what you may call a speed infraction.....he said to watch out for deer on the highway! I have never seen deer on the highway by the way. Other than that drive during daylight as there are animals and some folks drive erratically at night. It is a good drive