Mexican Cell Phone Question

mis2810

Well Known Member
Just want to confirm that if I buy an unlocked GSM phone here from ebay, I can go to the Telcel store in RP and buy SIM card for it. I want it to call other parts of Mexico while I'm in RP and to also call the US..

I bought the same phone at WalMart in RP in June but I need another one.

Thanks.

jerry

Well Known Member
for calls to and from the states i have a att gophone...works great 25 cents a minute to call the states pnone costs 18 bucks Target has them among many stores

aprilsuzanne55

BeachGirl
for calls to and from the states i have a att gophone...works great 25 cents a minute to call the states pnone costs 18 bucks Target has them among many stores
The under $20 AT&T GoPhone now has a 10 cent per minute plan for USA calls only, or they have a $2 per day plan for talk and text to US, Canada, Mexico, and 100 other countries, and they charge you only on the days you use the phone!

playaperro

El Pirata
Kind of nice to have a mex phone number make local call and to the usa to, that way you know your american cell is not in the water...

mis2810

Well Known Member
I really like the cheap little Mexican cell phone we bought in June at the Bodega Aurera in RP. It was $219 pesos and we can recharge airtime over the internet whenever we need it. It worked perfectly for us calling the US from RP and calling Mexico City from RP.

I'll be back down to RP for a week in October while my husband is in Mexico City. He'll take one of the Mexican cell phones with him and I'll have the other with me in RP.

GV Jack

Snorin God
I really like the cheap little Mexican cell phone we bought in June at the Bodega Aurera in RP. It was $219 pesos and we can recharge airtime over the internet whenever we need it. It worked perfectly for us calling the US from RP and calling Mexico City from RP.

I'll be back down to RP for a week in October while my husband is in Mexico City. He'll take one of the Mexican cell phones with him and I'll have the other with me in RP.
Is the airtime Telcel and what does it cost?

jerry

Well Known Member
Sorry it is 10 cents a minute and you can get more time via phone or internet
The under $20 AT&T GoPhone now has a 10 cent per minute plan for USA calls only, or they have a $2 per day plan for talk and text to US, Canada, Mexico, and 100 other countries, and they charge you only on the days you use the phone!

mis2810

Well Known Member

Yes, it's Telcel. I don't remember the exact cost per minute. We charged it up with $500 pesos when we bought it and they gave us another $300 pesos for free. I've charged it up 3 or 4 times with no more than $300 pesos each time and they've always given no less than $150 pesos for free each time. I've used it ALOT to call the US while in RP thinking my credit would run out and it never has. You can check the balance right on the phone.